5sp transmission help! (First go at it)

Tsasso

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI aka Miss Piggy, 281k and climbing - stock (for now) other than a Stage 2 clutch w/ single mass flywheel
So I've had my car a little over a year now, and it's my first VW, first manual trans, first diesel... Everything here is kinda new to me. Getting ready to do the trans (hopefully soon!) and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what I need as far as parts.. I know I need a new dogbone because mine is shot, a new rear main seal axel seals.. But any way y'all could hook me up with a list of parts and/or links to order them? Hopefully I'll be getting a new clutch kit so of course that'll come with a new throw out bearing.. But other than that not too sure. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for the time and any advice you can give me, as well as any you may have given on my other thread.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
What problem are you trying to address? What is the reason you are pulling the transmission from the car?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If you are upgrading for future mods post them, that will define what clutch you go with. Replace the fork, pivot, and clip while in there.
Your choice if you want to replace seals, none of mine leaked so I figured why cause a problem, but that can also be looked at as why not prevent a problem.

Tsasso

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI aka Miss Piggy, 281k and climbing - stock (for now) other than a Stage 2 clutch w/ single mass flywheel
Well I don't have a ton of money so everything is kind of a budgeting problem as well. But the tranny leaks like a siv and a couple loud gears.. I have the spare tranny already. But in the end I don't really want to go crazy with it yet until I have my next vehicle and I can take this one off the road and turn her to a project. So for now not much.. I'd like a little more power, but probably somewhere around 150 for now

Tsasso

TDI
Is there any way I could get around replacing anything that might be in the new/used tranny already?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Frankly, getting into one of these gearboxes is pretty straightforward but you won't be able to change anything in there w/o a hydraulic press, a three jaw puller, a bunch of bushings, several different size torx driver bits, and a few special VW tools. Not to mention an accurate set of feeler gauges, a Bentley manual, and a little luck. A solid mechanical aptitude and common sense helps too.
The only improvements you could make to a transmission really, and the 02J specifically, is a LSD, and then swap the axle stubs out for the VR6 ones so you can use more robust axles. If you like spending a lot of time in 4th gear you can do the overdrive swap for fifth gear.
Where is your current gearbox leaking from, and what lube are you keeping in it?

Tsasso

TDI
Keep 75-90 full syn at all times, seems like it's from the right side axel seal.. And the new tranny I have is new to me with 103k on it, only was taken out for an upgraded one to go in the original vehicle