Permanent Fix for Glow Plug CEL (P0380)?

tdi94087

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
I encountered frequent CELs for glow plug related problems in my 2000 Golf. Tried most - contact cleaners, new glow plugs, new harness and relay (dealer's expense) - of the fixes posted here and elsewhere without success. The CEL would return with in a day of the fix.

While trying to fix the problem recently, I noticed that the boots over plugs 2 & 3 (counting from driver's side) would appear to have 'popped up' soon after a CEL appeared. Pressing down on the harness over plugs 2 and 3, I could feel a comfortable pop as the sockets seated on plug nipples.

Speculating that a combination of heat and engine vibrations cause the sockets to come loose, I tried tying down the harness with a couple of twist-ties. It has been over a week with no sign of CEL. Hope this fix takes care of intermittent CEL.

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
been there, take the harness off and crimp the ends where it plugs onto the glow plugs sightly with pliers, and reinstall. I did mine a year ago and have never have a code again.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Well, that is MY next approach. I DID press down on the GPH and found the center-two contacts "clicked" - but my CEL remains. Getting Vag-Commed this afternoon and Ill do the plier patch and see what happens. <sigh>