New 2015 Passat in 2017 from Dealer Nav reimburse

otep858

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI (Times 2) SEL Premium
Just as a heads up to those of you (like me) that have bought a new 2015 from a dealer. if it has navigation, since the maps in it were basically 2 years old (on a brand new car) i was able to get a 300 dollar gift card from VW, as a courtesy. Just chat with, or call VW customer service. on their website you can find the link to chat or their number is 1 (800) 822-8987.. 300 bucks is 300 bucks... ive done it and have helped 2 other people get theirs. just fyi

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think I'll have to go this way . . . 2 months or so and the service mgr locally (who claims to have fired this question into VW) still has not gotten a reply. Time to go around him . . .

And hopefully the 2017 map release will be out soon, otherwise, you get to buy 'less old' map data . . .

rileyctr

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
no luck with VW USA
"I really appreciate your patience, Larry and I'm so sorry for the wait. I was taking a closer look, and confirmed the map update is not something that is included with the new purchase, and I apologize for this inconvenience. These updates are sold through a third party company called HERE, and can be purchased online via the following link: http://vw.navigation.com/en_US/VWNA/USD"

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen a number of first hand reports of VWUSA issuing gift cards for the cost of the update (or more) . . . Seems like it depends who you get when you call . . .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW chat last friday, confirmed a that VW knew of the issue with the TDIs but can't send us the map update but will be mailing a $300 gift card our way in 3-4 weeks.

Not bad, took 15 min maybe over chat, tossed them the VIN and our mailing address to confirm the registration.

I think the biggest sell is that its a TDI, you enjoy your car but are disappointed the maps are outdated on a new car, I'm expected to buy a map upgrade on a new car?

btw no way are we spending any money on the POS nav, this 300 will go to service/parts.

The one thing that gets the wife railed up more than anything is a slow UI response of any technology. She's this close to ripping the unit out and finding something new.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Honestly, I just did 1300+ miles with my RNS in the 2013, and I still can't find anything that is unacceptably slow or does not work. I just updated maps (third or fourth time), and it's dead on . . .the traffic alert/reroute was alway dead on, station changes instantaneous, speakerphone worked fine. The *only* thing that is irritatingly slow is address entry, since it is predictive. But considering that that is 1 to 2 minutes of a multi day trip, I really can't regard it as any more than a minor annoyance. Enter frequent stuff to memory, and then recall is pretty much instant . . . Oh, and this was also with voice commands turned back on (worked fine as well) . . . Routes just about as well as my Garmin, but can't predict arrival times worth a darn on rural roads.

Phone nav? No way . . . a mobile phone these days is a device that does many things . . . poorly, and at a price.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Phone nav? No way . . . a mobile phone these days is a device that does many things . . . poorly, and at a price.

To say this and then say that Nav unit has no issues with slowness is rather ironic!!!!

Cause the nav unit has a hard drive, stores/plays movies, does voice command, streams sat radio, reads from and an SD card while updating the contacts from your phone book has no affect on its UI.

Agreed that once it warms up and is firing on all cylinders its not a bad unit, but try telling my wife that pressing more times on the screen once it starts thinking doesn't make it think faster is only comical for a few seconds.

Were planning a 1200 mile trip in august and if we take the Passat, the tom tom will be suction cupped to the RNS screen.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
All I know is what I see and use daily . . . From start to shift to reverse to camera on mine is sub 5 seconds . . . Also, it rarely does much of that stuff concurrently, so that's not that relevant, and the contacts upload and live in the RNS . . . Maybe I just use mine differently, but it's not a problem . . . But then again, my mindset is that I learn the gear, not try to force it to do things my way without learning anything about it . . .

Oh, and hard drives, for the minimal loads you described, are bored to tears . . . any issue it has, isn't due to having a drive in it . . . sorry . . .

Phones these days, I view as a forced billing system that occasionally accidentally does something that might be construed as productive. Task one, though, is generating a billing stream . . . everything else is secondary, and were it not for work, I would not own one - they offer me pretty much nothing that I need or want . . . at an absurd cost!

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Nav Reimburse

I have seen a number of first hand reports of VWUSA issuing gift cards for the cost of the update (or more) . . . Seems like it depends who you get when you call . . .
No luck for me....customer care says they have no program to help us out.

The original OP said $300 gift card and the map upgrade only cost $124...just doesn't seem right...

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Honestly, I just did 1300+ miles with my RNS in the 2013, and I still can't find anything that is unacceptably slow or does not work. I just updated maps (third or fourth time), and it's dead on . . .the traffic alert/reroute was alway dead on, station changes instantaneous, speakerphone worked fine. The *only* thing that is irritatingly slow is address entry, since it is predictive. But considering that that is 1 to 2 minutes of a multi day trip, I really can't regard it as any more than a minor annoyance. Enter frequent stuff to memory, and then recall is pretty much instant . . . Oh, and this was also with voice commands turned back on (worked fine as well) . . . Routes just about as well as my Garmin, but can't predict arrival times worth a darn on rural roads.

Another issue with phone nav/phone use is in Washington state it is basically illegal to hold a phone while driving. Based on the current climate, I believe most states, except some of the plains states will enact distracted driving laws. I have Waze on my phone, but much prefer the traffic screen on the RNS. I do think the SSD in the 15's RNS unit is faster than the 13.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Talked with VW chat last week about this issue. Given the map upgrade is only $124, they are providing a $100 gift card to offset the upgrade. That's fair, to me. Not sure why some are claiming $300. That would be crazy on VW's behalf.

A more pertinent question is the free 10k service that was available on these. That service was supposed to be completed at 10k miles/12 months. VW is less forthcoming when asked about that.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
"Not sure why some are claiming $300. That would be crazy on VW's behalf."

Oh, you caught me: I was lying to make others feel bad..........NOT!!!!!

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I'll try this, but I don't kid myself that it's a "new car." It had 3000 miles on it. It's a buy-back, previously titled, and therefore USED by any reasonable standard. Anything they give me is just gravy.

-mickey

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, until we have the $300 card in hand i'm not holding my breath

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I suspect that the only folks with a shot at this are those who bought "NOS" 2015's early. No way would I expect a CPO to be included, since there was never any representation of those as new . . .

Last edited:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I suspect that the only folks with a shot at this are those who bought "NOS" 2015's early. No way would I expect a CPO to be included, since there was never any representati9n of those as new . . .
Yes, that makes perfect sense and was our situation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guess what showed up yesterday?

A nice Visa with $300 on it, looks like a straight visa, no strings attached to spend at a dealer or anything else.

Again this was on a New Old Stock '15 bought back in May with 60 miles on the clock.

Thanks OP for the heads up, we're now $300 richer.

Last edited:

MIXMAN3113

TDI
2011 Golf, 2015 Golf SEL
VW chat last friday, confirmed a that VW knew of the issue with the TDIs but can't send us the map update but will be mailing a $300 gift card our way in 3-4 weeks.

Not bad, took 15 min maybe over chat, tossed them the VIN and our mailing address to confirm the registration.

I think the biggest sell is that its a TDI, you enjoy your car but are disappointed the maps are outdated on a new car, I'm expected to buy a map upgrade on a new car?

btw no way are we spending any money on the POS nav, this 300 will go to service/parts.

The one thing that gets the wife railed up more than anything is a slow UI response of any technology. She's this close to ripping the unit out and finding something new.
Do you happen to have a link to the VW chat?

I purchased a NOS Golf out of state. It came with a GTI Nav card installed, needless to say it didn't work at all. It was a V3 card.

Now after 3+ months going back and fourth with the dealer, they are finally sending me a card that should work. I wonder which version it will be.

If its an old version, which in sure it will be. I will be contacting VW.

