ARP Head Studs

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If I drove that route at that speed now I would get at least 50 MPG, maybe 52. In the city I typically get 48 if I don't flog the car. So perhaps this mod's effectiveness depends on difference between the condition of the existing studs and the new ones. Are the current studs stretch type? Could they simply be re-torqued?

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
u dont have studs oem u have bolts, and its the first thing we usually change on gassers that start make some power. its only logical that they have to be changed tho. alot of people are making close to double the oem power of these cars.

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I know OEM headbolts are the stretch type and need to be replaced everytime. Can the APR ones be used multiple times? If I want to put them in now but later this year remove the head, do I have to but new bolts?

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
well we took of the head many times on my friends car. and we never replaced the studs so i dont think u would need to

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The studs are reusable. The stock stretch bolts are not.
I don't thing it would hurt anything to retorque the studs, but it should not be needed if you are just replacing the stock bolts.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Yep. Nolimit is where I got mine last year, but back then they were charging 109.52 as well. They have since raised the price significantly.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I did an extensive search last week (google, yahoo, & altavista) and Summit was the cheapest. I don't know if import racer was one of the ones that came up or not. Maybe they just lowered it? Either way, I just ordered 10 sets for $110 each from Summit, so only a $5 difference :)

Now to organize a GTG to install them all.

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
man i hate u guys so much lol, everytime i think its over and i wont be spending anymore money u suck me back in when i least expect it

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
just ordered mine from summit.... $114+9.50 shipping...

It seems summit is the best cause they get high volume..

I hope i get em by end of next week

Fez

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Golf TDI 1.9 GL
just emailed a known company called kenycams here in the uk, the guy said

"please note the cylinder head needs to come off and the bolts be fitted together with a new head gasket and not replaced one by one."

new head gasket:eek: , is he tring to rob me?:)

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Well I understand the guys mentallity, do it right and start fresh which would make sense if you replaced them with VW bolts.

Considering the force that is required from ARP to tq down and if your head gasket was in good shape it begin with I don't see the problem with doing it one at a time. You technically are compressing the headgasket even more then before so there should be no danger in hurting it.

I mean I can see why he would want to do it that way but I can't see why the other way isn't just as good.

My question is this wouldn't applying different tq values to the head one at a time tend to warp it. Should they all just come out and then put the new ones in?

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Thermo1223 said:
My question is this wouldn't applying different tq values to the head one at a time tend to warp it. Should they all just come out and then put the new ones in?
I'll be doing this eventually; everything I have ever read about doing cylinderhead work tells me that doing the studs one at time is a bad idea. The possibility of head warpage compared to a little extra time to do them all at once doesn't seem worth it to me, just my .02$

-B

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
I would think that if you replace them one at a time following the torquing sequence in the bentley you are effectively doing the same thing as doing them all at once. Pulling the head in just a scootch tighter from where it was with the stock bolts.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Just changed my headstuds one by one. The one by the EGR is a pita, since I was too lazy to remove the EGR, lol.

Wow, the force needed to loosen the stock bolts is insane! However, the thead pitch for the threads they use is steeper, so less pressure applied to the gasket. The ARP nut thread pitch is narrower so 80 ft lbs from that is much more clamping force.

The question is, I coated both sides of the studs with moly but later on I heard on some DSM Eclipse forum that the studs can come out cause of the moly???? There are conflicting opinions on this, but I'd like to hear if any of you had an opinion about this.

I can't tell a difference in terms of WOT smoke, still a medium haze. Mileage=unknown so far.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
robnitro said:
The question is, I coated both sides of the studs with moly but later on I heard on some DSM Eclipse forum that the studs can come out cause of the moly???? There are conflicting opinions on this, but I'd like to hear if any of you had an opinion about this.
I used the grease that Summit shipped with the headstuds. I dunno if it's moly, but it's silver stuff.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Mahoutsukai said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
9. Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
10. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
11. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
12. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]10. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
13. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]14. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
15. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]16. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]17. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to the final 80lbs.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Where did you find this installation procedure? It seems like it would provide very consistent/complete gasket compression, but I am a little puzzled as the ARP instructions don't mention the 4 times to 70 lb/ft before a final torque to 80. TIA!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
oldpoopie said:
http://www.arp-fasteners.com/Tech/TechInstall.html
More specifically, the friction section... http://www.arp-fasteners.com/Tech/T1_InstallPages/T1_02_RodBoltStretch3.html
Its all in their website. Just have to dig a little. Read the tech data thouroughly on the site. Its worth it. Especially if your spending $$ on high quality fasteners, you should know how to tighten them properly.
Thanks for the links, I was going to do it the way Mahoutsukai posted up anyway, but was curious as to the where whys and hows. Torque wrench workout this weekend!