ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Forgive my lack of EXACT figures

The trust is small-ish

And they add to it as funds are drown down

In the case of a BK

... good bye NEW funding:(

I'm I wrong:confused:
Here's the court document answer:
The Settlement adequately and fairly compensates Class Members. The Settlement requires Volkswagen to establish a Funding Pool in the amount of $10.033 billion. (Dkt. No. 1685 ¶ 2.42.) This amount presumes 100% Buyback of all purchased Eligible Vehicles and 100% Lease Termination of all leased Eligible Vehicles.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Here's the court document answer:

The Settlement adequately and fairly compensates Class Members.

The Settlement requires Volkswagen to establish a Funding Pool in the amount of $10.033 billion.

(Dkt. No. 1685 ¶ 2.42.) This amount presumes 100% Buyback of all purchased Eligible Vehicles and 100% Lease Termination of all leased Eligible Vehicles.
And in the small print:p Minimum escrow funding is 'bout 7.5 % ????

~~~ The initial Funding Amount shall be $1,500,000,000. If and when the funding level of the Escrow Account reaches the “Minimum Balance,” which shall initially be set at $1,250,000,000, the Escrow Agent shall alert Defendant, and Defendant shall,

within 7 business days, deposit such funds in the Escrow Account as are necessary to bring the balance back to the Funding Amount

F. Every 6 months after the Escrow Account is first funded, the Funding Amount shall be adjusted to the lower of (i) the initial amount of $1,500,000,000 or (ii) 25% of the amount of the total Funding Pool that has not yet been spent, as verified by the Claims Supervisor.

In the event that the Funding Amount is adjusted, the minimum balance shall be adjusted proportionately. For example, if the Funding Amount is adjusted to $900,000,000, the Minimum Balance shall be adjusted to $750,000,000. ~~~

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My point, sure you can tow with EV, but if you can't get anywhere due to the range sucking, what good is it? Someday the technology will get there, but it is not there today. Also the electricity to charge all the EV has to come from some where. We are lucky here in the NW, our power comes from clean Hydro. But in other areas of the country, if you have to burn more hydrocarbons to generate all the extra power to charge all the EV's, are we any farther ahead with pollution going into the air? I don't have the answer.
Let's be honest here, some of your power comes from clean hydro and some comes from exported pollution from generators in eastern Montana. :eek:

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Took delivery of our 2015 Golf Sport wagon yesterday--13,750 miles on the odometer. Love it! Great power, smooth and quiet. According to the computer, we got 60.8 mpg on our trip back from Atlanta. Mostly running 65 mph. I realize that is most likely and over estimate and I plan on refueling and calculating the mileage. Even if the computer is off by 10%, I'm still getting mid 50's--better than a hybrid!

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Welcome to the Club.

Well over 50Mpg is easy at under 75Mph on a warmer day.

Figure out what you want to do for maintenance cycle.

I suggest "resetting" the cycle @ 20K, to get back on schedule :)

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
The car received the 20K service at about 13723 before it was offered up for sale. I intend to have the car serviced at 20K to get it back on the recommended schedule. My son was interested in my 2004 Jetta TDI wagon until he drove our 2015 GSW--now he may not want our 04.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Took delivery of our 2015 Golf Sport wagon yesterday--13,750 miles on the odometer. Love it! Great power, smooth and quiet. According to the computer, we got 60.8 mpg on our trip back from Atlanta. Mostly running 65 mph. I realize that is most likely and over estimate and I plan on refueling and calculating the mileage. Even if the computer is off by 10%, I'm still getting mid 50's--better than a hybrid!
I've recorded by best tank even on the JSW taking I-26 to Columbia and then I-77 back to Charlotte from Atlanta. It was around 52 (IIRC). Typical tanks for me are around 40. Must be something magical about fleeing Atlanta!

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
what do y'all think the inventory will be like over the next 3-5 months for used GSW tdi? part of me says - "wait for the holidays" and part of me says "get one before they're all gone"

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Trip computer was not very accurate. Actual MPG for my first tank was 52.9--still awesome, but not 60.8! Was hoping the trip computer was more accurate.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I'd say inventory will stay flat, short to mid term. All the die hards have satisfied their asks.

In general, used car market will probably go through a big correction. But, TDIs are a special breed.

unique_name

TDI
2012 jetta 6sp (sold back with 151k miles) 2015 jetta sel 6sp (purchased with 15k miles)
I am tempted to find me a 2015 Passat TDI to replace my 2010 Jetta TDI. The fact that it is bigger, newer, less miles, and less wear and tear on the vehicle make me want one bad. It would cost me about $7k-$10k if I sold my Jetta back, but it is tempting.

