Anybody consider the VW GTI to replace you TDI hatch??

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
1. On 2016, gas filler says 87 is all you need, but yes, performance figures were done on premium/91. I've been using 89 mostly, occasionally splurging for 93. I've been trying to behave, so haven't noticed huge differences in general around-town driving with the different fuels. But also do agree about trying to avoid carbon build-up.

2. We got $5500 off our MY16. That was mid-September. MY16s I bet are getting harder to find at this point - I jumped specifically because the dealer found, and retrieved, the exact model/color we were after. Also, parking the JSW TDI has felt good/less worrisome.

3. My sister has a loaded MY16 Crosstrek. The CVT is not my cup of tea. Also, no hatch in WRX = fail.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I bought a GTI in August to replace our JSW (although we are planning to keep the JSW for a year or two).

I'm very happy with it so far. The only downside is that the last time I opened the hatch of the JSW, I said to myself "wow that's a huge cargo area".

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
The only downside is that the last time I opened the hatch of the JSW, I said to myself "wow that's a huge cargo area".
I said the same thing to myself this past weekend when I was debating which car to take one of the dogs to the beach in. The JSW swallows a reasonable size crate (which helps contain fur/salt/sand/wet), and I wasn't quite ready to sully the GTI with dog funk. So, off to the beach for one of its last outings went the JSW. I may have driven through some huge puddles on purpose (eastern MA got pummeled Friday night).

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I said the same thing to myself this past weekend when I was debating which car to take one of the dogs to the beach in. The JSW swallows a reasonable size crate (which helps contain fur/salt/sand/wet), and I wasn't quite ready to sully the GTI with dog funk. So, off to the beach for one of its last outings went the JSW. I may have driven through some huge puddles on purpose (eastern MA got pummeled Friday night).
I have owned several VW hatches. It's kind of a given that you will need to drop the seats to move anything sizable. But then again, this is also true for my JSW, just not as true. Helps to have an Odyssey at the ready, just in case. ;)

03fan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I have owned several VW hatches. It's kind of a given that you will need to drop the seats to move anything sizable. But then again, this is also true for my JSW, just not as true. Helps to have an Odyssey at the ready, just in case. ;)
Went with a 16 GTI myself to replace my TDI Passat. Love the car so far, you just have to be realistic about the fuel economy. I drive about 24 miles each way and am averaging about 34-35 miles per gallon so far. I would have gotten a WRX but with a $4,500 discount on the GTI it would cost me an estimated $4-6,000 more plus the fact that I'd get 5-8mpg less and need premium fuel.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
We must either be automative soulmates, or just have the same or similar use cases.

Vehicle 2 in the house is a 2015 Odyssey.

Given you have a JSW, I def would still recommend the GTI. When I go back to driving the JSW, even for a quick beach trip, I am quickly reminded of the better almost everything, apart from trunk space and MPG, that the GTI offers.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
We must either be automative soulmates, or just have the same or similar use cases.
Vehicle 2 in the house is a 2015 Odyssey.
Given you have a JSW, I def would still recommend the GTI. When I go back to driving the JSW, even for a quick beach trip, I am quickly reminded of the better almost everything, apart from trunk space and MPG, that the GTI offers.
And both from MA. ;) (Albeit North and South shores)

Funny thing is, I was thinking of/planning on getting another GTI even before the scandal broke to replace the JSW. I love the great mileage and torque of the TDIs, but the headaches and hassles have closed the gap and the GTI offers way more in many areas, as you stated.

I also don't need as much utility in my daily driver. The JSW was our family car before the Odyssey came along, and I likely would have gotten the Golf TDI instead if the van had been with us. No need for a wagon now, so it's back to having fun in the "hot hatch". :cool:

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Bought my 2016 GTI S manual with Performance Package (LSD, R brakes) and Lighting package (adaptive xenons) three months ago for $22.7k ($6.2k below MSRP). Absolutely in love with the car. I did have an ignition coil go bad, but I fixed it myself for $30 instead of visiting a dealer.
I was coming from a 2014 Focus ST. The GTI is better than the ST in just about every respect. Quieter, more refined, more room, more tasteful styling inside and out, more solid feeling, better technology. The MQB platform is really nice. Another thing is that VW understates the power a bit. People are dynoing stock cars at power higher than advertised, and tune and bolt ons gain far more on the GTI than they do on an ST. I myself put a JB1 piggyback tune on, which is good for an extra ~40-50 hp/lb-ft and doesn't flash the ecu. She's a quick little ride. Fun daily driver.

