Oil out of the exhaust, probably not turbo

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I recently bought a 99 beetle in non running condition. I finally got it running and it's dumping oil out the exhaust. There is a small hole in the bottom of the cat and it's pouring out of there.
The story I was told about the car was the turbo blew and the mechanic replaced it but the owner never came back to pick the car up. The turbo on it looks brand new and I think it's an OEM turbo from VW based on the markings.
I had the car up on jack stands and had it running for all of 2 minutes. The next day there was somewhere around 1/2 to 1 cup of oil on the floor. It's definitely coming out of the cat. I'm planning to replace the turbo with a used one I have and see what happens. The day before I was driving the car in the parking lot for about 20 minutes to take some of the rust off the rotors from sitting.
The car smokes piles of gray smoke until everything gets hot then I can't see the smoke in my rear view mirror.
If it's not the turbo, what's the next most likely thing given that the previous turbo blew up?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I'd be leery of running the car without at least pulling the intake pipes and precooler to see if there's oil and shrapnel in there.
Don't know what the other guy did when he replaced the turbo.
Had a similar instance on my sons car, his turbo snapped in half and dumped a whole bunch of oil into the exhaust.
Once I cleaned everything up it took a good 20 minutes of some aggressive driving to burn out the oil in the cat and muffler.......made a hell of a smoke screen too.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Steve is right.

Clean the piping and intercooler out and then drive it for a while let it burn that oil out of there.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the exhaust can hold a tremendous amount of oil... you can just about darken the skies and obscure all visibility when burning the remnants out ... new turbo is probably fine

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
I can back these guys up. Recently replaced the turbo on my 05. Blew oil out the exhaust all over my neighborhood roads and 5 miles down country roads before it blew out/burned off.

If you're suspect of the turbo, run it for a couple miles, then check the oil level. If it hasn't significantly dropped, you're probably just burning and blowing residual out the pipes.

And DEFINITELY clean the intake side, VERY well, especially the intercooler. It will accumulate a TON of oil and could be very disastrous if not taken care of.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There are instruction threads here about cleaning the intercooler w/o removing it; generally speaking 2 large cans of carburetor cleaner and a few gallons of water, some soapy, some rinse-y.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
I was told that the intake piping had already been cleaned out and I have driven the car hard for 20 minutes in a large parking lot. It's not revving properly though so maybe it's not building a lot of boost. I'll look into it.
Since it did stop blowing oil after the 20 minutes I assumed I had cleared out all the oil. I guess I'll keep an eye on the level and will likely pop off the intercooler and have a look in there. Some days I really wonder why I ever bought this car...

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I do have VCDS but I just moved and can't find the cable right now. I'm just focused on getting it through the safety inspection so I can drive it and then start messing with it. I just got my reverse light switch which I think was the last thing needed for the safety. I do have a compression gauge and am planning on checking that. It's been on my to do list for a while.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Took me an hour of spirited driving to blow all the oil out of my exhaust when I had my runaway... and I mean "spirited" as in had to get the EGTs up there to burn it all off.

You may just need to keep at it a bit. :) :)

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I was finishing up the work for the safety and had a bit of extra time so I decided to check the intercooler. There was at least 1 cup of oil in it and I saw some metal. So I decided to pull it out and wash it. Then with the intercooler hoses disconnected I started the engine and watched for oil coming out the hose from the turbo. It was a steady drip. I held the throttle at 2500 RPM and watched a steady stream of oil coming out of the turbo hose. I shut it down and then happened to look at the tailpipe. There was at least a liter of oil under the car back there. I cleaned that up and then popped off the hose for the air inlet on the turbo and sure enough, my brand spicken new turbo has a snapped shaft. I've ordered the gaskets and will hopefully have one of my spare turbos on it soon. I'm planning to check compression first though just in case this thing is headed to the scrap heap.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I would check that your oil return line coming from the turbo is not plugged....just incase.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would say check the return line hole into the block is also clear. Long shot.
Is it possible it's a China turbo / reman, not VW new?
Would explain early failure.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a new return line but I'll definitely be inspecting everything. I notice that the feed line was spliced with a chunk of rubber hose. I'll be replacing the whole line with a braided one.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the oil that came out of the exhaust last night while troubleshooting

And here is the oil running out of the turbo cold side at 2000 RPM

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's what the turbo looked like

"New" turbo goes on tomorrow. Any thoughts as to what caused the failure?

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked my compression. 500,500,470,470 so that seems fine. I just got all my gaskets so hopefully I can get this thing running. If it wasn't for e-tests I'd just delete the turbo.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
All turbos have at least a small amount of surge; if there is junk of any kind in the intercooler under full boost the pieces may be in the IC and under less than full boost the pieces may travel back to the turbo and throw it out of balance. That is why the suggestion to just replace the IC is not a "far off" idea.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the car is running again. It actually is quick enough to push me back into my seat a bit so that's nice. I did consider replacing the IC and I still might. Certain 1.8T ones are an upgrade right?

I still have to do the timing belt on it before I can really drive it.