Volvo Offer For VW TDI Owners

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I have been looking at CPO Volvo S60s. I had one for ten years before I got my JSW. Very nice cars and prices are in the 26-29K range with less than 20K miles (some with less than 15K). Once I have my check from VW, I will look at these along with CPO BMW 3 series.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
replacement for my replacement

I have been looking at CPO Volvo S60s. I had one for ten years before I got my JSW. Very nice cars and prices are in the 26-29K range with less than 20K miles (some with less than 15K). Once I have my check from VW, I will look at these along with CPO BMW 3 series.
get the V60 Polestar instead. looks pretty badass
here's what i've settled on to replace both TDi's (someday):
https://www.futureofdriving.com/concept26.html

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Is this a trade in or just hey VW ripped me and 11,000,000 others off give me a great deal Volvo?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Does it matter? iPhone is made("assembled")in China and Volvo is still made in Sweden last I heard.
My first car was a turbo Volvo made in Germany. My uncle has a Porsche made in Finland. Go figure.

Birdsg

TDI
Jetta
Got our s60 the end of August and really enjoying it. Jetta has been sitting since

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
My V60 was made in Sweden. The long wheelbase S60s are made in China, and some other models in Germany.

I would adventure to say that if using similiar materials, cars assembled in China are better than those assembled in the USA, in general. Buick has very nice cars coming down from their Chinese production lines.

Lots of American auto workers are entitled, lazy and lack of discipline, from what I read. And the designs are beyond ugly, needless to say. Not trying to be offensive if you belong to the cohort;)

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Keep in mind that Volvo is owned by a Chinese company.
Yes, but run and managed by Swedes in Sweden. The Chinese company is a smaller private, non government affiliated car company, not one of the large, government owned/backed companies.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Is this a trade in or just hey VW ripped me and 11,000,000 others off give me a great deal Volvo?
It is a "VW ripped you off -- buy a Volvo". No trade in required. Just proof of ownership of a TDI in the emissions scandal list (not older non CR TDIs)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would adventure to say that if using similiar materials, cars assembled in China are better than those assembled in the USA, in general. Buick has very nice cars coming down from their Chinese production lines.
Lots of American auto workers are entitled, lazy and lack of discipline, from what I read. And the designs are beyond ugly, needless to say. Not trying to be offensive if you belong to the cohort;)
I would venture to say you are wrong. American industry has already saved the world from fascism once.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are we on the same page? You're talking "industry", I am talking "auto industry"; You're talking "then", I am "now".
I don't think we are on the same page. The American auto industry was instrumental in defeating the axis powers. If needed I have faith those lazy american workers could save the world again.

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I don't think we are on the same page. The American auto industry was instrumental in defeating the axis powers. If needed I have fairh those lazy american workers could save the world again.
LOL, might be nuclear weapon workers, IT workers who'll "save the world", but certainly not those lazy auto workers, in their current mental status and working ethics.

Is anybody even attempting to challenge anything, senior?

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
May I present into evidence Honda's Marywood, Ohio plant? Give US workers competent management, they will do a good job. Loved my two Acuras.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Right on. Not all American auto workers are lazy, worthless slobs. And not all American made autos are crap. That's all I'm saying.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Right on. Not all American auto workers are lazy, worthless slobs. And not
all American made autos are crap. That's all I'm saying.
Right On Turbobrick.... +1+1... people forget how great America was and
still is. The metrics of American workers in recent reports compared to
Europe is something to be very proud of. Forget about the rest of the
world. When it comes to contributing to the body of knowledge, science,
medicine, exploration, technology, humanitarianism America is 2nd to none.
In my professional careers, I have worked with Japanese and Europeans.
I was not impressed. It was a lot of show, little go. Dealing with Europeans,
specifically Airbus, let me just say I am glad to deal with Boeing any day,
all day, every day by a long shot. Perfect? No... To be selfish I wont care
in about 30-40 years I am guessing, I will be gone. For the time being,
I have my priorities, God, Family and Work in that order. Part of the
work is defending my Nation where my Family and freedom lives, to live
my life as I choose, aka live free or die. I don't see that in most of the world.

Last edited:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
The new 90 had utility reminding me most of the VW. Sales person talked down the hybrid ("never get your money back", etc). All of them are 2.6ltr 4's, I believe. The ~10kwh plug-in gets a serious electric boost, shown by the specs. It's pricey, but only posting to suggest that if you were thinking of shooting for the PHEV, you may have to push to get them to offer it.

emersonbiggins

TDI
09 JSW TDI
So... the company that marketed their product for DECADES to yuppies and old rich people based almost solely on safety is also kicking butt on performance and efficiency?

Who knew?

I guess I always associate them with one word "overpriced", like Audi.

That said, my bro-in-law has a little hatch he likes a lot. But why not go to Subaru or Mazda if you want comparable performance and/or allroad capability? Or even the Alltrack now?
Funny you should mention Subaru. I was dead set on getting an Outback to replace our '09 JSW after the buyback (thus continuing to have two wagons in the family, an Outback and a V60), but after test driving a 2.5i Limited, I came away extremely underwhelmed. It handled fine, but the 2.5 engine is a dog, and compounded with the CVT, wasn't worth dealing with. Also, there were no rear air vents...apparently you have to jump to the 3.6 Limited to get those. So, no Subaru for me. Seriously looking at getting a second Volvo, probably the XC60, if we don't end up in a Highlander. Also, we really like the Infiniti QX60, but they're a little out of our price range at the mid-40's.

emersonbiggins

TDI
09 JSW TDI
Update - bought a 'new' 2016 XC60 from a local Volvo dealer....a loaner with 6k on the odometer... came out with about $8,200 off sticker and Volvo is making the first three payments on a 60-month 0% loan with the Safe & Secure package thrown in for former TDI owners. All told with the three payments thrown in, got a $45k car for $35k + TT&L. Sucks about not being able to trade in on the difference in to get the taxes down, but everyone's in the same boat on that.

Nice looking SUV; have a bit of a brake vibration issue, so we'll need the dealer to take care of that, but otherwise, we're waiting to turn in the JSW. Putting the $14,000 in savings + probably some IRA, since the loan is at 0%. ;) Anyone else considering this approach with their buyback cash?

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Update - bought a 'new' 2016 XC60 from a local Volvo dealer....a loaner with 6k on the odometer... came out with about $8,200 off sticker and Volvo is making the first three payments on a 60-month 0% loan with the Safe & Secure package thrown in for former TDI owners. All told with the three payments thrown in, got a $45k car for $35k + TT&L. Sucks about not being able to trade in on the difference in to get the taxes down, but everyone's in the same boat on that.
Nice looking SUV; have a bit of a brake vibration issue, so we'll need the dealer to take care of that, but otherwise, we're waiting to turn in the JSW. Putting the $14,000 in savings + probably some IRA, since the loan is at 0%. ;) Anyone else considering this approach with their buyback cash?
No decision yet but we've been looking at the V60, most likely the CC though we have yet to drive the FWD or standard height AWD. We're willing to give up a little corner carving ability for the extra ride height & suspension travel.
Questions:
Which configuration did you get? T5, T6...etc?
Were you able to choose a shorter term for the 0% financing or is it fixed at 60 months?