stuck in gear

TDI
2000 vw beetle
i have a 2000 vw beetle tdi and i noticed yesterday it didnt want to go into first gear, well today it was first and second gear and when i got home i tried running it threw the gears and it ended up stuck in 5th gear i did get it out but is something about to break? a little history of the car it has a little over 300,000 miles on it and we replaced the original clutch about 2 months ago. any help or advise would be awesome!!

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
This could be as simple (hopefully) as a linkage issue. Are you able to get it into any other gears and keep it in gear?

TDI
2000 vw beetle
yes i can shift it fine from 3rd 4th and 5th with out any issues. it just doesn't want to go into first and second, occasionally it will go into them with out an issue

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Assuming that your clutch work is sound:

1) Adjust shift linkages
2) Check shift tower (see http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476135&highlight=shift+tower
3. Fluid change (if you didn't do it when you did the clutch)

First gear selection is known to pop up with issues owing to failing/failed bushings in the floor shifter. Fix is the Diesel Geek "First Gear Getter."

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
^I agree.

Since you can sometimes get it into 1st and second gear and keep it in, it's likely to be linkage related instead of internal damage to the syncros, and easily shifting from 3-4-5 means the clutch shouldn't be dragging.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I may be totally wrong, but instead of a traditional "linkage" is it not done with cables/wires??? In that case an overstreachted cable/wire?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Also the clutch "fork" as we used to call them could be cracked. Would be prudent to look closely after cable adjustments and fluid levels are inspected.