Fix option but check engine light is on

nhraracer90

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
So I have been holding out for a "fix" instead of the buyback option. Now I am looking to get the car scheduled for the fix and take it in. My check engine light is on and has been on for awhile. Car runs fine, no power loss or fuel economy loss either. I think it may be related to the DPF (P0401) IIRC. Will they still be able to do the emissions mod with the check engine light on? Or will they have to fix the check engine light issue and take that out of the modification money? I just don't want to have to pay $2500 for a DPF replacement and have that taken from my modification money.

Thanks!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
What makes you think the check engine light has anything to do with the DPF?

nhraracer90

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I did some research on the code that I have and one of the problems it could be is a cracked/clogged DPF.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Well, in any event, they won't take the cost of the work out of your restitution--if you have to pay, you'll have to pay up-front. I don't think it's clear at this time if they'll do the fix on cars with a bad DPF. My guess would be no, since the DPF is under the extended warranty once the fix is done--they'd want it working at the time the fix is done. But I haven't seen a definite answer either way.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Verify the CEL and code and fix it, there are some cheap fixes out there for common CELs, P2015 comes to mind.

One would have to assume if VW was extending the warranty on the car, the car would have to be maintained per their standards, meaning nothing broken nor neglected.

nhraracer90

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Hmmmmmm. I guess I will probably have someone look at it. Hopefully it will be a cheap fix.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Not entirely sure you pulled the code or not, but if it ends up being the exhaust valve stuck open, just remove it from the pipe, take off the servo (2 screws IIRC), and soak the valve body in diesel overnight. Then work the valve back and forth numerous times and occasionally dunking back in the diesel to rinse off, until it's good and loosened up. Wipe off/blow off the valve, reinstall the servo, then reinstall the assembly back on the pipe. I've been doing this every other oil change for the last 30K miles.....because I'm too stubborn to buy a new one. :p

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Not entirely sure you pulled the code or not, but if it ends up being the exhaust valve stuck open, just remove it from the pipe, take off the servo (2 screws IIRC), and soak the valve body in diesel overnight. Then work the valve back and forth numerous times and occasionally dunking back in the diesel to rinse off, until it's good and loosened up. Wipe off/blow off the valve, reinstall the servo, then reinstall the assembly back on the pipe. I've been doing this every other oil change for the last 30K miles.....because I'm too stubborn to buy a new one. :p
Wasn't there a free replacement campaign on the exhaust flap?

bluecrab

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I had the P0401 code come on immediately after having the vaguely described software fix performed just before everything hit the fan for VW. At mileage just past warranty, VW would not assist in any way and the dealer wanted 40% over list price for the parts. Prior to the scandal, if was common for a large portion to be covered under sympathetic warranty. As you can guess, I was hoping the fix would include the emissions parts that went bad when the system was set up to not work per standards.

So as I see it, I could give a tech some cash to clear the codes the day I drop the car off or fight to have them fix the issues because VW intentionally had the system not working to standard for the life of the car before the scandal. I have not decided which approach to take yet.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
first step is really to get a proper scan to identify why the light is on.

also, what does the inside of your tailpipe look like?

(clean or sooty)

beetlemania

TDI
2002, 2010, 2013
So I have been holding out for a "fix" instead of the buyback option. Now I am looking to get the car scheduled for the fix and take it in. My check engine light is on and has been on for awhile. Car runs fine, no power loss or fuel economy loss either. I think it may be related to the DPF (P0401) IIRC. Will they still be able to do the emissions mod with the check engine light on? Or will they have to fix the check engine light issue and take that out of the modification money? I just don't want to have to pay $2500 for a DPF replacement and have that taken from my modification money.

Thanks!
I would just take the car in and let it be their problem

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
They wont complete the modification if your check engine light is on, mine wasn't on and they still found an excuse of dpf needs replaced before they would complete the Mod- 2242$

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
So say a car is tuned, with DPF and EGR deleted and full exhaust. I take it to the dealer with stock exhaust installed and no CEL. What happens when they flash it and it comes back with a CEL? Will they see that it is tuned before initial flash?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
So say a car is tuned, with DPF and EGR deleted and full exhaust. I take it to the dealer with stock exhaust installed and no CEL. What happens when they flash it and it comes back with a CEL? Will they see that it is tuned before initial flash?
Confused by your hypothetical information. If the DPF is deleted, then you aren't taking it to the dealer with a stock exhaust system (the DPF is part of the exhaust system). I would also think the dealer would check if the DPF exists on 2010 on up cars as part of their inspection prior to starting the fix work. If they see it is missing, they don't start the fix. My thoughts to your hypothetical scenario.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
It is currently fully deleted and tuned accordingly.

Stock exhaust will go back on but the delete tune would not read any of the DPF issues I am guessing.

So when they Fix it and flash to stock or updated it will read the DPF again and throw codes. Car is a 2011.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if you install a functioning OEM exhaust system, no codes should show up.

you might, however, verify with your tuner what to expect with the specific tune and an OEM exhaust system.

my guess is you would have a limited time and mileage between putting the stock components in, and getting the fix. (if the tune does not run DPF regens, the DPF will clog up if you drive too long.)

