ARP Head Studs

matiii1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black
Anyone installed these on their TDI and what torque values did you use,the ones that came in the box or the torque specs from the repair manual.Only reason I ask is these things where made for the Ford Cosworth engine ,not a VW.Thanks.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
I used the ones in the box.

I'm sure the repair manual values are for stretch bolts and therefore not applicable with the ARP bolts.

matiii1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black
Yeah it looks like stock are stretch bolts with total torque is 44 lb +1/2 turn more.The studs final torque value is aroun 80-86 lb.I thought that might be to high compared to stock,but I guess since there different types of fasteners thats right...

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
matiii1 said:
Anyone installed these on their TDI and what torque values did you use,the ones that came in the box or the torque specs from the repair manual.Only reason I ask is these things where made for the Ford Cosworth engine ,not a VW.Thanks.
I've installed over 4 sets of ARP headstuds the A4 TDIs.

Before this mod I was getting about 44MPG freeway on my 2002 Jetta TDI (Upsolute StageII/Upsolute FMIC/Sprint 520).
On my car with 85K miles, driving an indicated 75MPH on a non-altitude changing, relatively straight freeway I get 53.3MPG after doing this modification. I get 43MPG in the city.

Steps for proper ARP installation on the A4 TDI:
1. Unpack and clean with alcohol all the parts (gets the sticky packing grease off of them)
2. Prepare all of the bolts before starting by covering them all with the included ARP installation grease that is included. Basically, get it in all of the threads and cover all the washers, and bolts so that they look "grease grey" all over. On the nuts use a q-tip to make the threads on the inside grey with the ARP grease.
3. Remove your plastic engine cover, and crank case cover.
4. You'll need a from [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Part MN0812 - 12 Point Driver Set [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]from metalnerd.com or a similar [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]12 mm,12 point driver to remove the factory headstuds.
(NOTE: If you are going to use the metalnerd tool, it is long and will require you remove your EGR to get the one of the headstuds out. If you're removing the EGR, then this is a great time to cleaning out your intake and install an elephant hose, or CCV catch can and an Epsilonian device.)
5. Remove the 1st headstud. You will need a breaker bar, and it comes off with a scary "snap" sound.
6. Put your the first prepared ARP headstud in (allen wrench side up) and use an allen wrench to tighten it all the way down. Don't over tighten, just a little past snug.
7. Put the prepared washer and nut on the headstud and tighten it down Using a torque wrench and bring it to 65lbs. (ARP instructions on their website say to tighten, to something less than final torque, 5 times before final toque to seat the fastener correctly. Continue following these instructions to see how this is done)
8. Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench (NEVER USE YOUR TORQUE WRENCH TO LOOSEN ANYTHING YOU'LL DESTROY IT!)
9. Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
10. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
11. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
12. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]10. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
13. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]14. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
15. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to 70lbs.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]16. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loosen it completely using a normal socket wrench.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]17. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use the torque wrench to tighten to the final 80lbs.
18. Hooray! You've installed your first headstud, now just repeat steps #5-17 over and over again until you're done.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Wow! sounds like quite a workout! Where are you getting them from?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I used racewares. If I were to do it again, however, I would use the ARP ones. The Racewares don't have the nifty indent in the tip that allows you to use a tool to insert them like the ARP do. That makes the RW somewhat of a PITA.

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
TDIPASSATGUY said:
How on earth does the type of head stud/bolt effect fuel consumption as Mah... suggests?
Apparently the top-end and bottom end don't seat together as well with the stock headstuds once you do any power increasing modifications to the car .
It's been suggested that the headgasket gets pinhole leaks that account for lost fuel efficiency with the stock headstuds.

Some say that this is impossible and the only thing that can cure this is a replacement headgasket.
It's a topic that's been argued over and over again, been beat to death, dug up, kicked around, re-buried, etc.

The real world tests show that this is a mod that works, and has shown MPG improvement on many, many TDIs. It just works.