When I factor in I need to do my timing belt, brakes are due soon, and DSG next 10k miles, it could save me some $$. On the other hand my Jetta TDI has never given me mechanical issues. My ignition switch did just go out, but it's fixed now. It's nice knowing how our car was treated, but a newer car does sound nice.

i just pulled the trigger on a swap of a 2012 jetta for a 2015 jetta. i really didn't WANT to but fiscally it was silly not to. for a little over 9K I got into a CPO car 3 years newer with 15K miles from a car with 151K+. i still have the balance of the new car warranty then the CPO warranty kicks in and on top of that the VW extended emissions warranty. a diesel with 15k that comes with an 11 warranty for 9K? how do i not take it? like some else posted here "its like we won a car lottery"

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
I don't have an educated opinion but that doesn't seem to stop anyone so ...

Seems price point for 2015 TDI Jetta inventory (that's what I'm researching) varies greatly by geographic region. Out here in the PNW they're $20K. In the south, about $17k. My internal debate (which I was hoping to hash out here once I filtered through the sidebar of Sirius Radio)is whether I jump up from my 2012 Jetta TDI (6M) to a '15. It makes sense to me to drop my vehicle miles in half, get a newer vehicle, a serious warranty to go with, and perhaps some mechanical upgrades (engine improvement, backup camera etc) without having to go into my own pocket (BB).

Really appreciate those of you who have provided feedback on this very thing as you have waded through your own similar jaunt.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
I don't have an educated opinion but that doesn't seem to stop anyone so ...

Seems price point for 2015 TDI Jetta inventory (that's what I'm researching) varies greatly by geographic region. Out here in the PNW they're $20K. In the south, about $17k. My internal debate (which I was hoping to hash out here once I filtered through the sidebar of Sirius Radio)is whether I jump up from my 2012 Jetta TDI (6M) to a '15. It makes sense to me to drop my vehicle miles in half, get a newer vehicle, a serious warranty to go with, and perhaps some mechanical upgrades (engine improvement, backup camera etc) without having to go into my own pocket (BB).

Really appreciate those of you who have provided feedback on this very thing as you have waded through your own similar jaunt.
i'd strongly agree that it makes sense to take advantage and grab one. i just put a deposit down on a '15 GSW SE w/ under 7k miles - $20k out the door for a pristine, basically new TDI?
almost can't believe my luck, really.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
For relatively high mileage cars, the swap makes a lot of sense. There seem to be some sweet spot owners that can almost do a straight trade, $-wise, and get a newer, lower mileage TDI. And I think that's easier to do with Jetta sedans because there seems to be larger inventory out there compared to sportswagens. For me, I have 2011 JSW with 48k miles and so far I'd have to spend an additional ~$3000 to get a 2015 GSW with low miles. Now that the Gen 1 fix is out, keeping my car plus restitution money is pretty attractive.

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
i'd strongly agree that it makes sense to take advantage and grab one. i just put a deposit down on a '15 GSW SE w/ under 7k miles - $20k out the door for a pristine, basically new TDI?
almost can't believe my luck, really.
The real question (for me) is one of supply and demand. What happens to the retail market price if/when all the stop-sale TDIs release into the market? Price drop? Or will demand keep up?

I just looked at my 2012 offer sheet and I paid $22,157 out the door and I'm not all that excited to pay 20k for a three year old car (though I've not seen one yet with under 10,000 miles so that might cause a different level of tumescence) ... of course technically it's not MY $20k.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Which are you thinking of? The only new cars that were stop-saled were the 2015's, and those were released months ago. Used sales were never prohibited, although VW chose to not offer as Certified Pre Owned . . . Fixed used/turn-in 2015's have also been for sale for at least a month.

?????

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
Which are you thinking of? The only new cars that were stop-saled were the 2015's, and those were released months ago. Used sales were never prohibited, although VW chose to not offer as Certified Pre Owned . . . Fixed used/turn-in 2015's have also been for sale for at least a month.

?????
I was basing my POV on this from Car and Driver:
"What diesels can’t I buy? Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche dealers can’t sell any new diesels, except for certain 2015 models sold as new. They also cannot sell most used and certified pre-owned diesels. Volkswagen has since committed to electric cars, and it’s possible the company will not sell a TDI diesel in the U.S. ever again."

But if I understand your post correctly there's nothing to wait for. There are no other new 2015 TDIs as they've already been released and resold and what remains are turn-in vehicles from 2015. Is that correct?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are still some new 2015s out there. You have to willing to travel to get what you want. According to Cars.com, there are still over 900 new 2015s in the US.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I doubt that's an accurate number. A friend of mine has called dealers on several listings on cars.com and all of the cars had been previously sold. My own GSW was up there for a few weeks after I took delivery.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
There are still some new 2015s out there. You have to willing to travel to get what you want. According to Cars.com, there are still over 900 new 2015s in the US.

.... starting to get thinner and thinner on choice(s)

.... as there are so many different models and trim levels, not to mention colors & trans.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I was basing my POV on this from Car and Driver:
"What diesels can’t I buy? Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche dealers can’t sell any new diesels, except for certain 2015 models sold as new. They also cannot sell most used and certified pre-owned diesels. Volkswagen has since committed to electric cars, and it’s possible the company will not sell a TDI diesel in the U.S. ever again."

But if I understand your post correctly there's nothing to wait for. There are no other new 2015 TDIs as they've already been released and resold and what remains are turn-in vehicles from 2015. Is that correct?
That is not exactly correct. Only CPO used from a dealer were restricted if not new. *Any* dealer could sell non-CPO used. As to the new 15's, yeah, all were released in April, IIRC (we bought one - had a hard time finding what my wife wanted 4 weeks or so out . . ), and fixed CPO used a month or so later. Not sure how many '14s and older new are still out there (but I'd bet not many). What there should be plenty of are used CPO 15's . . . Fix and CPO resale of older cars than 15's is about all that has not begun, more due to part supply issues than legalities (need to fix thenones on the road first while parts are limited). Then we have to wait to see what/if VW decides to sell in the older cars, but if they do, I'd think that would start by year end (but don't quote me on that . . . :) ).

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So I'm looking for a 2015 Passat SEL (or Premium)

What would I be expected to pay on a 2015 SEL (or Premium) with about 25k miles?

I've found some around $20-$25k, but the $25k seems like a lot and realistically, out of my budget. I really don't want to spend more than $18k, but I could do $20k. I just might not get a Premium, I'm assuming.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

What would I be expected to pay on a 2015 SEL (or Premium) with about 25k miles?

I've found some around $20-$25k, but the $25k seems like a lot and realistically, out of my budget. I really don't want to spend more than $18k, but I could do $20k. I just might not get a Premium, I'm assuming.
Supply and demand......good luck in your search.....based on what VW is paying on a buyback makes no sense to sell a Passat for 18K when VW will pay them 25K

Leeshepard

TDI
2015 a3

I recently bought a 2015 A3 with almost every option with 10k miles for $26k from a dealer; who bought the car at auction. They took my offer immediately and I feel I could have done a little better. You should be able to do much better on a Passat with 25k miles. I think dealers are asking crazy money and they might be willing to sell for much less. It would be great if somebody had access to Mannheim and could find out how much dealers are paying at auction.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Funny.. I just saw a 2015 passat se manual 6mt with sun roof. 50,000 miles.(just what I wanted ) for 14,500.00..sent a email to them and guess what.......it just sold 10 minutes ago!..( yea right).It was exactly what I am looking for...b.s sales add I guess...lady wants me to call her...it is a VW dealership though..

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Just saw a 2015 passat se manual (6mt) with sunroof..50,000 miles for sale for 14500.00! I responded and got an email back .. "it sold 10 minutes ago!.. Yea? right... anyway it is a VW dealership.. I'm still looking though.. she's going to check what else there is..anybody see others for sale... for real??..sorry kinda a double post

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Just saw a 2015 passat se manual (6mt) with sunroof..50,000 miles for sale for 14500.00! I responded and got an email back .. "it sold 10 minutes ago!.. Yea? right... anyway it is a VW dealership.. I'm still looking though.. she's going to check what else there is..anybody see others for sale... for real??..sorry kinda a double post
Stick shift Passats were not available with a Sunroof! so if it had a Sunroof it was an aftermarket install.....and would you want that? I call BS on this Dealer....:rolleyes:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Stick shift Passats were not available with a Sunroof! so if it had a Sunroof it was an aftermarket install.....and would you want that? I call BS on this Dealer....:rolleyes:
Thanks for the heads up!well my bad.. it is a Jetta!...sorry about that.. don't know how I missed that.. been looking like crazy at alot of cars...still 14500.00 is unreal also for this car..isn't it?