Malone 0.5 tune?

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Hello.
Any thoughts on the Malone 0.5 tune? I plan to keep me 2012 JSW until fall of 2018 and I'd like to mildly increase the power.
Thanks!

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
After doing some more research on this, I'm now thinking of getting the Malone DSG tune, rather than the 0.5 ECU tune.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
The dsg tune would probably improve the driveability more than the engine tune. Ideally you would get both, but that can get pricey.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Yes, I emailed Malone and they recommend the DSG tune over the 0.5 tune for increased driveability, which is really what I want to improve on this car.

If I was keeping this for more than a year or so I would also consider Stage 2.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I went yesterday to Trentec Automotive in Newark, DE and had the Malone DSG tune installed. Then I had the Malone Stage 2 tune installed as well. :)

Now the car drives like a TDI should.

It was a pleasure doing business with Trent.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You did the right thing :)

The 0.5 tune does improve driveability slightly, but for most not noticeably as far as the DSG glitchyness goes. Proper DSG tune and Stage 2 make it a whole new car.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Thanks
Tonight I'm going out with an old friend who has worked at EPA for 20 or so years, with our wives. He likes to kid me about dieselgate we will be in my TDI this will be fun

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
spill some oil on the header or exhaust to make it smoke real bad, hahaha

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I wasn't able to really open it up (wives in car), but it was still a fun drive, and he has a sense of humor. (He wasn't professionally involved in dieselgate in any way.)

But I didn't take your advice. ;)

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
My wife has a DSG JSW. What does the DSG tune do to make it feel like a new car? Smooths out the jerky shifts? Also, I'm thinking about the Malone 2.0 tune... how does that affect fuel economy?

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
My wife has a DSG JSW. What does the DSG tune do to make it feel like a new car? Smooths out the jerky shifts? Also, I'm thinking about the Malone 2.0 tune... how does that affect fuel economy?

Yes, the DSG tune smooths out the jerky shifts very nicely.

I have not yet noticed a change in fuel economy, although this car has always been on the relatively low side of TDI fuel economy (maybe it's just the way I drive?)

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I don't know. You could email Malone ask them if they can tune your transmission

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Is a DSG from a certain year as in after the tiptronic trans?
Depends on the model, but DSG came on the scene in mid 20xx decade. 2006 Jetta TDI was available with DSG. If you have a DSG, there should be a DSG logo on the gear selector (I think).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
All TDIs automatics after 2006 have been DSG.

Pretty easy.