JSW - New Stereo and Backup Camera

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
I'm going to attempt to install a new stereo this evening because my stock radio unit failed a couple weeks back. I bought the new equipment from crutchfield. Here's the inventory of parts:

I wanted carplay so I bought the Kenwood DDX6703S.
Euro antenna adapter
Scosche dash kit
idatalink maestro ADS-MRR module (for keeping steering wheel controls functional)
idatalink interface harness (wiring harness for the VW).

The backup camera is just a $20 camera from Amazon, but it'll work with the kenwood unit. I don't need a backup camera for backing the car, but for hooking up to my utility trailer and camper.

I'm a little nervous about this project. My nephew is a car audio nut and said he'd help me, but it would be Sunday before we could meet up. So, I'm going to start the install and if I have challenges, get him to help me finish it Sunday.

Question: Anyone know if the stock VW bluetooth and internal mic are a good choice, or should I use the kenwood bluetooth and external mic (maybe mount it above my mirror?)? Just not sure which one will have superior call quality. Any opinions would be appreciated on that.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got this response to the question from Crutchfield:
You'll want to use the Kenwood microphone in this installation. I just looked over the info we have on your vehicle and a good place to mount it will be on top of the steering column, in front of the speedometer.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Just got this response to the question from Crutchfield:
You'll want to use the Kenwood microphone in this installation. I just looked over the info we have on your vehicle and a good place to mount it will be on top of the steering column, in front of the speedometer.

That seems like sound advise. How much did everything run ya roughly?

Pics!

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
So, the back up camera I got fits over the license plate. Normally that would work, however... the JSW hatch release button is in the same place as the camera. So, I have to flip it upside down if I use this camera. According to the manufacturer, it will auto-correct the image so maybe not a big deal... looks a bit cheesy though.
Second issue is the wiring has to be routed all the way to the top of the hatch, then back down to tie into the reverse light wire and power (If I'm not mistaken...) So, I might try to find a different camera that maybe attaches to the bumper or something (not the hatch). If anyone has any ideas, I'm open. I think I'll do the head unit this evening and see if that goes better. I can always add the BUC after I have time to find a better setup.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the radio installed this weekend. My steering wheel controls work, as does apple carplay. Haven't done the back up camera yet. Stereo works well and looks nice. I can even clear engine codes with the radio. Pretty cool.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
how does it interface with DTCs?
There are wires that connect to the ODBII port. Pretty cool that it works. The radio can even display the gauges and some other vehicle-specific info. (Battery charge, for instance)

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Looks great! That is pretty awesome it hooks up into your ODBII, I had no idea you could do that.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Neat that you got it all to work. Besides the cel codes, can it do custom OBD codes, like for DPF soot load, requested and actual boost and stuff like that?
Also, all the buttons around the screen are gone; i guess they were part of the VW radio; how do you like that (everything touch screen)? And how does the screen resolution for apple carplay compare to the phone's resolution? The VW stereos with carplay that I have seen have abysmal resolution, like an old monitor, nothing like a modern phone.