6 speed conversion kit

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You would get a more accurate indication of endplay with a dial indicator on the end of the shaft.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Mike, "axial float" or "end float," is this also the same as "end play"; i.e the amount of movement between the gear's when pulled or pushed down the center shaft.
Yes, I think so.

... How is this properly measured according to Radim? Feeler gauge stuck between 4th, 5th and 6th gear while gently pully outwards?
This video shows how it looks like when there is insufficient end-float (note that there is no back-and-forth at all):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38kCHVhtXIM

And this video shows how it looks when it is OK (the gears can move very slightly back&forth along the shaft, and also they spin more freely than in the other example):
http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/media/axial_test.avi

It should be OK, but if it is not, then talk to Radim.

And finally ... all looking good after solving the end-float issue:
[FONT=Calibri,Arial Rounded MT Bold][FONT=Calibri,Arial Rounded MT Bold]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1mf7s5dTo[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Mike,

Did you get the car back on shape?

I only have about 400 miles on the Passage since the conversion.
Now I am done with the work in Texas and go to San Diego tomorrow.
Will be good to sleep at home.

Jcboulware,

Do you have an installation date?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Euro Tuning, what can this handle for power? i plan on having an ALH 1.9 with at least 300 wheel TQ and recently blew 4th gear out completely.

is this kit only as strong as a stock O2J since that is what all the gears are out of to start with?

i'm in the air and not sure weather i should use your kit or the other one that just came out.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Euro Tuning, what can this handle for power? i plan on having an ALH 1.9 with at least 300 wheel TQ and recently blew 4th gear out completely.

is this kit only as strong as a stock O2J since that is what all the gears are out of to start with?

i'm in the air and not sure weather i should use your kit or the other one that just came out.

Both kits use stock gears 1 to 4, so no change in strength. But, looks like you had a problem with a bad used 4th gear.
I. Went with Eurotune because they had done 350+ kits over 10 years and availability at the.time ordered.

If you are worried about strength, get the O2M. Did Alex ever put his jeep stroker together?

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
sardo_67 said:
Euro Tuning, what can this handle for power? ...
EuroTuning also does a sport version (closer ratios, the 6th is not long) which replaces all the gears.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike,
I only have about 400 miles on the Passat since the conversion.
Now I am done with the work in Texas and go to San Diego tomorrow.
Will be good to sleep at home.
Hi, I'm picking it up today :)

--- Edit:

And I have it back now :) YAY.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Both kits use stock gears 1 to 4, so no change in strength. But, looks like you had a problem with a bad used 4th gear.
I. Went with Eurotune because they had done 350+ kits over 10 years and availability at the.time ordered.

If you are worried about strength, get the O2M. Did Alex ever put his jeep stroker together?
hahah nah alex hasn't made any progress on any of his projects, although he has a fully loaded 01 now he's rebuilding the motor on. good body too, no rot

seeing as i now have $2,400 in my pay pal account i am thinking about the RyanP 6 speed kit so i don't have to worry about the trans ever again buuuuut........ then i'll need to buy a new LSD and do they make taller 6th gear for those? i want to cruse at 80mph in 6th at 2,150 RPMs

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
hahah nah alex hasn't made any progress on any of his projects, although he has a fully loaded 01 now he's rebuilding the motor on. good body too, no rot

seeing as i now have $2,400 in my pay pal account i am thinking about the RyanP 6 speed kit so i don't have to worry about the trans ever again buuuuut........ then i'll need to buy a new LSD and do they make taller 6th gear for those? i want to cruse at 80mph in 6th at 2,150 RPMs
With Ryan's 6-speed, you'll be at 2000rpm@80mph with the "DRW" code... 6th is REALLY tall.. 5th is also taller than the stock 02J 5th

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

Well, I am at 2000 @75 mph. So 80 mph.should be 2135 in 6th gear. Think it is tal
Why not email them the question?
Also check the 2010+ ratios. Think it is taller than DKW.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
I started mine today. Trans is out, sixth conversion is done. Clutch and left axle cv boots tomorrow. I should be driving home for supper.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
All done: Clutch, rear main seal, left axle cv boots, and 6th gear upgrade. Drove it home for dinner.

70 mph = 1950 RPM
80 mph = 2160 RPM

Two complaints that I will have to live with.

1. Clutch pedal is softer than I like. Everything works normally, it's just not as stiff as the old clutch.

2. Cruise Control DOES NOT WORK in sixth gear. Works normally in all other gears.

All in all, not a bad DIY job. I have 8 hours of labor in the whole thing. The new sixth gear is great on the highway!

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Congratulations :)

Surprised about the cruise since it worked for me & John, but guess there are probably differences in the versions of the ECU.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to email Mark at Malone Tuning and see if there is anything he may be able to do for the cruise control.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Good news that everything else works, bummer about the cruise though. That would be the main reason why I would want a taller gear is to cruise on the highway, and not having CC would be a killer.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I suspect that Mark Malone could tune the ECU so CC works in 6th.

Radim, you have a PM

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
Spoke to Marc at Malone Tuning and he thinks he can do it. He said he has tuned some cruise control issues in Euro 6 speeds but never done a 6th add-on on an 02J gearbox. Best news is that he's willing to try. It will be an email tune uploaded with Flashzilla. I'll let everyone know how it goes over the next few weeks.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Spoke to Marc at Malone Tuning and he thinks he can do it. He said he has tuned some cruise control issues in Euro 6 speeds but never done a 6th add-on on an 02J gearbox. Best news is that he's willing to try. It will be an email tune uploaded with Flashzilla. I'll let everyone know how it goes over the next few weeks.
Glad to see Mark looking at it. Did you send a message to Radim? They may also have seen this issue.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike,

Amazing service from EuroTuning - they fully covered Vince's labour to rectify the axial float issue! WOW I'm impressed. I was hoping for a share, but the full thing is great :)

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Fantastic - a vendor doing the right thing!

Looking forward to seeing your mpg numbers. How often do you go thru a tank of fuel?
Usually once every 10 days... First tank was 86 imperial (9 mpg better than normal), and the second was 80 (i.e. 3 mpg better than normal). But that second tank included 2.5 hours of nearly stationary traffic jams, and also about 20 miles of road testing by another driver. So even the lower figure was very good in context.

Wait about ten tanks and I should have some reliable numbers :)

Last edited:

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not heard back from Radim about the no cruise in 6th issue yet. Leaving for the Bahamas tomorrow, so I won't have any solution for at least a few weeks.