RNS510 RNS315 swap

Fordrox

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI with an RNS510, I am thinking of doing the trade in and buying a 2015 Jetta TDI that has the RNS315. Can I swap the units between cars and if so, what all does it take?

TIA

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have a 2015 Passat and it has the RNS-510 why do you think a 2015 Jetta has the older model?

Copied from VWVortex:
I have a 12 Tiguan SEL with Premium NAV (RNS510) latest version
I also have a 12 Golf R with NAV (RNS315)

The RNS510 is a much better NAV unit.

The RNS315 is much faster. The RNS315 does not offer internal storage. The RNS315 maps and smaller screen make it less usable for navigation.

My RNS 510 is not slow. It has NavTraffic and NavWeather and TravelLink. The larger screen and better maps make NAVIGATION much easier. The process to add stopovers to your route in the RNS510 is easier and more intuitive. I prefer the RNS510 because you get more data at your fingertips. Things that bug me about the RNS510 is that it cannot rip CD's to the internal drive, or copy from the MDI interface. It seems the only option for copying material to the internal drive is SD card. Copying to the Internal drive is infernally slow. I am putting 2.9 gigs on the drive right now and it looks like it will take at least an hour. Both units offer bluetooth audio with control. The RNS 510 has a higher incidence of breakup of the audio.

Both units lack a backup feature or history feature.

I am told you can upgrade the hard disk in the 510 to PATA SSD and get faster performance.

My two cents...

Last edited:

Fordrox

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Jetta Pilot, Because every Jetta I look at has the 315 installed. It seems odd to me that my older car has nicer/better head unit in it.

Thanx,

Last edited: