Locking lugnut key lost. Now what?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The 2002 Jetta is on the lift for new tires and no lug key!
My daughter has no ideas where it went.
Maybe the transmission shop lost it a year ago?
Any ideas?
TIA

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Dealer?

Weld a nut on each?

I'd have thought a tire store would have some magic tool.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
First thing I do is take the stupid things off and go get four more "regular" lug bolts to prevent that (and other) issues. Or at least, put all of them on the same wheel to reduce the chance of emergency inconvienence.
No one is going to steel old VW wheels.
Most tire shops have socket tools to remove/destroy these type lugs.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
There are universal kits available. I mean, they aren't even remotely uncommon.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Off-Locking-Lug-Nut-Removal-Set/41087414

I assume this is why a lot of new cars don't come with them anymore. Since anybody can buy the tool at WalMart, what's the point?
I'm not so sure those external easy outs would fit between the rim and the security bolt.

I've had good luck with simply drilling the bolt head out with a 1/2" drill bit and then giving the remaining material a good whack with a cold chisel.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Another option would be to take something that just barely fits in the head, hammer it in, and hope it grabs well enough to extract the bolt. Something like a Torx socket.

Like this, but it would have to be a fairly large one:

Or maybe even a hex-head (Allen head) tool, that just barely fit in the bolt, with a hammer...

Last edited:

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
You can buy one from the dealer. Waste of money, though. Ask in the regional forum, I bet a forum user lives near you with the same locking lug bolt.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
My local VW dealer would not sell just the lug bolt key. Something about the key comes with the security lug bolts as a set. My guess, is that they broke apart too many sets for other customers, looking for a matching key, or ordered what they thought was a matching key, only to end up with a number of keys that sat on their shelf.
They did offer, for $8 a lug bolt, to run the car through the shop, and have the security lug bolts removed and replaced with standard lug bolts, which I agreed to, since my plan was to replace the security bolts with standard. I agree with others, the security bolts are a waste, no one wants VW rims, just like no one wants a VW radio (that requires the security code).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a master set, but I remove the miserable useless things on all my own cars as soon as I buy them.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A 3/4 inch 12 point socket and an impact gun. Hammer the 12 point socket over the llug nut and zip it off.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks for all the replies.
My mechanic got them off but it took him a while!
That's going to add to the labor! Good thing we're friends.
Standard bolts going back on!

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I agree with others, the security bolts are a waste, no one wants VW rims, just like no one wants a VW radio (that requires the security code).
The security bolts are fine until you need to take a tire off on the side of the road at 1 am in December in Iowa and the lugbolts are salted onto your rotors and the security key is slipping and destroying the lugbolt face.

Yeah, **** those things.

Glad your mech was able to unicorn them out.