Starter issue, possible Bendix not retracting

dkfx

TDI
2010 sportwagen 6speed
Hey guys! This is my first post on the forum and hoping everyone could help me out!
I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen 6speed, in which the starter just went out.
I pulled out the starter and replaced it with a VALEO 19483 that I ordered online. Everywhere says it's should fit, and I believe it does, though it does have 12 teeth opposed to the 11 that came out of it (bosch). When I start the car, it's starting the car just fine, but there is a horrible metal on metal sound once the car is running. It sounds like the Bendix is not retracticing and it's just staying in the flywheel.
I wasn't sure if there was a starter relay, or the ignition switch controlled this, but I"m trying to get her back on the road.
The old starter that I pulled out appears to have had the exact same issue, and has since ground down the starter bendix (check the pic).
Here's a video that shows the audio clip of the new starter firing :
https://goo.gl/photos/aMfDw5XsWGDcrFbt8
here's a picture of the old starter (right) vs the new starter (left)

I also thought maybe the flywheel is causing this issue, but the flywheel looks fine to me :

Does anyone know what might be causing the starter not to retract once it's started the engine? It's a brand new starter so not sure if it's bad, but since the previous starter was worn down in this fasion i'm assuming something else is controlling the bendix from returning to the factory position, and this piece has malfunctioned.
Does the 2010 jetta tdi sportwagen use a starter relay or does the ignition switch control this?
ECS Tuning has an ignition switch for a few bucks, but I just wanted to make sure before I just threw money at it. Thanks in advance!!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/ignition-starter-switch/1k0905849b/

dkfx

TDI
2010 sportwagen 6speed
any ideas guys?

I called VW and they said the NEW starter has 12 teeth, so shouldn't be an issue...the grinding is really loud and something clearly isn't right. I could really use some help!

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Were there shims that go between the starter and bell housing?

Donald