If VW buys back your JSW, what will you replace it with?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
What's the cargo area of an e-tron like compared to a JSW?

How long does it take to charge when you are at home? Do you just plug it into a 120V outlet, or did you need to have an electrician come in and give you a 240V outlet?

The e-tron cargo area is smaller (not as deep). The width is also less as the JSW has bulged out side panels inside the cargo area (at least on the right) but the e-tron has flat side panels. I can fit my bass guitar in the JSW but not in the e-tron (though my son's short scale bass fits and my daughter's guitar fits). I also believe the floor is higher.

Charging can be done with 110/120V and a 240V. The charger device comes with leads for both. It takes me out 8 hours plus or minus to charge on 120V.

They say it is some 2 1/2h or so for 240V but I don't have a 240V in my garage.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Had a Passat TDI which got hit and totaled before my Jetta. Since the TDI's are basically dead how are the TSI engines in the Passat? Looked at them online and I liked by TDI Passat. Figured with the Jetta buyback maybe good discounts seems like the TSI could be reasonable...

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Already narrowed it down. Will replace my JSW with a Prius V. The similar fuel economy, more cargo space. Those are the two things that matter most to me. I know the fun to drive will not be the same.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Had a Passat TDI which got hit and totaled before my Jetta. Since the TDI's are basically dead how are the TSI engines in the Passat? Looked at them online and I liked by TDI Passat. Figured with the Jetta buyback maybe good discounts seems like the TSI could be reasonable...
I've had the tsi in both the Jetta and Passats for rental cars. The engine feels much closer to a tdi than anything else out there. More low end torque but also a broader torque band. Never really looked at mileage but felt comfortable driving the cars around LA.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Been answered a few dozen posts back. The etron is based on the A3 sports back, which is longer than the Golf but shorter than the GSW. IIRC, it's about 12 inches shorter than the wagen.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
According to Google for the 2017 (I doubt it is much different than the 2016) e-tron

13.6 ft³, 33.7 ft³ with seat area

Jetta Sportwagen

32.8 ft³, 66.9 ft³ with seat area

2017 Volt

10.6 ft³

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
I was looking at the 2017 Jetta SEL and VW drop the LP from the Jetta models *** is wrong with them for some people better lights are essential. I got oem HID's on both TDI's and now I will be forced to buy a 2016 model in order to get the LP . So a Jetta for me and don't know what my wife wants to have .

mkv tdi

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
According to Google for the 2017 (I doubt it is much different than the 2016) e-tron

13.6 ft³, 33.7 ft³ with seat area

Jetta Sportwagen

32.8 ft³, 66.9 ft³ with seat area

2017 Volt

10.6 ft³
What flummoxed me is how the Golf has more storage than the A3 e-tron. Guess it's all the batteries?

MK7 Golf/GTI specs:
CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 22.8 cu.ft.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 52.7 cu.ft

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
What flummoxed me is how the Golf has more storage than the A3 e-tron. Guess it's all the batteries?
MK7 Golf/GTI specs:
CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 22.8 cu.ft.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 52.7 cu.ft
No, I think it's the roofline. The Golf is more squared off at the top (a few extra cubic feet) and the e-tron slopes a little more. The battery is under the rear seats and the fuel tank is where the spare tire would normally be.