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Yeah, i wouldnt be putting any kind of miles on it tuned with stock exhaust installed. It will be driven straight to the dealer.

I emailed my tuner yesterday on my best options. Was wondering about swapping in an immobilizer defeated ECU with a stock tune.

I didn't have any codes when the car was still stock, but it has been deleted for 2 years and the stock exhaust in storage. I am not sure i expect it to be a fully functioning system again after a flash.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless some local critters stuffed it with acorns, it should work just fine.

NCTDI2010

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr
I just dropped my 2010 Golf TDI to the local dealer here in NC for the fix. My CEL had been coming on and off the past month or so. It was the P0401 code. The CEL was off until the afternoon when I went to drop the car off for the fix plus other recalls.

Get the call later in the afternoon, after they already knew the light was on to say they cannot do the programming due to the CEL being on. They diagnosed it as the DPF, which just so happens to be part of the extended warranty. Chicken before the egg here. I am getting a quote of the DPF replacement from a local import shop in case VW screws me over and has to have the DPF replaced.

They did say that the DPF is not under the extended warranty until they can reprogram the car. But to reprogram, the light cannot be on, therefore I would have to pay out of pocket to replace the DPF(est $2300) to get the light to go off. What a load of crap that is...

I currently have a claim open with VWOA which has been escalated to the regional claims manager to look more closely at my case. Says I should get a call by the end of day tomorrow with more info.

Not thrilled right now as they money was earmarked to pay for my shed.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I just dropped my 2010 Golf TDI to the local dealer here in NC for the fix. My CEL had been coming on and off the past month or so. It was the P0401 code. The CEL was off until the afternoon when I went to drop the car off for the fix plus other recalls.

Get the call later in the afternoon, after they already knew the light was on to say they cannot do the programming due to the CEL being on. They diagnosed it as the DPF, which just so happens to be part of the extended warranty. Chicken before the egg here. I am getting a quote of the DPF replacement from a local import shop in case VW screws me over and has to have the DPF replaced.

They did say that the DPF is not under the extended warranty until they can reprogram the car. But to reprogram, the light cannot be on, therefore I would have to pay out of pocket to replace the DPF(est $2300) to get the light to go off. What a load of crap that is...

I currently have a claim open with VWOA which has been escalated to the regional claims manager to look more closely at my case. Says I should get a call by the end of day tomorrow with more info.

VW will call you back. had set up a "claim" with customer care before I brought my car in.. Brought it in and never heard a thing from dealer. Car is "fixed" with old dpf still intact. VW customer care has called twice already checking if I was all good. Been to busy but they don't want this trap with dpf's goetti g out of hand. c

NCTDI2010

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr
VW will call you back. had set up a "claim" with customer care before I brought my car in.. Brought it in and never heard a thing from dealer. Car is "fixed" with old dpf still intact. VW customer care has called twice already checking if I was all good. Been to busy but they don't want this trap with dpf's goetti g out of hand. c

Just got a call back from the regional claims manager, Brad, said they would not cover me. Not happy! Who can I escalate to?

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Contact the legal team for the class action.
They are currently addressing this issue.

This is how they answered me:

A: We are currently talking with VW to see what they can do for people who are in this situation. For now, you should hold off on getting the repair (if possible) until we get this figured out. It would also be helpful if you could provide the following information for your vehicle: (1) claim number; (2) dealership; and (3) what specifically needs to be repaired/replaced.

[FONT=&quot]Shelby Smith | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Direct: (206) 268-9370[/FONT]

Grnfsh

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Interesting, I have a CEL on due to the glow plug wire harness. They will likely tell me the same thing. I may just flip to the buy back at that point

NCTDI2010

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr
Contact the legal team for the class action.
They are currently addressing this issue.

This is how they answered me:

A: We are currently talking with VW to see what they can do for people who are in this situation. For now, you should hold off on getting the repair (if possible) until we get this figured out. It would also be helpful if you could provide the following information for your vehicle: (1) claim number; (2) dealership; and (3) what specifically needs to be repaired/replaced.

[FONT=&quot]Shelby Smith | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Direct: (206) 268-9370[/FONT]

Thank you Mark. I have contacted Shelby and provided my information. I will be in touch with the dealership this afternoon about everything. Assuming I will be taking it back as is less the airbag and snow flap recalls being fixed.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
if your able to clear the codes with a generic code scanner, you should be good. I got the "fix" done last friday, and cleared the P0401 from it the morning i dropped it off. 5 days later my CEL just poped up for the P0401. im planning on having them repair it as soon as i get the money in my account from the "fix"

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think there is another chicken saying you could use here too!

Best of luck, what are you options of just letting them buy you out?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if your able to clear the codes with a generic code scanner, you should be good. I got the "fix" done last friday, and cleared the P0401 from it the morning i dropped it off. 5 days later my CEL just poped up for the P0401. im planning on having them repair it as soon as i get the money in my account from the "fix"
I'd think this will stir the hornets nest quite good. Best of luck

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
Thats why im waiting till i get the money, then moving it out of the account :). hehe but seriously, i am following the letter of the settelemnt, that after the "fix" has been applied that my EGR and DPF are under warrenty for another 54k miles, and i fully intend to hold them to the wording in the settelemnt... hehe