Gen II 3.0 speculation(s).

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
$8k repair restitution + $1500 Bosch money on every car is guaranteed. On top of that, we can get $4k in the next 2-3 weeks.
Where is the additional $4K coming from?

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Very difficult to find any Gen I 3.0's these days. Called on a Treg Sport last week that was listed for $28K, when they realized what they had they took the top four bids. Buyback was at $45.5. I told them I would go $36, they said they had a guy at $43. So, unless that guy was local I dont see how it pencils.
I'm picking up a 2014 A7 tomorrow, salesman says he has been getting 10 calls a day on it. There are people out there paying attention.
Where was that A7 ? Just curious because I was looking at a 2014 A7 also.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Does anyone know who is the Alaska guy? He keeps beating me to so many cars on cars.com / autotrader

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
I am getting a little frustrated myself except I am not necessarily looking for 3 liters.

I am looking for a 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription and found several good deals.

Called one dealer gave them a $5k deposit and 30 min later the salesman gives me some BS story that they need to give local buyers the opportunity to buy the car for a local deal that would go in there books for June.

This was after the salesman told me the car was priced $3k too low which is what forced my hand to give them a deposit.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Here's the thing: you're taking a chance in selling the car you bought and had fixed. And you'll be selling against "new" 2015's and 2016's. You could come out fine+ if the market holds as well for these bigger vehicles as it did for the littler ones. On Club Touareg fewer current gen 1 owners than I would have expected seem intent on converting their buyback $ to a gen 2. The timing is off, for one. I'm not concern trolling I just have given a lot of thought to this issue and am as eager as you all to see the outcome.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Here's the thing: you're taking a chance in selling the car you bought and had fixed. And you'll be selling against "new" 2015's and 2016's. You could come out fine+ if the market holds as well for these bigger vehicles as it did for the littler ones. On Club Touareg fewer current gen 1 owners than I would have expected seem intent on converting their buyback $ to a gen 2. The timing is off, for one. I'm not concern trolling I just have given a lot of thought to this issue and am as eager as you all to see the outcome.
I agree. The market jumped up on 2.0s and 1st Gen 3.0s due to buyback. Auction prices are on the rise which caused dealers to price them higher.

I think same will happen when 2nd Gen will get fixed. People who know will under cut others due to fix money and slowly the market will come down as well.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
All good points. Concerning the 2.0L TDI post repair units, sales numbers are excellent on the "new" 2015 models, but those units were offered up for sale with pretty decent discounts - $5K off towards purchase, and $8.5K off for leased units.

I think the "used" post repair market will be difficult to predict.

No doubt, *certain* post repair models will remain in high demand. I have noticed a large number of used 2015 models posted for sale and they don't seem to be moving quickly.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Does anyone know who is the Alaska guy? He keeps beating me to so many cars on cars.com / autotrader
lol, that damned alaska guy! how is it worth it for him to ship cars to alaska? unless he is sending them to someone in the Contiguous states. but yea, i keep hearing about him ;)

whats the highest profit car you got in may TDIforDays?

I think my highest profit one I just got a few weeks ago. Did anyone catch the super low miles A3 ? well... I did :)

opsx

TDI
tdi
hey who bought that Oklahoma Passat this morning? dang!

also, why are people buying cars with 1-2K profit? are they going to hold them until the last minute? it really is annoying when dealers start bidding wars and people do that...

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
lol, that damned alaska guy! how is it worth it for him to ship cars to alaska? unless he is sending them to someone in the Contiguous states. but yea, i keep hearing about him ;)
whats the highest profit car you got in may TDIforDays?
I think my highest profit one I just got a few weeks ago. Did anyone catch the super low miles A3 ? well... I did :)
Highest dollar amounts are of course the 3.0s. Highest percentage are 2.0s

hey who bought that Oklahoma Passat this morning? dang!

also, why are people buying cars with 1-2K profit? are they going to hold them until the last minute? it really is annoying when dealers start bidding wars and people do that...
It all depends how much money you have. Duvall Ford and Mnfiniti of Mission Viejo buy cars at auctions with $200 profits. But they buy every single car so in the end, they make enough.

We purchased plenty of cars with low profit, but its profit none the less... Of course not $200 lol

TDI
Golf
Assuming the fixes on the 2gen 3.0s are approved, I don't think the re-sale market will hold up as well as you guys think.

Look at how many "new" 2015s are lingering out there consistently seeing price chops. Additionally, while the extended warranty certainly has value, an already fixed 3L TDI has to be cross-shopped with the non TDI variants. If you look at the premiums TDIs are currently fetching over gassers, I do not think they are sustainable.

