Where Can I Get Oversized TDI Pistons?

dareo

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver GL
I have been searching for some oversized pistons for the ALH TDI engine. I will be rebuilding my 321k mile engine and if the pricing isnt too high i'd like to bore the block to an oversize and use new pistons and rings instead of the low mile shortblock i have for parts. Has anyone done an ALH rebuild with oversize parts?

Locosmotion

Veteran Member
TDI
1999, Beetle TDI White
Where in Utah? I would say we have a pretty strong TDI and diesel following in Utah. Don't believe it, attend "weekend on the edge" in ogden first part of Sept and you will see. Jump into the Mountain/Southwest forum we have a few G2Gs during the year.

Phil

dareo

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver GL
I live in Orem Utah. I guess there are some diesel people in northern utah but i haven't seen any TDI enthusiasts around here. Quite a few full size truck people, most of whom are dumb and just blow black smoke everywhere.
Emailing you about the pistons...

LTR

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4Motion, 2002
Put in transporter 00-04 2.5tdi´s pistons. Works like original but little more fun and are a direct fit. Only 1.5mm oversize what gives you 1968cc / 2.0l tdi and you can get them almost everywhere at least here in europe.

Last edited:

dareo

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver GL
Tell me more about these transporter pistons and where i can buy some. This idea sounds good to me. In the 1.9l TDI i believe there are two pistons and two pistons that are different.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Dareo, please update your profile with your location. Help us so that we can help you. It is frustrating to wonder where someone comes from so that appropriate information can be given. Yes, I know you stated your location in a post above, but do you want to do that for every thread?

I'll tell you why: what would you say if I tell you that you can get 81mm pistons (the same size as the T4 Transporter ones) without having to resort to sourcing them from Europe? The North American B5.5 Passat TDI is such the case. The difference between VE vs. PD injection systems apparently doesn't matter too much as far as the bowl geometry is concerned. And you get a desireable drop in compression ratio if you're going to tune the engine substantially from stock power levels. I don't know if the conrod small-ends are the same diameter, but the PD134 conrods should be substantially beefed up over the ALH ones.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
dareo said:
Tell me more about these transporter pistons and where i can buy some. This idea sounds good to me. In the 1.9l TDI i believe there are two pistons and two pistons that are different.

For 1.9 tdi you can go for 3 different types of pistons with 2 dif. bore diameter or you can go for R5 pistons which is in 2 diameters 81,01 and 81,51 with different compression height....

Go for oversized 81,51!!!!!

dareo

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver GL
Has anybody done a 81.5mm bore TDI in the United States? I love the idea of an oversized TDI. I've got a new VNT17, bigger nozzles, ecu tune, and a GHL turboback exhaust to complement. How much would these pistons affect my compression ratio?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
LTR said:
Put in transporter 00-04 2.5tdi´s pistons. Works like original but little more fun and are a direct fit. Only 1.5mm oversize what gives you 1968cc / 2.0l tdi and you can get them almost everywhere at least here in europe.
What engine codes are the ones that will fit the ALH connecting rods? Unfortunatly ETKA does't list the wrist pin size. The ALH uses 26x1.5 so the only 2.5L pistons that use that would be codes:

AHY
AXG
AYY
AJT late
ACV late
AYC late
AUF late

There is listings for different pistons for all the different engine codes - even differences between manual and automatic transmissions.

So assuming that the same size snap ring would result in the same size wrist pin, would it be safe to assume that the connecting rods would be correct as well?

The wheels are a-turning for my Golf Country project! :cool:

turbobuilder

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Custom mix silver
TDIMeister said:
I don't know if the conrod small-ends are the same diameter, but the PD134 conrods should be substantially beefed up over the ALH ones.
On this subject, are the pd 150 con rods similar to the alh rods? Is the big end diameter the same, and are they the same length? This would be much easier than having a custom set made for my ALH project. Also what year is the B5.5 passat, so I can get a set of those pistons?

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
turbobuilder said:
On this subject, are the pd 150 con rods similar to the alh rods? Is the big end diameter the same, and are they the same length? This would be much easier than having a custom set made for my ALH project. Also what year is the B5.5 passat, so I can get a set of those pistons?

IF you need tdi piston just tell me what diamter and I will do a custom new one with chamber design and compression ratios direct by your spec (price per set only pistons 860euro). About rods custom PD set is recomended to 600Nm, H type cost per set 780Euro.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
That would be a great deal from StingrayRT compared to buying new OEM, especially if as he has said in the past he can supply 83+ mm pistons. You'd be the big dog for 4 cyl. TDI displacement.

Do it and let us know.

