Installed 3.0 TDI Turbo in 2.7 TDI

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Just completed the upgrade. Finally put in the GTB2260VK Turbo from the 3.0 TDI 059145722R in my 2,7 TDI which has the GTB1756VK 059145721F. From the VAG EKTA data it looked like everything would fit if the Y exhaust collector 059131799L was also replaced with the 3.0 Y collector 059131799R. This Garrett 059131799R Turbo the has the matching DP flange. However the EGR flange turned out to be a bit bigger on the Y collector which meant I ended up doing a 5mm thick block off plate. Also did a small flux wire weld to add a small holder for the turbo oil return line, which was avail. on the old collector.
Overall not a bad job to do, except access to the collector is a bit tight. Removal of just the turbo itself only takes minutes. Once I removed the fresh air intake piping/air filter and the charge air outlet piping on the pass side and the coolant reservoir on the driver side access was much better. The lower driver side bolt on the collector had to be accessed from below. The M10 bit is your friend. Had 3 different versions of M10 in play 1/4 drive 3/8 drive and single bit. managed to lose the single bit on the driver side.
Did a log with the same old tune and despite it being a bigger wheel the lag is less (see chart)! The EGR block off at the collector must have helped I take it.
The 2260 feels solid. Just need a tune now. :)

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually it turned out the youtube video tune was no where near 75mg. :D But I got my tune sorted out now including the accurate logging above 70mg. A bit tricky tuning this BPP. The chart shows 3rd gear acceleration time now with 73,7mg compared to youtube video tune. From 2000-4250rpm almost a whole second quicker! Have to do something about EGTs and then hopefully get it on rollers.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the downpipe in. The main challenge was to get off the axle heatshield. There is a top heat shield bolt which is tricky to access and needs a really long hex bit to go from the front driver wheel side to the top bolt. Of course I left that one out when putting back together. Once the middle hanger, the end of the dpf and downpipe/precat is released at the turbo (and all sensors detached: lambda, egt, dpf) the whole front exahaust system moves down several few inches down allowing unbolting of the precat from the rest (unbolting due to rust difficult otherwise). One precat nut was frozen and the bolt broke off. But no biggie. Normal for this area with exposure to the elements. The exahaust system bolts are actually pressed into the flanges. The precat downpipe can then be rotated so the top flange faces the opposite direction and lowered out. (This point is harder on some of the earlier 3.0 TDIs where there is a holder on the precat preventing this rotation and there the transmission was needed to be lowered. The Elsawin indicated the need for lowering the transmission but it was not necessary with this 2008 BPP). Originally I thought the procedure would need to be done on a lift but it wasn't needed either. On the rebuild attached the downpipe to the turbo first and then brought the rest of the hardware together from below. The German downpipe in itself was a work of art and a perfect fitment. Replaced all the nuts with copper nuts....feels like 30HP more from the downpipe. The dpf is freed up but an actual pipe in it would be better for flow. :)

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a picture of the holder circled in red right after the downpipe. On some cars this holder is on the downpipe/precat itself making removal difficult. As I said I went to someone with a lift but for mine ended up doing it on the floor anyway.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Started to get the software sorted out. Here is a 0 to 266 km/h pull - Fairly quick all the way up. Not bad for over 1900Kg and FWD? :) No smoke, clutch is holding fine. Summary: GTB2260VK working on 2,7 litre not 3,0 (10% less work), EGR blocked, catless downpipe, knocked out dpf, 3bar map, 73,7mg@2.65bar. Will get on rollers as final step, although looks like alot of people are doing Insoric type measurements these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JVWM0Ba-Sg

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Very cool eddie!

I'd love to head out to germany sometime in the mid future myself.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
I miss the good old days down the A7, don't miss the Friday traffic on the A2 though. They still put up that speed camera off the 352?

Awesome project by the way , you still have tuv?
Yeah, If you go at the right time A7 is still good for a full trottle run. I did this one heading south on the A7, south of the A2. No chance on the A2, it is always jammed with Eastern European traffic. My earlier video in this thread I did on the A352 which is also fairly quiet but is only 2 lane. I prefer 3 lanes. As far as I know there is no camera on the A352. I have TÜV but will need to undo exhaust mods before going back. It's a bit complicated with TÜV but usually if there are no 'visible' mods you are ok.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
I went for an Insoric Measurement today. Unfortunately there was some rain during the measurement but did get an ok result. The car reached 283BHP and 531NM (3rd gear measurement). Torque comes in a bit late but it was setup to save the clutch a bit. Might still try to crack the 300BHP threshold. Either way about 100BHP gain over stock for about €500. :) Turbo and downpipe.

