00 beetle little to no heat

stang66007

Veteran Member
TDI
03 wagen, 09 sedan and JSW, 5spds
engine runs at operating temp but changed t-stat anyways. no change. I have little to no heat coming out off the vents. 130K on car. Do they have problems with the blend doors on these?

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
There is a cable that connects the knob to the blend door. If the cable anchor at either end has come loose, then the blend door won't change position when the knob is turned.

-Rich

OH: Has the sound deadening in these been blocking things up?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If Rich is correct, it is a PITA to access those controls. May/June/July of '09, I did a write-up how to access the heater control system..... do a search and find it. Also, others have written some pretty good stuff on this issue!

stang66007

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked under the dash & the cable seems to be moving the door both ways. I do have foam in the vents. It seems to blow out defrost, vents, and floor at same time.
AndyBees, I haven't found the writeup yet, but will keep looking.

I decided to try adjusting the cable a little also.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have never seen anyone else carry the HVAC case. They are not that expensive on some cars, depending on if it is all one piece with the blower case or not. If it is all one piece, it costs more.

gt

Veteran Member
Is it a manual or auto/tr.?

Manuals have 3 heater plugs on the end of the head. Auto/tr. cars don't use them. Could be bad relay or plugs, They are bigger than glow plugs that start the eng.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Manuals have 3 heater plugs on the end of the head. Auto/tr. cars don't use them. Could be bad relay or plugs, They are bigger than glow plugs that start the eng.
This is correct information, but I do not think they will make a difference in this case.

It sounds as if he needs to replace the blend door foam. The doors are simply latticework and once the foam is destroyed, you cannot properly control the heat and AC.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you can pull most of the dash, leaving the main part of it in place, unbolted, so it can be shifted...then you can remove the front defrost/floor duct...from there you have just enough room to access both blend doors and glue something to them.....I just did this job on a NB and it was a PITA!!...but I did not have to dump coolant or evac the AC system...I measured the blend doors carefully, cut some vinyl to fit and glued it vinyl side to the doors (fabric back out) ....my arms and hands were covered in glue but the end result was cook you out heat :)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
let me also add that another way to diagnose this (besides no heat) is that the blend doors will make a distinct metallic ring (blend doors are constructed of galvanized swiss cheese) ;) when they reach the stop in either direction...after they are successfully recovered it dampens the sound

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
you can pull most of the dash, leaving the main part of it in place, unbolted, so it can be shifted...then you can remove the front defrost/floor duct...from there you have just enough room to access both blend doors and glue something to them.....I just did this job on a NB and it was a PITA!!...but I did not have to dump coolant or evac the AC system...I measured the blend doors carefully, cut some vinyl to fit and glued it vinyl side to the doors (fabric back out) ....my arms and hands were covered in glue but the end result was cook you out heat :)

And this is the same sort of story I have heard from several people who have done the job. SteveKris, Richard55...Richard55 was working on a HOW-TO, but got sidetracked when an inner tie rod fell off...

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, some folks have had good luck fixing them. I have never been brave enough to try that myself.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have been thankful that I have not had to do this yet.

I help a lot of folks do a lot of things, but I would just say "Here's the shop, here's the tools" and stand back on this one.

There are limits to my community service. And a common limit is "I need to take my dash apart to..." I get really blind and deaf, and can never see or hear the remainder of the sentence.

oilhammer

TDI
These instrument panels are really not bad to tear into, you should see this Gran Prix we just had apart... yikes! :eek:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Looks like I may be burrowing through the NB's dash come spring. About a month ago, the heat decided to be on full blast regardless of the temperature dial position. Sucks that I'll have to do this, but at least it stuck on in the appropriate temperature position for this time of year!

When I get around to it, I'll try to document the process, my findings & repair info.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
These instrument panels are really not bad to tear into, you should see this Gran Prix we just had apart... yikes! :eek:
Hah!!...surely you speak only of the jetta/golf...(ive had plenty of those apart) ...the beetle is an absolute nightmare....wish I had taken pictures:rolleyes: ... there was a pile in the hatch area, a pile on top of the car, a pile on to the passenger side of the car, and a pile to the drivers side, all interior bits and pieces...both front floorboards were full of screws and other smaller bits....I'll wager there are at least three times as many screws and interior pieces to remove in a beetle as in a golf/jetta....I think Erno Rubik designed the friggin' interior on these :eek:

oilhammer

TDI
The NB is still easy to take apart. So what if there are 100 screws, if they are all easy to get to. Just time consuming, that's all.

I think the hardest thing about dealing with the dash/intruments/interior is the driver's airbag clips. They either seem to come right out right away or give me a fit for 20 minutes. :p

Rest of the interior is super easy.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
The NB is still easy to take apart. So what if there are 100 screws, if they are all easy to get to. Just time consuming, that's all.

I think the hardest thing about dealing with the dash/intruments/interior is the driver's airbag clips. They either seem to come right out right away or give me a fit for 20 minutes. :p

Rest of the interior is super easy.
Ditto on the airbag clips...same experience here...I actually gave up the air bag clips on this one.. thats why the main portion of the dash stayed in place:D ....but hey choose your own poison...I think the jettas/golfs are a breeze....mo' powa' tooya' if you like gutting a newbeat:)

oilhammer

TDI
Oh the G/J absolutely takes less time, no doubt. I just do not think the NB is any more 'difficult', just takes more time. Same for removal of the lock carrier, or cabin filter, etc.

I just think that given the fact that VAG had decided to base the NB on an existing [A4 Golf] platform, they did a pretty good job of hiding it under the skin while keeping it serviceable.

Ever done a "lower-GI" on a Northstar engine? :p Now THAT is fun!

Subymaster81

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I was going to post on this same subject today. I have the same issue on my 2001 Jetta. All the doors seem to be moving to their full stops, and they are making a mettalic sound when they hit the end. Looks like I will be taering into the dash :( I have to do other work first though.

stang66007

Veteran Member
TDI
started removing dash last night. Worked on it for about 2 hrs and everything is going good but something is holding me up on the driver's side. Dash is loose but will only pull back a inch or two on drivers side.

stang66007

Veteran Member
TDI
Did what jimbote said and repaired the two doors farthest in with .002 shim metal and 3M weatherstrip glue. Got great heat. Now I still move the knob to defrost and still blows out of the vents and floor at the same time. Do I need to cover the first I seen inside the box? The job was more time than hard. I took a few pictures with my phone too.
Thanks for the help everyone!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Did what jimbote said and repaired the two doors farthest in with .002 shim metal and 3M weatherstrip glue. Got great heat. Now I still move the knob to defrost and still blows out of the vents and floor at the same time. Do I need to cover the first I seen inside the box? The job was more time than hard. I took a few pictures with my phone too.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Yikes:eek: ...yes you need to cover both doors...hope it's not all back together....the one you covered is actually just a single door that's bent into a 45