TIA

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
What an absolute pain in the butt! Took me 3 full minutes of my precious time and they had the NERVE to handle this with no problems or issues at all. (If you’re immune to sarcasm, I’m laying it on pretty thick).

System said:
Thanks for choosing VW Chat! One of our Advocates will be with you shortly. In the meantime, feel free to browse our FAQ Page.

Melody P said:
Hello! My name is Melody P. How can I help you?

David K. Simpson said:
Hello I bought a “new” 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium and for the first time recently tried to use the navigation only to find out that the maps are about 4 years old and many streets around me aren’t even in the database. Can you provide me with the latest maps seeing as how it is a brand new car?

Melody P said:
Hey David, thanks for reaching out to me here today at Customer CARE! I would be glad to look into this further for you today. To begin, do you have the VIN for the new Passat?

David K. Simpson said:
Sure. It’s 1VWCV7A32FC097030

Melody P said:
Thanks David, do you know about how many miles are currently on the Passat?

David K. Simpson said:
About 5000. Had 137 when I picked it up. Never needed the navigation until recently.

Melody P said:
I understand, no problem at all! To confirm, can you provide me your current mailing address, best contact phone number and email address?

David K. Simpson said:

Melody P said:
Perfect thanks so much! I would like to review to issue you a gift card to cover the purchase of the new navigation update. I will create a case for you now, and email you by the close of business tomorrow with confirmation!

David K. Simpson said:
Thank you. Greatly appreciated. Have a great night.

Melody P said:
Of course! Have a great night, and I will be emailing you tomorrow :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
baddaboom baddabing!

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta, 2013 JSW, 2015 PASSAT SEL
What an absolute pain in the butt! Took me 3 full minutes of my precious time and they had the NERVE to handle this with no problems or issues at all. (If you’re immune to sarcasm, I’m laying it on pretty thick).

System said:
Thanks for choosing VW Chat! One of our Advocates will be with you shortly. In the meantime, feel free to browse our FAQ Page.

Melody P said:
Hello! My name is Melody P. How can I help you?

David K. Simpson said:
Hello I bought a “new” 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium and for the first time recently tried to use the navigation only to find out that the maps are about 4 years old and many streets around me aren’t even in the database. Can you provide me with the latest maps seeing as how it is a brand new car?

Melody P said:
Hey David, thanks for reaching out to me here today at Customer CARE! I would be glad to look into this further for you today. To begin, do you have the VIN for the new Passat?

David K. Simpson said:
Sure. It’s 1VWCV7A32FC097030

Melody P said:
Thanks David, do you know about how many miles are currently on the Passat?

David K. Simpson said:
About 5000. Had 137 when I picked it up. Never needed the navigation until recently.

Melody P said:
I understand, no problem at all! To confirm, can you provide me your current mailing address, best contact phone number and email address?

David K. Simpson said:

Melody P said:
Perfect thanks so much! I would like to review to issue you a gift card to cover the purchase of the new navigation update. I will create a case for you now, and email you by the close of business tomorrow with confirmation!

David K. Simpson said:
Thank you. Greatly appreciated. Have a great night.

Melody P said:
Of course! Have a great night, and I will be emailing you tomorrow :)

Just did the chat...got the exact same response you did. Thanks for the heads up.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Called VW Care about ours and was told if I can show proof of purchase of the new map DVD they will send a check for $150. They contacted the dealer who had sold us the 2015 SEL and confirmed it was delivered with the old maps. Wondering why some get a $300 Visa with no strings attached vs what we were offered.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
try the chat, just like with all VW staff, ask a question to 5 different people, 5 different answers.

Any no way are we spending anything on that nav system, but thanks for the $300.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
thanks I'll try that "route"

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Just got confirmation that they are sending me a $100.00 gift card.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spent the $300 card at Ikea, we are now the proud owners of 2 massive dressers. Thanks VW!