super 17 on a 1z

norel

TDI
2004 alh wagon, 91 golf 1z, 05 golf, 05 passat, 06 jetta
I picked up a b4 passat a couple years ago in fort Collins for the engine. When I pulled it I noticed it had a strange looking turbo. There wasn't a whole lot of markings on it, but it said super 17. I called kerma at the time and the only info I got was "run 24 lbs." I didn't want to bother them anymore at the time and left it at that.

So I have a few questions.

A little use of the search button seems to indicate that possibly only a few dozen of these turbos were made?

Also it seems that it was comparable to a k03/04 hybrid?

It looks like there were some longevity problems with some turbos from this builder?

Is this sucker safe to run?

How much fuel can this turbo handle? (I don't care about smoke it's a lifted mk2 golf mostly driven off road)

The turbo seems to have seen little use. Basically no shaft play, car had only 111k on it and had upgraded injectors/turbo but no tuning.(or title ) The turbo seemed responsive in b4 but didn't have a Gauge at the time. I'm just curious as to how this turbo compares to vnt 15, vnt 17 va from bhw, or mk2 k14, as that's what I have on shelf right now...

Thanks for your input

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I picked up a b4 passat a couple years ago in fort Collins for the engine. When I pulled it I noticed it had a strange looking turbo. There wasn't a whole lot of markings on it, but it said super 17. I called kerma at the time and the only info I got was "run 24 lbs." I didn't want to bother them anymore at the time and left it at that.

So I have a few questions.

A little use of the search button seems to indicate that possibly only a few dozen of these turbos were made?

Also it seems that it was comparable to a k03/04 hybrid?

It looks like there were some longevity problems with some turbos from this builder?
Pics would be a big help... Its really hard to say without pulling it apart and measuring things otherwise.

if its the street toys one, yes to all 3...

Is this sucker safe to run?

How much fuel can this turbo handle? (I don't care about smoke it's a lifted mk2 golf mostly driven off road)

The turbo seems to have seen little use. Basically no shaft play, car had only 111k on it and had upgraded injectors/turbo but no tuning.(or title ) The turbo seemed responsive in b4 but didn't have a Gauge at the time.

if everything looks to be in working order, run it. the amount of fuel is less relevant than how fast you make it spin... you can smoke like a coal train as long as you dont ask the shaft to spin faster than it was intended to by running higher boost than you should.

I'm just curious as to how this turbo compares to vnt 15, vnt 17 va from bhw, or mk2 k14, as that's what I have on shelf right now...

Thanks for your input

I ran 21psi on a 15/17 hybrid and beat it mercilessly... but i dont think the turbine housing can flow much more than that through it. You just wind up with high EMPs... i was probably pushing it too hard honestly.

Best case is to buy one of the dual needle gauges with boost and EMP in one pod. EMP should spike in order to spool it but shouldnt be considerably higher than the boost once spooled. if EMP is like double the boost, that is a sign of inefficiency and you are asking too much from the turbo.

as for comparison to the VNTs... it will never spool as fast as one, but will handle being abused better than the vnt15 will. In terms of technology, this turbo is probably only a step or 2 above the K14 whereas a modern turbo is like walking up a whole flight of steps past that K14.

Where in WI are you? Im also from the land of snow in friggin april

norel

TDI
It's a street toys as I recall it had a large ST stamp on it. No pics now as its in the mk2. May have old pics. I'd like to put some nozzles in somewhere between bsla 150 p 764 and dlc 1019, and leave the option of putting in an 11 mm pump later. I figure it should be pretty simple to run 20 lbs of boost with a dawes device and maybe potentiometer added to to ecu. I did it with my ahu, just don't remember if it was dawes with bleeder or two dawes?

I'd like to make double stock torque basically. If I can do it with this turbo, new nozzles and no tune, great. If I need to get tune I'd rather just upgrade to vnt 17 or hybrid I think. If consensus is that it's a grenade, vnt time as well.

I'm near madison, just moved back from park co. Colorado to get away from this weather....

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I'd like to make double stock torque basically. If I can do it with this turbo, new nozzles and no tune, great. If I need to get tune I'd rather just upgrade to vnt 17 or hybrid I think. If consensus is that it's a grenade, vnt time as well.
Bottom end of the 1Z won't handle that very well.

norel

TDI
Crap, I totally forgot 1z doesn't have forged stuff of ahu. The car was $800 and I horde mk2 tdi swap stuff, couldn't help my self

I saw the thread on the turbo above, but can't find the one I saw when I bought engine, claiming a .46? Wheel from a turbo used on a volvo? Kind of a moot point now, I'm not going to push it with this engine anyway I guess.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
The 1z bottom end should be fine. It doesnt sound like you are heading over 200hp.