Bizarre Electrical issues

okratpack

TDI
2002 VW Bettle 1.9TDI
2002 VW Beetle 1.9 TDI. Over the past week my daughter has told me that at times she had no headlights, no turn signals and no AC. However, she turned it off the other day and when she started it again she had all three. Drove 5 miles to store and upon returning from the store and starting it back up no headlights, blinkers or AC. This has happened several times in the past week or so. Any thoughts as to what it might be? You guys saved me a ton of cash on the last issue so I am hoping you can give me some insight on this and I hope it is fixable by myself. Thanks in advance!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
One of two things I can think of off the top of my head: either the load reduction relay is causing the issue or the ignition switch that's supposed to trigger the load reduction relay is likely the cause...

okratpack

TDI
2002 VW Bettle 1.9TDI
So Matt-98AHU - I actually replaced the ignition switch about a month ago since the car would not start and someone indicated that was the issue. I replaced it and all has been good until now. I actually replaced it with one from AutoZone. So what do you think? Bad idea with one from AZ? Maybe try replacing the load reduction relay first? Thanks so much for the advice!

okratpack

TDI
2002 VW Bettle 1.9TDI
Sorry - I am just getting around to working on this car and I can't find a load reduction relay? Can someone point me in the right direction with the part I need. No parts I can find actually calls it that. I also can't find it on the car. Maybe that is the first step. If you could let me know where it is I will pull the original and get a replacement part.
THANKS!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.

Relay in slot #2 of the lower most panel, labeled "100"

Part number on this one reads 7M0 951 253 A.

It's a pretty straightforward, standard relay, it just has extra large contacts for the load it's designed to carry (as opposed to the standard relay "53" used all over the place in VW world).

Anyone else notice that BEWs got a relay "103" installed in slot 4? There's no power going to it, there's wires going to the control side, but ultimately they don't actually connect to anything anyway. When I do auto to manual conversions, I've just been removing them... You know, just in case a 96 Passat TDI shows up at the shop and needs the old school dummy glow plug relay. ;)

European EDC15 PD engines used the dummy relay in that location I found out when I did an ARL swap for a customer a few years ago. Just interesting to know that many EDC15 cars in Europe don't even have diag capable glow plug system, hence the "diesel" label right underneath the threaded post for relay slot 4 where 103 sits here.

okratpack

TDI
2002 VW Bettle 1.9TDI
UPDATE: I replaced the LRR and that did not help. the head lights still do not work and the fan does not work. I can get the high beams to work if I hold up on the hi/low lever but only if you hold it up. Any other thoughts? I did replace the ignition switch about two months ago but it was with an Auto Zone part. Could that be the issue? Do I need a genuine VW ignition switch? Thanks guys for your help!

realslimshaver

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta gls tdi
Do you have a multimeter or 12v test lamp? You could have a broken wire and need to test at contact points o and go from there. Could be defective switch bit the lamp or volt meter will let you know