PD TDI Vibration @2000 rpm and 3500 rpm+

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
I have a 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon with 140k miles. A mechanic swapped out the driver's side CV at 132000 miles. Ever since then there has been excessive vibration around 2000 rpm and 3500 rpm and up. The vibration is felt in the go pedal, steering wheel and shifter (manual 5 speed tranny). I had the engine oil and gear box oil changed at 138000 but had no affect on the vibration. There is no affect on mpgs. Car pulls slightly to the right but probably just an alignment issue.

Do you think the new, prolly chinese cheapo, CV is the issue? Or something else?

Mechanic checked motor mounts and said they seemed fine.

Thanks for the help!

mwgasman

TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp, pkg 2, nav
Is it vehicle speed related or engine rpm related? If the vibration is the same at 2000 and 3500+ rpm no matter what gear you are in, I would look somewhere other than the axles.

Any idea how the cam looks?

When my cam was bad, it felt like the engine was going to shake itself out of te car at 2200 rpm.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
the vibration seems to be rpm related. At around 2000 rpm there is some vibration in the wheel, pedal, and shifter and it gets worse with more throttle. Then it quickly settles down around 2200 rpm, but after 3500 rpm and up it is just unbearable, again getting worse with throttle.

No idea how the cam looks. I know there were similar issues with the PD passat after CVs were swapped out, so that is why i was looking there. It could be a resonance frequency at those rpms that causes a rattle through the cheaper CV, but it could also be so many other issues. Hopefully as long as performance and mpgs arent affected it wont cause any long term issues.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
balanced wheels just to rule that out? axle shaft may be out of whack from rebuilder? does/did shaft have rubber dampener ? Are you rims clean against the hub had to scrape a lot of mine last changover. How bad at low speed v.s. 5th gear. Changed my clutch before fail no exp in that dept. If it was immediatly after blame the axle,yes. is is warranteed if so change it out worst case you pay labor only and rule out most likely culprit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Chinaloy axles are great for this type of problem, especially if the guy that replaced it did not center the driveline afterwards.... which if he was dumb enough to install a Sum-Ting-Wong axle in a Volkswagen, he probably has not a clue as to what centering the driveline is about. :rolleyes:

The most your car could have needed was an inner CV boot, MAYBE a joint if the boot was allowed to run split long enough to throw all the grease out.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Cause:
A mechanic swapped out the driver's side CV at 132000 miles.
Effect:
Ever since then there has been excessive vibration around 2000 rpm and 3500 rpm and up. The vibration is felt in the go pedal, steering wheel and shifter (manual 5 speed tranny).

OEM axles have dampening donuts on them and the tubes are hollow. 99% of the time aftermarket axles have neither.

Solution: remove and throw china axle in the trash and install proper OEM one. Better yet, if the old OEM axle is still available, rebuild it with new joints and boots(or whatever it needs).

thurgood

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Did you ever replace your axle shaft? I'm having a very similar problem on my ALH wagon. I dismissed the drive axles initially due to the vibration being tied to engine speed and not road speed.