Before You Drop Off Car At Dealer For Fix...

Geoff_in_MN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Save yourself some time and be sure to have your claim reference number on hand. It can be found amongst the various emails you received during the claim process. They can't touch the car without it. That's all.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
Actually they can. I was going to be out of town when my VW was scheduled for the fix. I went to the dealer the day before the appt and checked to make sure that they had everything that they needed, because I didn't want my wife to get hung up with problems. They assured me that the parts were in, that I was in their computer and everything was good to go (including a loaner, because we live 90 minutes from the dealer).

The next morning my wife called and said that they had to have the reference number or they couldn't do the work. Since I wasn't home I referenced the previous days visit and asked if there was anything else they could do, rather than reschedule the appt. The service manager called VW and explained the situation and VW called me. They had me verify my name, address, phone number and car year and model and said that they could proceed. The "fix" was completed as scheduled.

So I agree that although VW doesn't tell you that you need to bring your claim number with you, you should, but if you don't there is a work around and you can reference my situation if they claim that it can't be done. This was done at Elk Grove Volkswagen, and the service agent was Felipe.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The service manager called VW and explained the situation and VW called me. They had me verify my name, address, phone number and car year and model and said that they could proceed. The "fix" was completed as scheduled.
This is what happened to me when my sister took the car in instead of me. Wasn't a big deal the service writer and VW got on the phone to me and I verified the info. Once verified I just had to acknowledge that doing the fix would not allow me to do a buy-back later. I said ok and everything went on as planned.

Chummy

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I scheduled my appointment for the Approved Emissions Mod for my '14 Beetle TDI soon after learning of its approval by US EPA and CARB. I included comments in the dealer's online scheduling system and further indicated someone from the dealer should contact me in advance of the appointment so we could avoid any glitches.

Well, no one from the dealer bothered to contact me. Again. (This has happened with them previously.) Instead, I dropped a direct email, including a copy to the dealer's GM. No response. I then called, spoke with the dealer's Service Manager.

The SM confirmed with me parts were in, mod was available for completion. Where VW told us the mod service would take from 2.5-3 hours to complete, the SM said their experience was more like 3-4 hours. He would arrange for a loaner vehicle for me. He wasn't aware of any VW TDI owners' issues, apart from additional consumption of AdBlue. (I informed him the '14 Beetle TDI didn't rely on this.)

Was there anything else?

Nope.

This morning I arrived and, sure enough, I needed my Claim Confirmation Number.

Further, I was told, there was a second recall needed on my Beetle, involving a snow flap / O2 sensor, etc. VW, I was told, didn't allow the dealer to stock the parts, that they wouldn't know if the sensor needed to be replaced until they began the emissions mod service. Also, the parts may not be in the local warehouse, thus it wouldn't be 3-4 hours, it would be 2-3 days at minimum waiting for a part, which could then be installed in approximately 1 hour.

I checked the booklet VW provided about the emissions mod; the dealer was supposed to inform me (and you all) of any additional work at the time the appointment was scheduled.

The only days folks like surprises is Christmas and their Birthday. Today is neither.

You may wish to perform your own search for any open or active recall(s) on your TDI in advance of the appointment.

I'm waiting for some unknown date and time now for work to be completed on my TDI, waiting for a response from the Volkswagen Regional Customer Service Manager.

Needless to say, I parted ways with the original Dealer after this latest flub of theirs.

Be prepared, fellow TDI Owners and Drivers.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I guess I don't see why this is such a problem. They keep your car for a couple of days, you have the loaner for a couple of days. What am I missing?

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
I guess I don't see why this is such a problem. They keep your car for a couple of days, you have the loaner for a couple of days. What am I missing?
Depends on your circumstances. If your dealership is very far from where you work, having to make the trek out and back on two separate days could be a significant inconvenience over just making arrangements for a single day, which could be a Saturday in the case of my local dealer.

Grnfsh

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Mine is scheduled to go in around 2 weeks from now. They asked for my claim number when I made the appt. I think ill take my paper work with me anyhow. I also got the snow flap notification in the mail, and i think the tech mentioned it over the phone when I made the appt. Hopefully it will go smooth

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I got the snow flap notice after they did the emissions modification. I called the dealer and he said that they completed that modification as part of the process. I had to let him know that in Commiefornia we need to show a certificate of completion to DMV when we try to get our annual registration. He said that they would send me one.