2006 Jetta TDI PD a BRM or BEW?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I was thinking of buying a 2006 TDI with 134,000 Km's for $11,900. Is it a BRM or a BEW engine as I believe it could be either one in it, and are they any good? The date the car was made says 7-2005 in the drivers door sill. Please get back and thank-you all.

vincedeon

TDI
2006 Jetta
It is easy to tell the options - open the trunk, lift up the lid in the trunk where the spare tire is, and the options sticker is staring you in the face. The engine code is printed on this sticker. If it's a BRM engine, the Dual Mass Flywheel should also be inspected as long as the cam is being checked. At 119,000km, some would say it's also about 10k out from needing a timing belt replacement. When the valve cover is removed for the cam inspection, the timing belt is visible.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
If this is a Jetta wagon then it is a BEW engine. If it is a sedan then it is a BRM engine. Timing belt needs to be done at 160,000 km.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I could not look at the cam but did get the engine warmed up to normal temp checked to see how smooth it was. The engine was in the dealer parking lot then and I opened the hold and watched and the engine and it was smooth, with very little movement. A very good VW mech., that I use says if they are ruff, then a bad cam. The clutch I tested at 60 Km in 4th gear and put pedal to the floor and no sudder, nice and smooth. Again mech., advice.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I have been told by my A1 VW mech., do not let them go pass 120,000 Km's, as the so called long life belts is BS and he is seeing the new belts let go shortly after the old 120,000 limit. They are not even making it close to the new 160,000 km limit and all kinds are letting go.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
FXDL said:
I have been told by my A1 VW mech., do not let them go pass 120,000 Km's, as the so called long life belts is BS and he is seeing the new belts let go shortly after the old 120,000 limit. They are not even making it close to the new 160,000 km limit and all kinds are letting go.
who is your mechanic?

I know many people who have done 160 on those belts.

With that said, you are your own warranty. I won't take a chance pushing mine to 160, but I also won't let some mechanic scare me into changing it early.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Ok thanks guys, I'll go the 120K route as its tuned and I am sure its putting more stress on the belt than the stock tune would.