Brake pad worn light on always

Diesel126

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI DSG / 2006 Jetta TDI DSG / 2011 Touareg TDI Executive
I can not get this light to turn off. Front brakes are good. I have a VCDS but, the fault does not show up. The light is constantly on.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
find the wire from the front brake pad (which may be broken off)

pull from the pad, strip and connect the wires to each other by the method of your choice.

if you like, you can disconnect at the connector, and perform the wire splicing in the comfort of your home.

(and then put it back)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Use a little jumper wire in the part from the car that plugs into the brake pad. Just shove the wire in first one side then the other and tape up. You're good to go. Cut the wire coming from the brake pad itself off.

Or as meerschm said. Cut the pad wire off twist the bare ends together tape and plug in.

Last edited:

Diesel126

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI DSG / 2006 Jetta TDI DSG / 2011 Touareg TDI Executive
I have had that done for years. (wires connected together)
Light stays on all the time.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Redo the connection make sure they are making good contact.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the light comes on when the circuit with those wires is an open.

so if the light is on, a wire someplace is not completing the circuit.

it is also possible that the wire further away from the brake pads has a problem.

just have to look.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
If I correctly recall, there is an option to turn it off in VCDS. It's not as simple as checking/unchecking a bit in the long coding help, it's one of those options where when you enter the coding menu, VCDS will give you a list of options for the car, along with numbers that need to be added/deducted form the coding. I hope it makes sense, that's how I've disabled mine. If not, I would redo the wire connections.
Check out this link, in "17 Instruments":
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vwmkIV.html

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just turn it off with a scan tool, LOL. Done easily, don't even need to get your hands dirty, won't ever come on again.

They often come on WAY too soon, because the sensor wires crack and break even with 50%+ brake pad remaining.