Need help validating TDC

IronBenderII

TDI
'82 Westfalia
hi all. I have a 1Z engine I'm putting into a Westfalia. I fear that I've lost timing on the engine ( don't ask, lol) and want to validate that I have everything in alignment. I will take the #1 glow plug out (closest to front of engine, right?) and find crank TDC but how do I validate the cam and pump are in the correct position?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
cam will have the slot line up with the deck near cylinder 4 while the lobes for cylinder 1 are pointing upwards.

the pump is locked at TDC by inserting the pin, im not 100% sure but i think its possible to set the pump 180* out...

IronBenderII

TDI
'82 Westfalia
cam will have the slot line up with the deck near cylinder 4 while the lobes for cylinder 1 are pointing upwards.

the pump is locked at TDC by inserting the pin, im not 100% sure but i think its possible to set the pump 180* out...

Thanks. I totally forgot about the slot!! I know I'm not far out (if at all). Thanks a ton!!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)

That was more of an issue with the older VWs. The IP sprockets are interchangeable, but the early ones had 2 lockpin holes that would allow what you describe. I'm unsure what they did that, but if you pull the sprocket, the key way should be at 10:00 at TDC.

Not going to lie, I've timed a car 180° out... it ran, but like crap. I don't think I ever saw a later IP sprocket with 2 lockpin holes.

-Todd