bad body roll

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
Hey guys, my '12 had developed bad body roll, especially when there are passengers.
I always felt the car was very soft.
What should I replace, shocks or springs?

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
well, if your car porpoises over bumps, ie makes over 3 bounces when you push down on a corner instead of returning to rest in one maybe 2 oscillations then shocks, new springs will help too, yours even may be broken, inspect closely to see if you have a coil or two snapped off.

third possibility is a broken sway bar end link, and fourth potential culprit is low tire pressure.

I would:
Check tire pressure
Inspect springs and sway bar end links front and rear
Bounce all four corners of the car to see how may oscillations you get, then go from there.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hey guys, my '12 had developed bad body roll, especially when there are passengers.
I always felt the car was very soft.
What should I replace, shocks or springs?
I have had my JSW full with seats down and every inch full.... it drives like a wale. Solo it drives like a dream.

It is pretty firm and yes under hard coming there is some body roll.

The solution is stiffer springs, aftermarket struts/shocks, and I think you can go to an aftermarket sway bar....

However I would advise not spending money on your car. If you want a sports car buy one.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I recently installed a Golf R suspension on my JSW and it was a night and day difference. I also just order a pair of "air springs" to help offer some more support when carrying a load.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I recently installed a Golf R suspension on my JSW and it was a night and day difference. I also just order a pair of "air springs" to help offer some more support when carrying a load.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Did you get it from a VW dealer?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd suggest starting with rear sway bar, they can be had cheap from GTI folks on vortex, prob even cheaper once buy backs start happening. If you're not happy with that, then dive into struts/springs.

I picked up a 24mm H&R bar for the jetta in '10 and was the best purchase i made for the car. Easy installation too.

If you had bad endlinks either you'd head a clunk, or it would be a clean break which would be easily visible.