Gasser to AAZ diesel swap (MK3 GOLF)

gribur

TDI
none yet!
starting a fresh post, Any questions here will be ones that have me stuck and have brought me to a grinding halt or at least slowed me down. I am swapping an AAZ from a donor mk3 golf into a gasser mk3 golf.
right now i am stuck with a couple things.

A) The gasser has no engine or tranny in it but a few items were left when i bought it. It has shifter and cables from what used to be a hydraulic clutch. mine that i will be swapping over is the old school shifter. I need to know if I need to swap the entire pedal assembly from the donor golf into the gasser shell? From what i can see, the gas pedal and the clutch pedal look different between the two golfs.

B) Do I need to swap the brake booster and master cylinder from the aaz golf over to the gasser shell? They look the same except that the gasser resevoir has a hose from it that I am assuming was for the clutch.

Thanks guys, I am hoping that someone will know the answers to my questions so I can keep a good pace going on this swap. I will be posting more I am sure, and yes, I am searching for the answers, so anything I post is something I cannot find a specific answer to.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
You have an option here..., but first:
is the AAZ w/turbo?
with ECU?
You can run it w/turbo and w/ECU or mechanical both ways.
what year are these guys?

DO change for the whole B4 pedal system if you are going w/ECU and electric, if not, I guess just about any pedal assembly could do(?).

Extra hose should be the vaccum for the brakes, no?

G60 has done some of hese change overs, PM him...

gribur

TDI
none yet!
golf

it is the golf TD, has turbo, no ecu, idi engine. all mechanical. just wondering what needs to be swapped over from the diesel and what needs to be removed from the gasser.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
gribur,
First look through the 'sticky' threads over in the 'Conversion' forum. I think there may already be an AAZ conversion documented there that answers your questions.
And if not, then copy your first post from here and paste it there as a new thread in that forum. You'll likely have more success with answers there. There may be fewer participants, but likely those that that have practiced.

At worst, look through my A3 Cabrio conversion. You'll need to do much the opposite that I did. I went from cable accelerator, link shifter and mechanical clutch, to drive-by-wire, cable shift, and hydraulic clutch.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If if the gasser was a 2.0 you're golden. The trans will bolt right up, the electrics for the AAZ are simple... an easy swap. Hardest bit will be dealing with the fuel tank.

-Jason

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Creating multiple threads with the same basic questions doesn't always yield better results each time. Here is what I said in November:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299052

i am swapping my aaz (from a wrecked mk3 golf) into a mk3 golf shell that had a vr6 in it. both cars have/had manual tranny's. the vr6 shell still has the shifter with the lines that led to the tranny, along with booster and master cylinder, and pedal assembly. someone has told me that i need to pull out the pedal assembly, all shifter parts and master cylinder, from the vr6 shell and replace them with the master, shifter and linkage and pedal assembly from the donor car which had the aaz in it.
Can someone further explain this? also do the golf aaz and the golf vr6 have the same brake booster? i just need to know what exactly i need to do, i need to have this car on the road before the snow hits us big time. also if there are any other things that i need to do that seem obvious to you, please post them, its my first swap and I dont want to mess it up too bad.
thanks for your help,
The heart of the transmission questions rest on this question: Does the AAZ use a 020 style transmission? If so then what I would do is upgrade if $$$ don't restrict you to the TDI 02A CTN transmission and flywheel. The TDI's transmission will allow you to use the VR6's shifter, clutch cylinders and pedal cluster. The transmission will also be able to take all the torque mods you ever throw at the AAZ.

I bet the Vr6 probably has ABS so the brake boosters are different unless the AAZ donor has ABS. You can convert to non-ABS but it requires a little more work.

My might want to review some of the other tdi swaps and just learn what the TDI swaps have run into for problems. You will have similar issues with the exception of the drive by wire go pedal since yours is cable. Your wiring should be much simpler too.