Edit: If any piston spec. is available just for the asking, why stop at 83mm? Ask for an 86mm set and the best chamber shape and compression ratio that will give 600 Nm. Best money you'll ever spend.

StingrayRT said:
IF you need tdi piston just tell me what diamter and I will do a custom new one with chamber design and compression ratios direct by your spec (price per set only pistons 860euro). About rods custom PD set is recomended to 600Nm, H type cost per set 780Euro.

Last edited:

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIMeister said:
That would be a great deal from StingrayRT compared to buying new OEM, especially if as he has said in the past he can supply 83+ mm pistons. You'd be the big dog for 4 cyl. TDI displacement.

Do it and let us know.

Edit: If any piston spec. is available just for the asking, why stop at 83mm? Ask for an 86mm set and the best chamber shape and compression ratio that will give 600 Nm. Best money you'll ever spend.

Because it must use a stock piston rings the tdi one is different type I not sure. I use the rings from stock tdi pistons.....

86mm??? You are kiddning me?? Maximum is 83.5mm any bigger cannot be done...

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
TDIMEISTER.........that wasn't a leading taken for granted question was it........."86mm"....................at 83.5mm could you not custom make or have the rings made also via someone STingrayRT!!.

Last edited:

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
KROUT said:
So your using a stock size piston ring on an oversized piston?
I use different diesel type rings.....I´m not sure to using a gasoline turbo rings at diesel....thus I use a stock oversized from different types...

bareass

Veteran Member
TDI
`02 Jetta 74K
i always thought that useing a stroker kit would further hurt the rpm... because the engine has soo much stroke and not enough bore (over square or undersquare... not sure which one) wouldn't boring it give you mor hp and tq... while allowing you to use mor of the upper rpm

Zutsko

TDI
Golf Mk3 90HP '95
Following up on this old thread instead of starting a new one. ;)

I need to give my AHU engine an overhaul. An instead of just changing all the bearings, gasket, piston rings etc. I might as well change the pistons. So why not bore it bigger :D

The pistons from the T5 is a plug in and I can get them in 81 mm for a good price here in Europe.

This give me 2 questions:

1. What year/motor codes am I aiming for since they do not all fit? It have been asked before in this thread without an answer besides year 00-04. But it is not that simple since it seems like the T5 first came around 03 and if I use the year like 00, 01 or 02 they are called T4, please see here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kolben-pisto...352580?hash=item2367ae9f04:g:imoAAOSw2GlXGV4n

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Neuer-Kolben...774010?hash=item1eac3e29fa:g:wucAAOSwuxFYzUS7

2. What about head gasket?!? The standard one for the AHU/1Z engines are for 80 mm, does any other fit? And what about custom made ones, this sounds expensive :eek:

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The head gasket is the issue - I don't believe there is a gasket available for a bore that large. 81mm pistons will hit the stock sized gasket.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Zutsko

TDI
Golf Mk3 90HP '95
A little more study on the head gasket reviles that the G60 seems to be a fit.

The bore here is 82 mm and the thickness of the gasket is 1.50 mm - similar to the 2 holes AHU gasket, this one is 1.53 mm and the 3 holes gasket 1.61 mm.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Metall-Zylin...547731&hash=item3f171c38af:g:t-kAAOSwXXxZVpcp

I found some good details so I could compare the size of the pistons. There difference between the T4 and T5 pistons is the well depth and the depth of the valve carving. If I use the G60 head gasket and T4 pistons the spacing to the valves will be reduced by 0.06 mm and with the T5 pistons reduced by 0.01 mm. So this will work in both cases for sure.

But what worries me is the squish and compression ratio... This squish is reduced by 0.31 mm for both T4 and T5, does anyone know the original squish for an AHU engine? Standard crank, pistons and conrods?
(A roughly calculation based on the well size, valve carving, bore/stroke and the default compression ratio of 19.5:1 is giving me a number around 1.6 mm)

For the compression ratio, taking the well depth and valve carving into consideration a roughly calculation give between 22.5:1 and 23:1 - this is not going to work :-(

So I need the number confirmed so I can do some actual calculations: what is the squish and do anyone know the actual volume above the piston at TDC? and that would be the original one where the bore is 79.50 mm

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Passat 2.0L head gasket is what I used when I punched out the BEW/ALH to 81mm, plus you can get bigger than 81mm. Not sure if that works in your application.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I had my block bored for bhw 2.0 pistons. Factory pistons out of a 04-05 Passat tdi. Also using the bhw factory 2 hole head gasket. I upgraded to rosten rods too with arps. I've got most of my info and parts sourcing from darkside. They really know their stuff.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The PD gasket works if you are starting with an ALH, however the AHU/1Z have different oil and coolant passages.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk