Driver's door detected open

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
2006 Jetta TDI
186000 miles
DSG

This issue started intermittent a few weeks ago. Driver's door opening/closing state while it was in the closed position. This resulted in a few dead battery occurrences until I added a maintainer.

I have VCDS, so if there are any logs or outputs that you all would like let me know. Contact Switch(F2) on the driver's door is showing open at all times. When going through the output tests on the door, everything functions, including the unlock test.

We replaced the driver's door harness about 30k miles ago, currently at 186k. The 80mm longer one was used for replacement. I think that was ~2-3 years ago.

Thinking that the harness is fine due to the previous replacement, I chose to order the door switch. I just installed it today, same exact condition occurring. Contact Switch(F2) - Open.

I am at a lose on this one. Is it possible that two switches are independently bad in the same exact way, not even intermittent functionality? Maybe another harness failure? What else could it be?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Note, I didn't order lock from one of the vendors. Usually I do. I went with an amazon seller as everything seemed proper and it saved $50.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WG3L8G/

I've had OEM VW parts before. All packaging was oem and the part appeared new with the proper VW molded stamps in place.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Have you checked at the door hinge to see if there is wear in the new harness? I agree that it should not go bad so fast but I would look at that area to confirm.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
So I had a similar issue and it ended up being the control module (I think that is what it's called) in the door. It's the little box that the harness plugs into.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you checked at the door hinge to see if there is wear in the new harness? I agree that it should not go bad so fast but I would look at that area to confirm.
I'll pull it apart and check for cracks.

Thank you

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
So I had a similar issue and it ended up being the control module (I think that is what it's called) in the door. It's the little box that the harness plugs into.
Would you be able to provide more details on this? I googled it and the module appears to be attached to the window motor in each door.

A search lead me to these pages:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Door_Electronics_Driver
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...r-control-modules-in-Mk5-Golf-platform-models

If I'm understanding that correctly, due to lack of replacement parts, I'm going to have to replace the module in both front doors as well "19-CAN Gateway".

I think you're onto something here as I have other control issues. From the driver's door I can not actuate the Driver side rear window. It works perfectly fine from that door switch as well as during the output tests. The one touch up/down functions sometimes reset on various windows when the battery has not died or been disconnected. The one touch down on the passenger rear can be controlled via the driver's switch, but not the one touch up. That function works fine from that door though.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
Would you be able to provide more details on this? I googled it and the module appears to be attached to the window motor in each door.

A search lead me to these pages:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Door_Electronics_Driver
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...r-control-modules-in-Mk5-Golf-platform-models

If I'm understanding that correctly, due to lack of replacement parts, I'm going to have to replace the module in both front doors as well "19-CAN Gateway".

I think you're onto something here as I have other control issues. From the driver's door I can not actuate the Driver side rear window. It works perfectly fine from that door switch as well as during the output tests. The one touch up/down functions sometimes reset on various windows when the battery has not died or been disconnected. The one touch down on the passenger rear can be controlled via the driver's switch, but not the one touch up. That function works fine from that door though.
So this is my posting of what led up to this and my solution at the bottom

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447179

As stated I found a module that was one number off on ebay and installed it. It is replaceable without replacing the window motor. The only thing that I lost was the puddle jumper lights and really didn't pay much attention because I had to replace the passenger side mirror and replaced it with one that didn't have the light so no real loss.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Issue resolved.

So this is my posting of what led up to this and my solution at the bottom

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447179

As stated I found a module that was one number off on ebay and installed it. It is replaceable without replacing the window motor. The only thing that I lost was the puddle jumper lights and really didn't pay much attention because I had to replace the passenger side mirror and replaced it with one that didn't have the light so no real loss.
Thank you so much for the help!

The issue was the Driver's Door control module that's attached to the window motor. I had 1K0959701P from the factory, 2,3 and 4 P in the other doors. I changed it out with a 1K0959701Q from a 2008 Passat. Coding was easy as it had everything enabled already and only memory driver's seat needed to be disabled.

The window motor was different between the 2006 jetta and 2008 passat. The Jetta being short and fat while the passat was long and skinny. Jetta made by Bosch and Passat made by Siemens. I decided to put the newer window motor in along with the module. It fits and works perfectly, it does seem to be slightly slower than the passenger front window now though...

Issues fixed by replacing the module:
Driver's door latch state properly detected
Driver's rear window control now working, including one touch up/down.

Unknown state:
We have been having trunk latch popping issues. The latch has been replaced. Issue persisted. Hopefully that was a result of the module as well!

Unchanged state:
Passenger rear window one touch up not working. This function works from that door. I'm not sure what the culprit could be on this one.