AC o-ring sizes

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
What's the chance someone has a list of ALL the needed sizes for a B4?

I always end up buying several prepackaged kits to get what I need, and always end up with a lot of extras, that never get used.

I'd rather just buy about 15 of each needed size, and be good for my lifetime.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I was going to suggest the package, that's what I used last time but I understand that you get a lot of some o-rings and very few of the others. I'll see what I can find.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Here's what I found in the parts catalog

@evap to txv
10.8 x 1.82 (or 1.8)

@txv to pipes
7.6x11.16
17x1.8

@dryer
7.6x11.16
10.8x1.82 (or 1.8)

@bottom cond unit
7.6x11.6

@top cond unit
10.8x1.8

@compressor
(qty 2) 20.35x1.78

@pressure switch
10.8x1.82 or 1.8

from the parts catalog, hope the numbers are correct

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks! You're missing one at the TXV, but I have it figured out.... 14 x 1.8. I'm also seeing the trinary switch as 7.6 x 1.8. I've got a spare, so that'll be easy to verify.

I notice some of your measurements show ID/OD and others show ID/cross section. I'm also seeing some very minute differences after the decimals, but in the 100th range... nothing that should affect anything. Still good for checking my work.

I wish you posted earlier, though.... I got OCD and spent a couple hours finding the part numbers, Googling, cross referencing, etc. The only two I couldn't find listed, were for the service ports.

Seems that there's only 5 different sizes used, otherwise.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steve, I rechecked my notes and you were correct about the trinary switch. I wrote the wrong info down.

I pulled the service valves. Low side is around 7.5 x 1.8 and high side is around 9.75 x 1.8.

I did verify one port on the TXV lists 2 different sizes: 16.7 or 17.2 x 1.8. The ID may be close enough to not matter, which got me to thinking...

Out of curiosity, I went through my leftover seals and found some "close" o-rings with a larger cross section and installed them. I actually like the way they fit, compared to the "actual" size seal. I feel a bit more confident they'd be leak free, due to the snugness.

Meh.... more time probably wasted.

Back on the service ports, I previously replaced them with Santech MT2907. Looking at them closely, it appears the valve cores can be removed from the inside. I think I can see a hex head...

The kit came with extra valves, and I didn't think anything of it. I may have tossed them.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hey Todd
I measured nothing so if there are errors in sizing then it's VW's problem, I only reported what Volkswagen lists in the parts catalog.

I didn't report the valve o-ring sizes since it seems unlikely that those would fail although I suppose they could at some point. I personally wouldn't go to the effort of replacing those two because of the potential damage to the pipes / valves. I would only replace if I knew the existing o-rings were bad.

I think there's some flexibility in the sizes that will work. The kit I acquired had a ton of similarly sized o-rings that I've kept because there was so little difference between any of them. The only o-rings that the kit was cheap on were the two compressor rings, those they only provided two, which was too bad.

Steve