I would suggest that any one, with any power mods do it if they want to keep their MPGs up.

jasonTDI

TDI
I just odered my set to go with the bad head gasket replacement. I to have seen a signifigant drop in fuel economy over the past year. Winter fuel taken into account here. About 5-6 mpg less. From low forties to upper 30's. (up 1 and pp520's)Also with 130K hard miles I need to do the followers as a few of them have a grove wearing in and all have scuffing. Delvac 1 changes every 5-7.5K miles. Car will now be FMIC added and EGR system deleted. New turbo is on the list now.....

jasonTDI

TDI
Are there instructions for the torque on putting the studs in the head before the nuts? If not what torque?

gbangs

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
hgeittmann said:
Or a 1Z???
If you look in the RaceWare website catalogue, all TDI (ex PDI) use the same kit.
To me, that means our 1Z will use the same kit as this Cosworth kit. :D

$114.99 vs. $179.99 (Not to mention the hex head accomodation) sounds like a winner to me!

Last edited:

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)

Mine came today :) From EIP, in the raceware variety... Expensive, more than the ARP as well and that was at the old price which I was lucky to get them at (179.00 +shipping). Just in case anyone is looking for Raceware's, don't "search" for the page on them. The price list comes up isn't "good" i guess according to them directly. There is a 10.00 increase in price and they charged about 10 for shipping...

I've always used raceware...was lookin to try ARP but they gave me a pretty good deal at the old price...

christdi8r

I bought racewares when I put my motor back together. I should have gone with ARPs to save the money though.... The ARPs look NICE!

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Hey Mahoutsukai...is the secquence in the instructions ?

like 1,10,2,9, or do we start from the centre out 6,3,7,4,5,8,2,9,1,10....

i'm just making things up - no manual just going by the total count of studs and some basics i know...so don't laught ...i don't know the TDI secquence

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
jasonTDI said:
Are there instructions for the torque on putting the studs in the head before the nuts? If not what torque?
No, there is no torque for puting the studs in the head before you do the nuts.

BoosTDIt said:
Hey Mahoutsukai...is the secquence in the instructions ?

like 1,10,2,9, or do we start from the centre out 6,3,7,4,5,8,2,9,1,10....

i'm just making things up - no manual just going by the total count of studs and some basics i know...so don't laught ...i don't know the TDI secquence
LOL LOL LOL!!!! OH!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL :p

The sequence doensn't matter because you do them one at a time. However, here's the answer to your question if you were actually removing the head and doing them all at once:

Here's the actual instructions in the box:

And for the next question that's sure to be asked next (I told you this horse has been kicked to death a few times now) here is where ARP explains about how to get the fasteners torqued down:

Last edited:

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
right-click save...

So if i'm not taking the head off it doesn't matter from which i start? Where do you usualy start then ...i guess what i mean for clarity is ..do i do them in a cross pattern or just one after the other ?

I believe i'm in dire need of those ....

Last edited:

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
BoosTDIt said:
So if i'm not taking the head off it doesn't matter from which i start?
Mahoutsukai said:
The sequence doensn't matter because you do them one at a time.
BoosTDIt said:
Where do you usualy start then ...i guess what i mean for clarity is ..do i do them in a cross pattern or just one after the other ?
I believe i'm in dire need of those ....
I usually go 7,5,1,3,9,8,6,2,4,10

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
great post! if you dig you can find this info though! This is more to the point. lets bookmark this page for others to see. With the amount of people doing upgrades into bigger turbos and such this is one of those I should do mods. (my 2 cents)

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
jasonTDI said:
Wow! sounds like quite a workout!
You ain't kidding. *wince* My back still hurts. I just put them in at Mahoutsukai's house over the weekend, with his expert and patient tutelage. :D (And his tools.)

BTW, thanks again, Bruce! The car even feels/sounds "harder" somehow...I can't explain, but I'm very sensitive to the sounds my car makes. The normal sound just seems a little "harder-edged". It very well have made a big difference, but I won't know for a tank or three.

Mike

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Polar_TDI said:
Did I miss the answer to this or is it still unknown?
I think "gbangs" answered that up above. He said that according to RaceWare, all TDIs except PDs use the same kit.

Not sure that's definitive...you might want to contact either Summit Racing, ARP, RaceWare, or some combination of the three.

Mike

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Ohhh, is the cam cover gasket re-useable? I have never read of anyone mentioning replacing it so I assume it is reusable, but haven't ever looked it up in my bently.

jasonTDI

TDI
You mean the cam seal? Yes, since you aren't taking the cam out. If you pop out the cam i'd change it.