Last edited:

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
I am just curious what values for fuel temp did you have now ?

At 32 degrees outside i saw 90 degrees fuel temp...on my BMK

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
I am just curious what values for fuel temp did you have now ?

At 32 degrees outside i saw 90 degrees fuel temp...on my BMK
Actually I don't know. I am monitoring only pressure and EGT. I don't have additional cooler for fuel, stock one is quite good I think. I am not pushing the car hard for a long time, only occasional bursts so no issue here i think. Did you upgrade BV50?

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
No ,i haven't upgrade anything .
Actually,engine is a swap onto a b6 audi a4 ,with stock for now BKN ECU .
Values seems high to me ,for fuel temp. Fuel cooler is the stock one from ex engine 1.9 AVF.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Increased the IQ over wider range a bit after the Insoric power measurement. From 73.7mg/str to 75.7mg/str. Still hardly any smoke with same boost and clutch holding fine. Great having the IQ diagnosis in VCDS working. Might go for IC upgrade as last step.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems to smooth out the rail pressure a bit doesn't it? Project is looking good although you must be getting close to the limit of the clutch ?
Hi, i think that might be a logging inaccuracy. I was logging 3 parameters. Sometimes better to log 1 to get more points. Rail Pressure is adjusted just above 3500rpm to reduce duration.

Clutch seems to be holding up fine. I think they improved the clutches on these around 2007. There was a guy on here who had a 2006 A4 2,7 TDI BPP and his clutch slipped around 260HP. I looked into it earlier and found there might be different clutches being used. See post #6 from me in this Thread. Mine is 2008 vs his was 2006. I suspect I got a different part. I am pretty sure the newer ones are good to at least 600NM.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Added Boost and Exhaust Temperature Gauges. Picked up the EGT kit from Auber while State Side this summer. The boost gauge is Raid HP sport. Bought an extra piece of A Pillar trim to make holes.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
did some WOT runs on the Autobahn to monitor IATs from VCDS log and EGTs and Boost from gauges.

IATs show peaking about 65C during high speed acceleration bursts on the Autobahn. See chart. Outside temp was 15C.

The GTB2260VK was boosting real nice. Here is a clip where I accelerated from stop through the gears. There is an occasional spike to 1.8bar but it settles quite well to around 1.7 bar WOT. Sorry the boost gauge numerals are not quite clear, but you can compare to earlier pics of it to know where the needle is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC9aiyDoqy0

The EGTs are definitely climbing. lol. I took it up to about 257kmh and it maxed out at 1733F 945C. Decided not to push it any more. Car seems to have a bit more push to it after the last fuel up tick and the temps cooled to 15C. See clip. I read different opinions on what EGTs this Turbo can handle, sounds like it can handle 1900F or 1040C after some improvements. Probably true because I pushed it several times to over 260kmh before and it likely hit >1800F and it always runs effortless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzG8iQhLgPI

In any case I got this double SMIC from KWE some East German guys, so I can log again after. Will put it in soon and report back.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
:) yay.

I think one large front mount would have been a better choice than 2 smaller ones.
You are right. They have one for the A5 which could be made to work but the TÜV (MOT) guys will ask me to remove it. i.e. it is a bit too obvious in the front.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed the upgraded dual intercooler. When in pretty good. Couple of bolts holding the interconnecting pipe were rusted needed to be drilled out. Also the bumper needed some holes slits/holes cut out. The new cores were about 90mm fat compared to 60mm.

Well I got a bit of a Turbo lag with 85% more volume but when it comes on you can feel it is stronger. Will have to get the tune adjusted to fire up lambda down low and fine tune to remove spiking.

Will report back with IC related data.

Before:

After:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
Can any of you guys from Europe comment on were the turbo drain port is on the older bkn asb bmk 3.0 tdi im bought oil pans from a bkn and im stumped my newer cata engine has the port on the passenger side of the pan .