Volvo Offer For VW TDI Owners

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
60 forum it is thanks PCF923 !

I am in refugee status, for sure.:)

Have read a lot here. Many zany characters here. I somehow doubt Volvo owners to be the same. Moving to a more "grown up" car.

VW will forever be ingrained in me as they're all I've driven since college early 90s. I have yet to understand my S60 T5 FWD's steering feedback.

Working on it, these VWs are connected from hand to wheel to road like glue...tough to beat that.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Yeah, SwedeSpeed is good. Lots of long time, multiple Volvo-owning enthusiasts there though not as active as here. It's more like a couple of visits a week vs. 2x a day.
The most active forum I have found is in the volvoforums in the U.K., but they get a slightly different mix of vehicles there (including diesel and manual transmissions).

SwedeSpeed is the best I have found in the U.S.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Yikes, I checked Volvo incentives today and they're not offering much. Still have the 5 years maintenance deal, but it's looking pretty bleak otherwise. The extension of the loyalty incentive appears off the table. No promotional financing. Selection of remaining 2016 models is thin.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's January (ok actually February today) and all of the "get the lots cleared" incentives have expired. Wait a few more months and new incentives will start coming out.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
I posted a day too soon. I pulled up the S60 & V60 incentives page.

Through the end of February:

0% / 60 month financing on leftover 2016 models

$4,000 cash back on S60 Polestar
$3,500 back on most V60 wagons
$3,000 beck on V60 Polestar
$3,000 back on S60 Inscription models (3"stretch)
$2,500 back on non-Inspection S60

5 years / 50k miles maintenance & warranty for TDI owners

Unsure if TDI owners still qualify for $1,000 loyalty cash

The 0% is worth about $2,000 on $35k financed vs. a 2.5% loan (that's the current 2017 model promotional rate).

I'd bet a loaded Platinum trim Inscription could be negotiated down to $32-33k territory vs. its $45k sticker.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I posted a day too soon. I pulled up the S60 & V60 incentives page.
Through the end of February:
0% / 60 month financing on leftover 2016 models
$4,000 cash back on S60 Polestar
$3,500 back on most V60 wagons
$3,000 beck on V60 Polestar
$3,000 back on S60 Inscription models (3"stretch)
$2,500 back on non-Inspection S60
5 years / 50k miles maintenance & warranty for TDI owners
Unsure if TDI owners still qualify for $1,000 loyalty cash
The 0% is worth about $2,000 on $35k financed vs. a 2.5% loan (that's the current 2017 model promotional rate).
I'd bet a loaded Platinum trim Inscription could be negotiated down to $32-33k territory vs. its $45k sticker.
That would be a very good deal. We got 18.7% off MSRP on our V60CC and that was praised as being an exceptional deal by the folks over on SwedeSpeed.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
The brand goes low! I managed 20% end of September plus the 0%. Their "we pay the first three payments" is actually a better deal, when it's offered. The caveat here is the 2016 selection is sparse so there may be some compromise in terms of color / interior / options. But for the added savings the wrong color could be overlookable.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
how are those of you who've made the jump liking the driving experience so far? i'm seeing some very low mile '16 T5 platforms for pretty reasonable $... will probably drive a few fairly soon

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife is the primary and 5+ months in to ownership now, she loves the S60 -- though maybe that's not a commentary on the "driving experience." I personally enjoy driving the Passat and my Audi over the Volvo, which checks the boxes and is peppy enough, just feels a little numb in some respects.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
My wife is the primary and 5+ months in to ownership now, she loves the S60 -- though maybe that's not a commentary on the "driving experience." I personally enjoy driving the Passat and my Audi over the Volvo, which checks the boxes and is peppy enough, just feels a little numb in some respects.

I like driving the V60 but the wife is the primary on it and for me it is not the same as the Audi or a VW. It is a refined and "fun" experience. You need to do some good test drives as driving experience is subjective.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
gotcha's, thanks... definitely not wanting to downgrade in driving enjoyment, since going from diesel to gas is already a big concession. maybe we'll just have to spring for the Polestar - kicka** fun, and in that nail-polish blue the wife is in love with!
hopefully our kids will see the cool factor of being the first in the family to go to trade school instead of college (sooo overrated:cool:)

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
how are those of you who've made the jump liking the driving experience so far? i'm seeing some very low mile '16 T5 platforms for pretty reasonable $... will probably drive a few fairly soon
Personally I like it a lot. A couple of things: First off, the Volvo seats to me are far more comfortable than the JSW. Going on a long trip in the JSW usually meant frequent breaks just to stand up and stretch. The ride is quieter, which I appreciate. Far less road noise, far less outside noise of one sort or another. My wife and I both like the dual climate controls. That used to be a huge bone of contention for us in the JSW. I miss not having a manual, but the manual on the JSW really annoyed me at times - it was far too easy to stall the engine, and that damned thing could have gotten me killed at some point. I never had that problem on all of the previous manuals that I have owned.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
gotcha's, thanks... definitely not wanting to downgrade in driving enjoyment, since going from diesel to gas is already a big concession. maybe we'll just have to spring for the Polestar - kicka** fun, and in that nail-polish blue the wife is in love with!
hopefully our kids will see the cool factor of being the first in the family to go to trade school instead of college (sooo overrated:cool:)
It may also be worth testing a model with a 5-cylinder engine, I believe found on the AWD models.

But the "numbness" I believe comes from the disconnected feeling of the steering, which I presume would be common across the series.

And I didn't come away with the same impression when I shopped a 2015.5 V60, about two years ago. So definitely go drive a few.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
It may also be worth testing a model with a 5-cylinder engine, I believe found on the AWD models.
Be careful with some of the older (~2012) 5 cylinder cars. There are oil consumption problems with some of them that involve the piston rings, and if it hits, you basically need a new engine.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Other than a hit in fuel economy, we have no issues with the way our '16 V60 CC drives. It's amazingly nimble for car of it's size, even on narrower 16" winter tires and, as mentioned above, the ride quality and seat comfort are a quantum leap better. As wagons go, the luggage capacity isn't that great but we see it as a very nice improvement over the Golf hatch which has seen yet another shrinkage of the trunk size over the last 3 generations.
As to the steering, once we got used to the feel it was no problem. We've driven a '17 S60 AWD loaner which had adjustable steering feel and found that we preferred the middle setting which most closely matched the feel of our V60.
Were we to do it all over again, we'd probably step up to the '17 V60 CC to get the more fuel efficient 2.0 4-cyl engine and 8-speed AT. If you get a FWD, the 4-cyl / 8-spd is standard from the '15 MY, IIRC.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
Were we to do it all over again, we'd probably step up to the '17 V60 CC to get the more fuel efficient 2.0 4-cyl engine and 8-speed AT. If you get a FWD, the 4-cyl / 8-spd is standard from the '15 MY, IIRC.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. That was the frustrating thing for me was that I had to familiarize myself with numerous brands. With each manufacturer, there are a plethora of options, some only available in some model years. Volvo doesn't help with this. Yes there are a couple of different trim levels (Premier, Platinum), but which options come with which car vary from one model year to the next. On top of that, the options are kind of a-la-carte, so if you were buying new you could spec anything you wanted, I guess. Volvo sometimes makes changes in the half model year - there is a difference in some areas between a 2015.0 and a 2015.5, for example (infotainment is one major one, but which options come with each trim level can change in the half model year as well).