Last edited:

doodahman

TDI
2009 JSW 6MT
I bought a new '16 GTI S MT ($22,500 including doc fee, before tax and license) back in August to replace my '09 JSW TDI while it awaits buyback. Now have 4k miles and like others here I love the car more everyday. Driven spiritedly I get 30+mpg, driven sanely will yield 37 on the highway. MIB II Infotainment system is sweet with CarPlay. It is a different world from the TDI, it really likes to move and takes corners like it's on rails. Yes, the loss of cargo room is probably the biggest trade off. But I feel like I made a really good decision going with this car.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
I have read on some of the MK7 GTI forums that once the car is flashed with 40+ HP & 60+ Ft/Trq manual clutches seems to be a potential problem.
I drove a 2016 GTI SE PP manual and absolutely loved it. Could use a bit more power which is why I was just considering going for a Golf R.

Bought my 2016 GTI S manual with Performance Package (LSD, R brakes) and Lighting package (adaptive xenons) three months ago for $22.7k ($6.2k below MSRP). Absolutely in love with the car. I did have an ignition coil go bad, but I fixed it myself for $30 instead of visiting a dealer.
I was coming from a 2014 Focus ST. The GTI is better than the ST in just about every respect. Quieter, more refined, more room, more tasteful styling inside and out, more solid feeling, better technology. The MQB platform is really nice. Another thing is that VW understates the power a bit. People are dynoing stock cars at power higher than advertised, and tune and bolt ons gain far more on the GTI than they do on an ST. I myself put a JB1 piggyback tune on, which is good for an extra ~40-50 hp/lb-ft and doesn't flash the ecu. She's a quick little ride. Fun daily driver.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The clutch has been a weak point on some cars. Mine has held fine so far. If I ever go BT or even Stage 2, an uprated clutch might be in order.

I couldn't justify paying double for an R. Price/performance benefit just not there, for me anyway. Dealers won't budge much on price on Rs, because they are such limited production, so you're looking at $40k.

Last edited:

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
Which was why I was thinking of just going DSG. I am definitely starting to see some used 2015 Golf R's closer to $31k-$32k, with low mileage. At that price point they are not that much more than a 2015-2016 GTI. Remember Golf R's are equipped like GTI Autobahns

The clutch has been a weak point on some cars. Mine has held fine so far. If I ever go BT or even Stage 2, an uprated clutch might be in order.

I couldn't justify paying double for an R. Price/performance benefit just not there, for me anyway. Dealers won't budge much on price on Rs, because they are such limited production, so you're looking at $40k.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which was why I was thinking of just going DSG. I am definitely starting to see some used 2015 Golf R's closer to $31k-$32k, with low mileage. At that price point they are not that much more than a 2015-2016 GTI. Remember Golf R's are equipped like GTI Autobahns
Yes, and I believe on 17s they make you pay for DAP as well. I don't need any of that fluff, and I prefer cloth seats to leather as well. The S w/ pp and lp was everything exactly how I wanted. It's such a popular combo, in fact, that VW made it its own trimline in 17 called Sport.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
Audio system is important to me, leather I can take or leave it. My only issue with the Golf R is not having a sunroof. I just figured that If I was going to get a GTI I definitely would want the sunroof and fender audio. Which leaves me at an SE or Autobahn trim level which then leaves me very close to a Golf R in price.
It sort of a strange price point for me.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, and I believe on 17s they make you pay for DAP as well. I don't need any of that fluff, and I prefer cloth seats to leather as well. The S w/ pp and lp was everything exactly how I wanted. It's such a popular combo, in fact, that VW made it its own trimline in 17 called Sport.
Those are the options I covet too. Just wish I could get the cloth seats with a sunroof. That is the only thing that has me leaning toward the SE.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I got a 2016 GTI and it is the same price as my settlement offer.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So the '16 S with PP and LP = '17 Sport?
Yes, plus the Sport gets push button start, piano black side mirrors, and different wheels (still 18"). For some reason though, they deleted the fog lights from the Sport.

