Review of TDI-Tuning.com's CRTD4 box for MK7 Golf 2.0 TDI

Micah247

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, we never wanted you to lose all that for a $400 Tuning box.

It's very surprising for a tuning box to melt your dpf and chunk the turbo. Didn't think it would request that much fuel/fuel pressure.

Wish we knew what kind of EGT's and DPF temps it had been making before the failure.

Me too. I now have a EGT gauge.

I think it was the combo of the Sprint booster and the tuning box on a hot day in traffic for 2.5 hours. I don't think either on their own would have been a problem.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's a bummer. The op should send them his review of their product. Somehow I doubt it would find it's way into their website/advertising.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
From what I remember the Sprint booster is bullsh*t. All it does is affect TPS. Less pressing down of the pedal to get higher Throttle position sooner(0-100%). That's not going to make anything blow up.

It just placebos people into thinking they are going faster in the intermediate TPS positions, it would do nothing if you were always 0 or WOT.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not afraid to eat crow.

DPF melted, EGR cooler shot, turbo has metal pieces, white smoke and limp mode. $3k+ damage.

Ahhhh common, you gotta post pics!

BTW good of you to come back and report.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
And that is the reason I'll wait until I had the Phase 2 done before I get the Malone tune Stage 2 and DSG.
No fooling around with a tuning box in the meantime.

Micah247

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I've had the car back for a few days now everything seems to be running well.

I installed my P3 multi gauge. I'm monitoring the exhaust gas temperatures.

Does anyone know what my maximum EGT should be? On the highway I'm around 750°F cruising. If I click to sport mode and step on the gas to pass, it shoots up to 1050°F. A little while ago I stepped on the gas and the EGT shut up to 1150°F when I let off the throttle it peaked at 1280°F! No matter how slow I drove it wouldn't come below 1130°F until I pulled in the driveway and popped the hood open. Then it immediately dropped back down to normal around 650°F

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The ECU has provisions in it to limit and reduce power based on exhaust temperature, assuming a tuning box isn't used to manipulate the values. 1300F is pretty normal, limiter will kick in around 1500. The ceramic internals are rated for roughly 1650F sustained, which means they would have to get towards that temperature in order to fail but spiking to that value during a hard pull wouldn't cause them to blow up.

Your temps sound normal, wouldn't be too worried about it. Sounds like the car was doing a regen, which will result in those kinds of temps at light loads. When you see those high temps pop up out of the blue it means the car is doing a regen, if you can, it's best to let the process complete itself. I've seen 1500 or so out of sprinter vans, completely stock and working correctly, and that's without loading it up with 10 passengers.

Last edited: