XM Radio Module R&R

joyrde

TDI
2006 Jetta - 5-speed
[FONT=&quot]A few years ago my 2006 Jetta tdi “lost” XM radio reception. I have tried re-pinging the radio several times. As I am retired, the Jetta is used mostly for short errands. Thus the lack of XM was not missed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We will be leaving on a trip from Ohio to the Black Hills in the near future, so we would like the XM back. After some research in this forum, I believe the issue is with the module in the trunk. I have ordered a module with the same P/N as the factory installed unit - - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8E0 035 593 E.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My question, other than removal/install, is this unit plug-n-play? Meaning, I unplug the factory unit, plug in the “new” unit, have Sirius send a signal, done ??? Or will there be a trip to VW for an “unlock”?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks in advance[/FONT]

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
[FONT=&quot]A few years ago my 2006 Jetta tdi “lost” XM radio reception. I have tried re-pinging the radio several times. As I am retired, the Jetta is used mostly for short errands. Thus the lack of XM was not missed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We will be leaving on a trip from Ohio to the Black Hills in the near future, so we would like the XM back. After some research in this forum, I believe the issue is with the module in the trunk. I have ordered a module with the same P/N as the factory installed unit - - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8E0 035 593 E.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My question, other than removal/install, is this unit plug-n-play? Meaning, I unplug the factory unit, plug in the “new” unit, have Sirius send a signal, done ??? Or will there be a trip to VW for an “unlock”?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks in advance[/FONT]
Sirius XM radio is a PAID radio service. For you to receive anything you HAVE to suscribe to Sirius XM for a monthly FEE payable usually in 6 months increments. Has nothing to do with a VW dealer.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
On long distance trips, it can be gold . . . not to mention Sirius/XM also providing traffic data for the nav . . .

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The XM module is plug and play. To swap the module there are several options,

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360416

I removed the package shelf.

Once installed and plugged up to the radio, you will get the new radio number from channel 0, call Sirius to have the radio activated, and your account switched
to the new radio.

I would call Sirius before you do the swap, to determine the fees associated with the account change, or the cost of setting up a new account.

Do some additional research/Googiing on the subject of account renewals/costs, seems there is a trick to negotiating the best rate.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Get the old radio number before you swap it as well just in case.
Delirious may need it as well as the new one if they can't find you in their system.
If this is in a VW radio did you try the internal diagnostics?
The amp in the antenna base has been known to go bad.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know what some are talking about to "remove" a module?

The radio has the XM/Sirius receiver built into it. Get the XM/Sirius serial number of the radio and talk to them. They will activate it using the serial number.

AND YES I get monthly emails right now from SIRIUS wanting me to sign up !!! Just because some Americans don't know this that doesn't make it so !

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The 2005/2006 Jettas and possible other years, have the satellite "module"/box
in the trunk, that is connected to the radio via a harness.

There is a different module for XM or Sirius, depending on what satellite
service was initially ordered with the car. This was back when XM and Sirius were two different companies. Back then, there was even a module swap service going on were people would swap modules to get the service type that they wanted,
some people liked XM, some people liked Sirius.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 2005/2006 Jettas and possible other years, have the satellite "module"/box
in the trunk, that is connected to the radio via a harness.

There is a different module for XM or Sirius, depending on what satellite
service was initially ordered with the car. This was back when XM and Sirius were two different companies. Back then, there was even a module swap service going on were people would swap modules to get the service type that they wanted,
some people liked XM, some people liked Sirius.
Well I learned something I did not know before your explanation.:D I just assumed they were all as in my 2015.