Just my $0.02

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Assuming the fixes on the 2gen 3.0s are approved, I don't think the re-sale market will hold up as well as you guys think.

Look at how many "new" 2015s are lingering out there consistently seeing price chops. Additionally, while the extended warranty certainly has value, an already fixed 3L TDI has to be cross-shopped with the non TDI variants. If you look at the premiums TDIs are currently fetching over gassers, I do not think they are sustainable.

Just my $0.02
The bid-ask spread between auction prices for the Gen II 3.0L and dealer retail prices is more than enough cushion to absorb any depreciation that might happen in the next 3-6 months. There is also the $8k repair payment to add to that cushion.

I'm not going to get rich off the Gen II vehicles if a fix is found, but that's why it's speculation - the potential returns if a buyback does happen are immense. I could very nearly retire with the amount of money I'd make, and I'm in my 20s.

opsx

TDI
tdi
It's a PITA to spend all day refreshing various car sale websites to dig up the Gen I 3.0L/2.0L cars, find one, call, and be told that "Oh, that wasn't supposed to get in our system - it was a buyback".
Why do you suppose all the buyback cars that show up in dealer inventory by mistake don't show up that way in the claims portal? When you put one through there isn't a single notification that tells you the car has already been claimed for the buyback. Isn't that kind of weird/scary?

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
The bid-ask spread between auction prices for the Gen II 3.0L and dealer retail prices is more than enough cushion to absorb any depreciation that might happen in the next 3-6 months. There is also the $8k repair payment to add to that cushion.

I'm not going to get rich off the Gen II vehicles if a fix is found, but that's why it's speculation - the potential returns if a buyback does happen are immense. I could very nearly retire with the amount of money I'd make, and I'm in my 20s.
We're betting on this also. We recently bought a 2014 Q7 Premium Plus with about 45k miles for ~$36k. There wasn't a previous claim, so even if a fix gets approved, we'll get $10k and only be in it ~$26k or so. We're betting we can easily sell that car for at least that much, but I guess you never know until it actually happens.

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Whats a Prestige Plus? You mean Premium Plus?

I just wanted a killer deal on a bigger diesel, it was the only way I was convinced of giving up my beloved Golf... I'm hoping buybacks are not offered or I'll have to give up another Diesel I love in the name of serious money.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
Whats a Prestige Plus? You mean Premium Plus?

I just wanted a killer deal on a bigger diesel, it was the only way I was convinced of giving up my beloved Golf... I'm hoping buybacks are not offered or I'll have to give up another Diesel I love in the name of serious money.
Ah, yes, I meant Premium Plus - was just a little absent minded when I typed that.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Why do you suppose all the buyback cars that show up in dealer inventory by mistake don't show up that way in the claims portal? When you put one through there isn't a single notification that tells you the car has already been claimed for the buyback. Isn't that kind of weird/scary?
What do you mean? Every car that has previous claim shows up correctly when you do a claim and get to the money part. This includes all 2014 Passats, 2015s, Gen 2 3.0s etc

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Really retire? Even if YOU get $1 mil (not you and your partners combined) after everything is said and done, you can hardly retire on that money. Unless you buy a business that will give you passive income - but you will still need to manage it

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
A bunch of good responses here.

I bought a 2014 A7 Prestige S-Line on Friday. Car has Everything but HUD and B&O stereo, 26K miles. KBB was $43.5K and I got it for $41.5K. Its in perfect condition and has factory warranty until 1/18, about the time we will know if the fix is in or not. The car has $11K on it from VW. Buyback would be in the $75-80K range. I think it's a safe bet on a great car. It will be 4 model years old, but even then I think I will be able to sell it easily for $35K...if I don't keep it!

The car came from A Mercedes dealership in Bellevue WA, Dealership said they were getting 5-10 calls a day on it and couldn't figure out why.

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
Really retire? Even if YOU get $1 mil (not you and your partners combined) after everything is said and done, you can hardly retire on that money. Unless you buy a business that will give you passive income - but you will still need to manage it
I'm the majority shareholder in the corporation, and at the current rate that we're buying cars, if a buyback occurs, I would clear a little above $1 million.

Add that to existing savings and I could retire in 5-7 years. I would probably buy some real estate in the neighborhood where I live, rent it, then sell when the prices have roughly doubled (housing market is nuts right now in Atlanta), and retire around age 33-35.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
We're betting on this also. We recently bought a 2014 Q7 Premium Plus with about 45k miles for ~$36k. There wasn't a previous claim, so even if a fix gets approved, we'll get $10k and only be in it ~$26k or so. We're betting we can easily sell that car for at least that much, but I guess you never know until it actually happens.
I have been looking at this spread also. I have been adding in about $4k in taxes plus $1k shipping, so my theory is if I can buy a 3 liter TDI for close to the current trade in value I can either make a few $ or break even. Which essentially is a relatively free car to drive for a few months or the rest of the year. AND if these Gen II are bought back it becomes a $70k-$80k grand slam.

Last edited:

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought a 2014 A7 Prestige S-Line on Friday. Car has Everything but HUD and B&O stereo, 26K miles. KBB was $43.5K and I got it for $41.5K. Its in perfect condition and has factory warranty until 1/18, about the time we will know if the fix is in or not. The car has $11K on it from VW. Buyback would be in the $75-80K range. I think it's a safe bet on a great car. It will be 4 model years old, but even then I think I will be able to sell it easily for $35K...if I don't keep it!
The car came from A Mercedes dealership in Bellevue WA, Dealership said they were getting 5-10 calls a day on it and couldn't figure out why.
I called on that one myself. Problem for me it could have been quite costly to ship from WA to NY.
There was a great deal on a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige in TX 10 days ago for $32k. I think I missed it by 24 hrs.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

I can only shake my head at the cluelessness of that dealer and of the owner before who sold it to them. Someone wrote recently that this was a time characterized by a citizenry exhibiting unprecedented ignorance mixed with unprecedented anger. I continue to see examples everywhere I look that this is true. Good luck with your purchases.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
I am just waiting patiently for the right car. I really love my 2012 Touareg that is going back in a few weeks so a Cayenne could be in my future.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I called on that one myself. Problem for me it could have been quite costly to ship from WA to NY.
There was a great deal on a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige in TX 10 days ago for $32k. I think I missed it by 24 hrs.
The area where this car came from is BIG money. Plus it was 4 hours from home for me. The car is absolutely perfect!

I can only shake my head at the cluelessness of that dealer and of the owner before who sold it to them. Someone wrote recently that this was a time characterized by a citizenry exhibiting unprecedented ignorance mixed with unprecedented anger. I continue to see examples everywhere I look that this is true. Good luck with your purchases.
Right, the person who traded this car in probably got $35K for it, plus left $10K on the table. The 14 Touareg I bought last month with 21K miles on it for $35K was probably worth $30K on trade in...and another $10K VW $ on it. Wealthy people are wealthy I guess and don't worry about $5-$10K.

Mxrado

TDI
Audi Q7 Cayenne
Any of you guys bought that 2013 Audi Q7 Prestige for #31,950 out of Marrieta, GA ? Ya beat me by one day!! Lol

I have a 2010 Q7 Prestige and waiting for the appointment (salvage title, they are taking their sweet time on these, because they have to look into it further, yada yada).

So I went ahead and bought a Porsche Cayenne Diesel 2014 in February. I was planning to keep, but the wife didn't quite like the fact it didn't have a third row. So now I'm looking into a Q7 again, and that 2013 Q7 was a perfect candidate...

Anyway, I will probably sell the Porsche Cayenne after I claim my first half of the settlement, if anyone is interested, I would let go for $38,500. Is in pristine shape, with Warranty until 3/2018. 75,000 miles and 22" wheels.;)

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
Any of you guys bought that 2013 Audi Q7 Prestige for #31,950 out of Marrieta, GA ? Ya beat me by one day!! Lol
I have a 2010 Q7 Prestige and waiting for the appointment (salvage title, they are taking their sweet time on these, because they have to look into it further, yada yada).
So I went ahead and bought a Porsche Cayenne Diesel 2014 in February. I was planning to keep, but the wife didn't quite like the fact it didn't have a third row. So now I'm looking into a Q7 again, and that 2013 Q7 was a perfect candidate...
Anyway, I will probably sell the Porsche Cayenne after I claim my first half of the settlement, if anyone is interested, I would let go for $38,500. Is in pristine shape, with Warranty until 3/2018. 75,000 miles and 22" wheels.;)
What options does the Cayenne have? Photos?
What is the VIN# so I can look the options up?

Last edited:

opsx

TDI
tdi
What do you mean? Every car that has previous claim shows up correctly when you do a claim and get to the money part. This includes all 2014 Passats, 2015s, Gen 2 3.0s etc
I dunno. Every time a Gen 1 3.0 pops up at a VW/Audi dealership I run the VIN through the system and it gives me a full amount estimate on the 15th step yet when I call the dealerships they will claim it was a buyback vehicle someone did a trade-in with (which means someone is already getting the full amount towards a new vehicle). That hasn't been your experience?

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
I called about it Friday just before they closed and picked it up Monday. Now that the Gen I cars are going back, there's a lot more money in the market again. Stuff will start going at lightning speed again just like with 2.0L and Gen I 3.0L. Gotta be quick and/or lucky.