MY2010 Bosch HPFP

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I think I am in the right forum. If not, please move it to the correct forum.

I have a MY2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition with 80,000 miles on it. I've seen several posts in this forum about Bosch cheapening the HPFP somewhere after the common rail TDI engine was introduced. Many said if your HPFP hasn't gone out yet, you likely have at TDI with an earlier version of the Bosch HPFP that was built stronger. My Cup Edition was built on 3/2010.

Can I get some feedback if Bosch really did cheapen up on the HPFP's, and if so, when did the cheaper ones start going into Jetta TDI's? Would mine still have the better HPFP, or was mine built after the cheaper HPFPs started being installed on Jetta TDIs?

Or is the aspect of Bosch cheapening their HPFPs on 2.0 TDI CR engines a myth?

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Total myth. Quite the opposite: since the early HPFPs had failure problems, Bosch needed to upgrade subsequent HPFPs, with different internal coatings to attempt to prevent early failure.
You would benefit from reading up on the HPFP design, failure issues, etc.

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
Agreed, that is a myth. Bosch actually to change the HPFP to try and make it last. There is a reason the warranty was extended to 120,00 miles. Because some of the earlier HPFP's had issues.

Yours is in the earlier range and I would highly recommend a 2micron filter (If you don't have one) if you can get a hold of one. My HPFP went without that filter and it took a lot of work to clean all the debris from the fuel system.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Yes, after doing some research, I am discovering the same thing (Bosch didn't build a great pump at the beginning and cheapen it, but rather they had pump problems in the beginning and started making design changes to improve). In short, the HPFP is a Bosch CP4.1. When introduced to the US market in MY2009, the pump was already modified (RP0) for adaptation to the US market due to low lubricity diesel fuel. After the original introduction:

- RP0+ (May 2009): Change involving carbon coating at roller (increase robustness, eliminate blemishes on roller surface)

- RP1 (Nov 2010): Changed carbon coating of roller and roller shoe, reduced radial roller clearance, and added suction valve strainer (improvements against off-spec fuel in fuel-critical foreign markets)

- RP1+ (Nov 2011): Changed carbon coating of roller and roller shoe and reduced radial tappet clearance (further improvements against off-spec fuel in fuel-critical foreign markets)

- RP1++ (Nov 2012): Increased wire diameter of metering unit mesh strainer (improve resistance to strainer deformation)

Interesting that last update on the Bosch CP4.1 HPFP, and the suggestion to install a 2-micron filter. Is this the same thing, or is this counter to each other? Plus, the strainer would only (maybe) reduce the risk of fuel system contamination after a HPFP has failed, but doesn't prevent it, right?

From what I am seeing, the predominant cause ID'd for these HPFP failures is contaminated fuel (either mixed with gasoline or with water). Not saying these pumps don't fail gradually due to low lubricity diesel fuels in the US, but it sounds like mixing with high concentrations of gasoline or water can cause a failure within the time it takes to only consume part of the fuel in the fuel tank containing this contaminated fuel. I'm sure some people accidentally put gasoline into their TDI's. But I'm wondering if a delivery truck operator doesn't sometimes accidently put gasoline into a fuel station diesel storage tank too. And the fuel station storage tanks, being they are all underground with full ports on the pavement, I wonder how much water gets into them during the rain, or when filling tanks during a rain or melting snow period. And with low lubricity US diesel supplies, it sort of makes sense.

I do know now that in May 2013, there was a Service Action Campaign to install misfuel guards at the filler neck. I checked what was installed and what I have (I just got the car 2.5 years ago and rarely drove it with Dieselgate unraveled), and found I had the guard installed, but it was missing a key part (the spring-loaded stainless steel flap insert). Given VW will not warrant a HPFP failure under the extended warranty for it (10 years of 120,000 miles, whichever happens first) unless the guard in intact and the fuel does not test as being contaminated, I figure I need to get my misfuel guard repaired soon.

Oh well, the things one needs to do to keep a great TDI healthy and on the road!!

Last edited: