What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Vacuumed and installed new rubber OEM VW Monster Matts. Subtle but nice upgrade over the ratty carpet floor matts.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
In the process of installing new OEM front splash guards, I decided to look behind the wheel well liners. Woah! I was expecting a bird to fly out of the leaves and dirt collected behind the liners. Washed all the dirt out from behind the wheel well liners and let it dry out. Fortunately no rust.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
After 13 months of laying here; finally installed the FK streetline set, new ball joints, strut mounts & bushings.... so far so good. No more KONI HAWAII!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
In the process of installing new OEM front splash guards, I decided to look behind the wheel well liners. Woah! I was expecting a bird to fly out of the leaves and dirt collected behind the liners. Washed all the dirt out from behind the wheel well liners and let it dry out. Fortunately no rust.
Yea, it's too bad manufacturers don't point out these things in the owners manual. The debris will eventually eat the end of the rocker panel, hard to repair, then there's the fender.
Top Tip (I never knew this til recently) is to leave out the bottom fastener, making it easy to clean. When you install the new ones, leave the screw in for maybe 6 months, then remove it.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, it's too bad manufacturers don't point out these things in the owners manual. The debris will eventually eat the end of the rocker panel, hard to repair, then there's the fender.
Top Tip (I never knew this til recently) is to leave out the bottom fastener, making it easy to clean. When you install the new ones, leave the screw in for maybe 6 months, then remove it.

Yeah, I was surprised. It was a potential rust situation waiting to happen. I was relieved to see no sign of rust behind the muck.

Good tip regarding the lower screw. I was thinking that I could periodically remove the lower three screws enough to flush it out, without removing the upper splash guard clip.

I still want to use the splash guards to keep spray off the body.

TDI
02 Beetle 1.9 ALH
I cussed at the plastic clip holding the coolant temp sensor in place... Then slung the spring hose clamp the connects the air intake tube to the air filter housing across the yard... Its somewhere out there, I guess Ill find it when I cut the grass next time... Ugh..... German engineering.... Why couldnt they have used a thread in coolant temperature sensor like every other smart auto manufacturer in the world..... oh wait, then someone would forget to put antisieze on it, and Id be cussing and complaining that its siezed in the block, and saying why didnt they use a clip/o-ring sensor mount like VW....

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Cleaned MAF...

I cleaned both MAF’s using CRC MAF Cleaner. Definite improvements noted on how the cars run. Improved power delivery and smoother shifts.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
More like a “what did they do to your MKIV today?” post:

Hopefully, they didn’t take my VAGCOM cable in the glove box. They broke the handle and I can’t open it. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
More like a “what did they do to your MKIV today?”
Hopefully, they didn’t take my VAGCOM cable in the glove box. They broke the handle and I can’t open it. Ugh

Ouch. Sorry to see that man.
You can probably reach in where the handle was, there is two fingers that need to be pressed downwards.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Ouch. Sorry to see that man.

You can probably reach in where the handle was, there is two fingers that need to be pressed downwards.

Thanks. I was looking for info on how to open it but i hadn’t found something specific to the handle being broken off.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Began the process of installing E-Code headlights with glass lenses, from Midwest Lighting.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
More like a “what did they do to your MKIV today?”
I now have a double-DIN Monsoon radio that I'm no longer using. I upgraded -- but I suppose that's what you'll do now too.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Woah, so what failed? And is your block done for?

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Woah, so what failed? And is your block done for?

Bought the car with seized engine, I am not taking a chance on the block and lower end, have another ALH to swap in.

Story is guy was merging on highway and it just stopped, I think the turbo had been shot for awhile, there is oil everywhere.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
More like a “what did they do to your MKIV today?” post:

If the handle is still there, push it back in like it used to be and actuate it and it'll open. Or push in and unlock the lock, then open.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I was able to open it! My VAGCOM cable was still there! phew. Now, fix the wiring they messed up and save up for a worthwhile radio. Thanks guys!

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the E-code headlights, European switch and ECS fog light wiring harness following their instructions exactly. I’m plugged into pin 8 on the Euro switch and plug 2 at the lights. First test, the headlights work, turn signals work but for some reason I can’t get the fog lights nor city lights to work. I’m stumped.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I installed the E-code headlights, European switch and ECS fog light wiring harness following their instructions exactly. I’m plugged into pin 8 on the Euro switch and plug 2 at the lights. First test, the headlights work, turn signals work but for some reason I can’t get the fog lights nor city lights to work. I’m stumped.
See if this helps, especially the last post.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=499509

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
Busy weekend: OEM nav installed, replaced for broken parts, installed vent fender liner, more air flow through the intercooler..

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The boy and I put a new n90 solenoid in his 09a. Reverse now works when it's cold. Tested it this morning.

Pretty sure the really black fluid was original, since I had to break the security plug deal. And after 232K it was ~1 qt low on it's "lifetime" fluid. And stinky... oh my.:)

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
Direct replacement, from ID PARTS 58 shipped was it stalled in this..

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I modified the tweezers of a Leatherman Micra tool, to work as a wire-pin connector removal tool, and swapped wire locations on the Euro Switch, to resolve my fog light issue. Unsuccessfully, swapping pins didn’t fix the problem. About to give up, I decided to just check the bulbs... turns out the lights had all bulbs included and installed EXCEPT for the fog light bulbs. Quick run to the autozone for some H3 bulbs... we have fog lights! Pin 8 works for first pull on the Euro switch.

Next piece of the puzzle: How do I get the city lights to illuminate? Run power from the side marker lights?

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I modified the tweezers of a Leatherman Micra tool, to work as a wire-pin connector removal tool, and swapped wire locations on the Euro Switch, to resolve my fog light issue. Unsuccessfully, swapping pins didn’t fix the problem. About to give up, I decided to just check the bulbs... turns out the lights had all bulbs included and installed EXCEPT for the fog light bulbs. Quick run to the autozone for some H3 bulbs... we have fog lights! Pin 8 works for first pull on the Euro switch.

Next piece of the puzzle: How do I get the city lights to illuminate? Run power from the side marker lights?

My city lights illuminate when the Euro switch is turned to the first position and also stay on when the switch is turned to the second (headlight) position. Check to make sure the bulbs are seated firmly; if they are LED bulbs, make sure the polarity is correct as you have a 50/50 chance the bulb was installed the wrong way.

Edit. Pin 5 labeled "58D" is the Parking (US)/City (Eur) light connection IIRC.

Last edited:

kidflyr

"Behind the Redwood Curtain" Boulder Creek, CA
TDI
2003 Golf ALH
Got around to the five brake light mod on the golf, and added some dynamat-style sound deadening to the hatch. Noticed that the high mount brake light seems aimed low, as there seems to be a sharp cutoff just below the height of the brake light. I'm going to have to investigate further.

Started on replacing the door lock actuator on the beetle and entered window regulator hell, fractured plastic, unruly cables, and the need for more hands than available. Also the neighbor cat who likes to "supervise" any car work brushed up against all the freshly silicone greased connectors, leaving them felted with cat fur, so the animals and myself took the afternoon off. Cat managed to stay clean somehow.