Normal Coolant Temp., for 2015 Jeeta TDI ???

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
What is the normal coolant temperature that a 2015 Jetta TDI is going to operate at. The 2015's have the latest diesel in them with water cooled inner cooler and water cooled turbo along with shutters in front and below the rad as I understand so with all said maybe they are to operate hotter then diesels before?? Got a scan gauge plugged in and mounted so to monitor and I have seen the temperature top out at so far at 218 Degs., F in stop and go traffic. I used a lazier thermometer and it when aimed at different places on the engine cooling system show pretty much same temp at the Scan gauge.
Ranges any where from 195 to 206 and one time the 218 Degs., F
Any thoughts and anyone else measuring their diesel coolant temp., on a 2015 TDI??

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They want it to get as hot as possible as quickly as possible, up to around usually the 215-220 F range.

This has always been a sticking point with diesel emission controls; they are generally SO fuel efficient by the nature of the beast, that they not only struggle to get up to a reasonably warm operational temp but they often struggle to maintain it if loads drop off.

Of course, with CR fuel systems and throttles, they can quite easily ramp fueling up to not only get the exhaust components hot but keep them hot under varying conditions if necessary. This can be both good and bad, of course. Good in that a warm engine is more efficient anyway, bad in that the usual way of overfueling/throttling air flow means the poor turbocharger gets a workout right after a cold start, and during any regen process.

The CR engines, especially the newest VAG engines (that we will unfortunately ONLY see for the 2015 model year) have pretty complex cooling systems to help channel heat where it needs to be as quickly as possible while also being able to remove the heat away from where it is concentrated to regulate the overall temps in all the places in and around the engine.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Oilhammer thankyou for getting back. So 218 degs is ok, normal then. On the highway it wants to run at 195 degs. Wow sure is toasty.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Assuming a 50/50 coolant mix and the standard 15 psi pressure cap the boiling point is 265F... so you've got some wiggle room. :)

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
With the engine running so hot I would like to run Evans water-less coolant in it with a boiling point of 375 degrees F and that is under no pressure. With the water cooled inter-cooler and water cooled turbo, Evans I believe will be much superior to the out dated coolant all the car makers use. With the Evans and a rad cap it will only make some 2-3 pounds pressure in the system. I will wait till the warranty done and then change to the Superior Evans coolant. I know here we go again on the Evans coolant, it's my opinion and I believe to be a fact that it is the best coolant.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have driven my former 2002 Jetta TDI to and from Mexico for 11 years. This on routes taking me through Texas and once via Arizona. I spend almost 6 months in Mexico and have NEVER ever had any problems with the car overheating.
So far I've done the trip once in my 2015 Passat TDI.
Certainly much hotter climates than Ontario.