What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (if you had the choice)?

• Let VW buy it back (pre-scandal value) + some compensation money.

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • Let VW fix it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Just keep driving it as is until it falls apart.

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Legal? Uh no way, no how . . . . the laws are *Federal*, so the fact that your state does not test means exactly nothing to legality (although it does make it harder to get caught).
It's just like marijuana being legal in CO and WA - it's illegal federally, but legal within the states. As for diesels, a lot of states don't regulate diesel emissions, other than the official guidelines of "not tampering with emissions equipment." Personally, I think it's a waste of time for law enforcement to even bother, when there's more important crime issues to be controlled.

chilehead19

Veteran Member
TDI
. 2014 Sportwagen TDi for me 2011 2dr golf for my wife
I think VW will only give you money if ether, 1 they buyback the car completely , or they fix it and you keep it. It solves nothing for them to pay you to continue to drive your "problem" vehicle. They want them off the road or fixed. I am waiting to see what deal is offered, but leaning towards buyback. Or a trade to a '17 GSW TDI if such a thing ever exists here.

nozel

TDI
2006 Jetta Gas, replaced by 2009 Sportwagen, replaced by 2013 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Fix my car

I would take a fresh EA 288 package in my existing 2013 'Wagen. It's only at 51000 Km.
There is room to add the required DEF tank beside the spare tire well, underneath the splash shield.
I have 1.5 years to pay down the VW financed package.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I don't know what I am going to do. It really depends on what the offers are, to fix or buy back. If the fix reduces the gas mileage by 10 MPGs or more, then I will sell it back if the deal is good. The challenge with keeping the car and 10+ MPG reduction is the cost of maintenance plus cost of fuel. Really there isn't enough information to make an educated guess.

Honestly, I'd love to get the pre-scandal price on a buy back then go buy a JSW.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
We've had a ton of rain in the Houston area this week and my car sat for a few days because I worked from home. Was going to the store yesterday, started the car and it died 5 seconds later and wouldn't restart.

After we got back from the store, it started normally and kept running.

This was my first experience with intercooler condensation and it's pushing me more so into the buyback camp.

At least it wasn't the dreaded fuel pump implosion.

rac

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Going with option 1. Assuming the 2009 can't be fixed, and assuming that my emissions testing state won't allow the car to be registered otherwise, I've got no choice.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I am leaning option 1 and voted that way. However, I am really undecided for many of the reasons already stated here (what the options really will be, performance hits, long term maintenance viability, etc).

I am so addicted to this car and the way it drives. Every time I get behind the wheel of another car (rental or whatever) I get so disappointed and can't wait to get back to my TDI. I don't know what i would replace it with that would not make me unhappy.

I could stomp VW into the ground for doing this to us. :mad:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
None of the three.
Give me a Brand New VW in place of it with extended warranty.
If not I hope they go belly up for what they have done to us all, ripped us off.
Rip us off which is what they are going to do, given the chance.
If the Government's south and north of the borders have any balls and are going to protect us the buyers, then maybe we will come out happy and not ripped off.

Last edited:

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Can't answer until I see the REAL options.... will be back after the 21st or 26th - whenever it is.

Chet57

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI and 2013 Jetta TDI
Let VW buy it back. Any fix that VW comes up with would have been engineered on the fly and without adequate testing. The new components required will be made by the cheapest vendor who will be under tremendous pressure to get the parts out as quickly as possible. This to me sounds like trouble in terms of reliability and longevity. Get out while you can!!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree with ATR:

I chose #3. But I'm on the fence waiting to hear how VW will fix, buyback, compensate or whatever else the plan is.
Add me to that same camp. I always figured on ten years of ownership and I've just passed six on the JSW. Should put me somewhere around 150k miles. However, if VW comes back with an offer I can't refuse, I may be driving the GMC canyon diesel sooner that I thought.

Last edited:

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I think VW will only give you money if ether, 1 they buyback the car completely , or they fix it and you keep it. It solves nothing for them to pay you to continue to drive your "problem" vehicle. They want them off the road or fixed. I am waiting to see what deal is offered, but leaning towards buyback. Or a trade to a '17 GSW TDI if such a thing ever exists here.
My thoughts too. I don't think "Just drive it" is going to be an option. We will all have to either get them fixed or turn them in. Even in states like MI with no emissions testing, the gov't will convince our states to not allow unfixed TDIs to get re-registered.

If just keeping it as is isn't an option, I'd lean toward the buyback. I'm pretty sure any fix would involve losing MPG, performance, and/or reliability.

vestal

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Forum reader for years but I am one of the jerks who signed up post-scandal, obviously, this poll was too tempting. I will take the buyback and for now, not purchase another car. I have a motorcycle that I will use as my main vehicle, I also live one block from a metro so I can take that to work if it snows. I have wanted to do the motorcycle-only thing for a while, and not having this car will save me about $400 a month.

I am sad, I love my Jetta TDi. Every time I drive it now I'm like damn, gonna miss this thing. I can't think of any other vehicle at specs and price that interests me. When I'm ready for another vehicle I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW diesel, the wagon would be high on my list.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Let VW buy it back. Any fix that VW comes up with would have been engineered on the fly and without adequate testing. The new components required will be made by the cheapest vendor who will be under tremendous pressure to get the parts out as quickly as possible. This to me sounds like trouble in terms of reliability and longevity. Get out while you can!!!
Actually, from what I've read about the initial engineering on the mk6 golf and other related cars... Volkswagen originally was to use scr but they scrapped the idea in favor of a passive system.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
They can buy mine back. My '03 was way more fun than the 2010. I love VW but I'll be looking into BMW diesels after the buy-back.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Love the Jetta... fun to drive, but is a money pit. In addition, whatever 'fix' they do will not only drop fuel mileage, but will have unknown long term affects on the DPF and who knows what else.

They can buy mine back. The only way I'd keep it is if I would take such a hit to sell it, I have no choice.

Now maybe a new TDI might be a possible choice with a long warranty and a great discount

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
It is frustrating. What other car can you buy that has it all? The kind of everyday usable torque, Germanic handling and fit and finish with 43 MPG?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It is frustrating. What other car can you buy that has it all? The kind of everyday usable torque, Germanic handling and fit and finish with 43 MPG?
BMW 328d wagon is the only thing I can think of. Though it'd have to be a CPO car to be affordable.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had a brand new GTI for a rental yesterday. Yes, I like that it handles and feels like the wife's Golf, but if it isn't diesel, I'm not sure that I want another VW. I'm past the age where the "hot pocket" racer design of the GTI is going to sway me.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Forum reader for years but I am one of the jerks who signed up post-scandal, obviously, this poll was too tempting. I will take the buyback and for now, not purchase another car. I have a motorcycle that I will use as my main vehicle, I also live one block from a metro so I can take that to work if it snows. I have wanted to do the motorcycle-only thing for a while, and not having this car will save me about $400 a month.

I am sad, I love my Jetta TDi. Every time I drive it now I'm like damn, gonna miss this thing. I can't think of any other vehicle at specs and price that interests me. When I'm ready for another vehicle I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW diesel, the wagon would be high on my list.
With the state of DC Metro, good luck with THAT!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I had a brand new GTI for a rental yesterday. Yes, I like that it handles and feels like the wife's Golf, but if it isn't diesel, I'm not sure that I want another VW. I'm past the age where the "hot pocket" racer design of the GTI is going to sway me.
Good thing they also get decent highway mileage. I've heard reports of 6 speed manual owners getting mid 30's. That ain't bad at all for what the car is :cool:

Okay so it doesn't quite have the mileage of a diesel or the low end grunt. But it makes up for it with the horsepower :D

With the state of DC Metro, good luck with THAT!
No doubt! The DC metro used to be considered the safest in the country. Seems like that's not the case any longer :(

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Yup......,
Already bought the 328D xdrive wagon, m sport package, 8 speed, dual pano roofs, Harmon Kardon 16 speaker (don't know where they are at), 19" factory wheels, dual turbo's, xeon lights, backup up sonar/ cam package, Seal metallic Grey/Dakota red leather interior, gorgeous dark grey/black wood package, 50k mile warranty and free oil changes......
New almost $60k, return lease with 15k thus listed for $48k, waited a month and reduced to $38k, when I get $5k for my JSW and another $5k for my troubles =$28k final price!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yup......,
Already bought the 328D xdrive wagon, m sport package, 8 speed, dual pano roofs, Harmon Kardon 16 speaker (don't know where they are at), 19" factory wheels, dual turbo's, xeon lights, backup up sonar/ cam package, Seal metallic Grey/Dakota red leather interior, gorgeous dark grey/black wood package, 50k mile warranty and free oil changes......
New almost $60k, return lease with 15k thus listed for $48k, waited a month and reduced to $38k, when I get $5k for my JSW and another $5k for my troubles =$28k final price!
Now that's a deal! Literally half off :D :cool:

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Depending on the fix, and depending on the amount that VW offers to buy it back, at the moment I'm leaning towards letting VW buy it back.

I always said I would never buy a new car, but the Sportwagen was good enough to me that I ordered it from the factory and waited 5 months to get it. I thought I had bought a car that I would be able to keep for 15 years. I knew of the HPFP problems and was willing to accept some risk there. I added (and did almost all of the work myself) a towing package and necessary wiring, tinted windows, the expensive floor mats, bumper cover on the top of the rear bumper, mud flaps, I had just upgraded to very good Michelin tires, I just upgraded the braking system, I bought the VagCom system, I bought specialty tools and sockets for the car, I bought 10 years worth of oil filters, I made interior hauling accessories, I bought exterior towing accessories specific to the car... I had every intention of keeping this car for a long time and you could say I'm heavily invested in it. But now I'm to the point where a major service is coming up and I'm not sure if I should perform it or wait to see what VW's answer will be. And I've been in this limbo for almost a year now.

If they offer $5k with no fix... that's tempting because it's still the car that I bought. But I need to know what the fix is. If the fix is made mandatory, I'm selling the car back. If the fix is something that will likely result in no spare parts being available of the original design, I'd probably sell the car back. If the buy back price is the $21,000 I estimated according to KBB + $5k... I think I'll sell the car back and go back to riding my motorcycle, driving my old 4Runner, fixing my '82 Suburban up a little more, and paying off my backhoe.

I still get a little irked every time I get an e-mail from VWCredit asking me to make another payment on the car. I only have payments until November, but it makes me a little annoyed that I have to live up to my end of the contract when I feel like they didn't live up to theirs.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the $500 goodwill dealership card too.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
How can anyone consider the buyback without knowing the basis upon which the buyback price will be calculated? Every time I see a report (even though I know it's speculation) that the price will be calculated on KBB trade-in, my blood boils. Trade-in is NOT the value of a vehicle. I almost never trade in my vehicles, because by definition, trade-in is below market value in order to leave room for the dealer to make money on the flip to retail. Retail price on a dealer lot is the value of a vehicle, and that must be the basis for any buy-back calculation that would entice me.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
I think my name says my feelings. However a fix, cash and warranty might sway me to keep it as I'm a low miles driver and the Golf could last me a long time.

My prediction is that many of the cars stay on the road with a software fix, a grandfather clause allowing the higher emissions and some form of environmental payback. And a whole lotta political pocket payoffs. Call me a jaded realist.:eek:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
good Judge will make sure we're made whole and got some $$$ on top of that for the pain & suffering :)

So the poll is more about how many of us are ready to leave VW as a brand. Some of us here feel they've had enough and/or feel betrayed etc. Some might use this as a welcome chance to get a different vehicle due to changed circumstances.

Others want to stay w/ VW, but not sure about effects of possible fixes on longevity and drive-ability.

Quite a few simply have to stay VW due to commute, as there's no other vehicles out there, in this price range, with these MPGs. Oil could easily get back to $100/barrel, translating to $4 gas.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Giving serious consideration to applying buyback cheddar toward a shiny new 328D X-Drive Sports Wagon. Only wish they offered one with a manual trans but the wife will be happy.

Thumbs down on closing the poll.

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
Buying this early 14 Jetta TDI was a huge leap of faith after having a 96 Passat TDI car from hell that we lost our shirt on getting rid of. (Left us walking 3 times and that was the end of it, as a two year old car). I have since put hundreds of thousands on Toyota(Corollla's) and Mazda (3's)with not even ONE trip back to dealer for a warranty related item. We usually run out of warranty in 2yrs due to mileage.

This 14 Jetta has been towed in once and back 3 times for warranty issues all resolved with no complaint... but still not confidence building by comparison.

I would take buy back and purchase a 2017 Jetta TDI if that is an option. If no TDI is available, I will say goodbye to VW forever.YMMV