Gael

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Yes, plus the Sport gets push button start, piano black side mirrors, and different wheels (still 18"). For some reason though, they deleted the fog lights from the Sport.
Awesome, thanks!

If there's no fix for my TDI, I think the GTI will be my likely route if I can find a good deal.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I would certainly entertain the idea of a GTI replacement for my TDI. But once that check is in my hand, the dealer ought to be prepared to offer one hell of an incentive. All I would ask for is a base 2 door MT6. Straight across. If not, I will continue my search for a solid pre-owned W123 MB diesel. And never grace a VW showroom again in my lifetime.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would certainly entertain the idea of a GTI replacement for my TDI. But once that check is in my hand, the dealer ought to be prepared to offer one hell of an incentive. All I would ask for is a base 2 door MT6. Straight across. If not, I will continue my search for a solid pre-owned W123 MB diesel. And never grace a VW showroom again in my lifetime.
Bear in mind that VW, in another w-t-f moment, phased out the 2-door GTI just a couple of weeks into MY17 production. If you really want a brand new 2-door GTI you'd better scramble to your search asap.

The two door GTI is dead in America:
https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/the-two-door-volkswagen-gti-is-dead-in-america-1786577333/amp

Last edited:

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I did not know that. Thank you for the info.
Okay, make it a 4 door. :)

DRfez

TDI
Golf
Have you been in a dealer showroom lately, here in Canada the sales mangers are telling their people not to waste their time talking to TDI owners. I wanted to test drive a GTI and an R and the sales guy told me to come in on Thursday as it is his managers day off as he is not allowed to let TDI owners test drive any of the new car.

I don't see the GTI as a good replacement for my golf due to the high price, premium gas and lower miles per gallon. If you are doing that you should look at MB or BMW's.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The GTI can run on regular gas. Says 87 octane minimum on the fuel door.

Also, I didn't consider $22,700 overpriced for a car with performance brakes, a limited slip differential, adaptive xenon lamps, and a peppy powerplant that gets 34 mpg highway. It really fits in the middle of the fun/value continuum for me.

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Have you been in a dealer showroom lately, here in Canada the sales mangers are telling their people not to waste their time talking to TDI owners. I wanted to test drive a GTI and an R and the sales guy told me to come in on Thursday as it is his managers day off as he is not allowed to let TDI owners test drive any of the new car.
That is hilarious.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
I drove a 2015 Golf R DSG with DCC and it was AWESOME.

DCC really changed the character of the vehicle, blimp downshifts in race mode where super cool and the DSG shifted super firm and quick, unlike any other DSG equiped VW/Audi I have ever owned.

Does anyone know if DCC makes the DSG in a GTI super aggressive?

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
I drove a 2015 Golf R DSG with DCC and it was AWESOME.

DCC really changed the character of the vehicle, blimp downshifts in race mode where super cool and the DSG shifted super firm and quick, unlike any other DSG equiped VW/Audi I have ever owned.

Does anyone know if DCC makes the DSG in a GTI super aggressive?
DCC allows for a bonus "Comfort" mode I think isn't present on non-DCC GTIs, as well as allow you to customize the ride in "Individual" mode.

Example - say you don't want so much fake engine noise, but want a harder suspension feel, sportier throttle response, but also softer steering. That you can do with DCC.

As for "Comfort" mode - MA in-town roads often just stink. I'm so glad I have it. Comfort mode stays on for the short commute to work, Sport (or Individual) comes on as soon as we approach an on-ramp.

To be honest, I only rarely use "Normal" mode so far (1.5 months of ownership), and even find that if I've forgotten to switch out of Comfort even when I want some with a little more punch, that the car is still going to give it up.

Do note - for MY17, you have to get the Autobahn trim for DCC to be an option.

Also - go review the order guides! Answers so many questions.