Heater Core needs to be replaced

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
So I took my 2014 Jetta tdi in because I was having problems not making heat. It was only making like 65 degree heat out of the vents, there's no water temp gauge so I ran it in. Mind you I'm fresh out of the 36k warranty. Got a call today, need a new heater core to the tune of $1,100.00 and had to leave a $405 downpayment to order the new core. :(. Anyone else had this replaced? I know it all has to come apart which sucks. I thought this was pretty much directed to the passats but I guess not. Any advice?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
So I took my 2014 Jetta tdi in because I was having problems not making heat. It was only making like 65 degree heat out of the vents, there's no water temp gauge so I ran it in. Mind you I'm fresh out of the 36k warranty. Got a call today, need a new heater core to the tune of $1,100.00 and had to leave a $405 downpayment to order the new core. :(. Anyone else had this replaced? I know it all has to come apart which sucks. I thought this was pretty much directed to the passats but I guess not. Any advice?
I would post in the wtb section of the forum. It seems as if many owners are going through the process of stripping their cars and perhaps you can get one at a good price.

That or there is autohas in Paterson nj. They're a salvage yard specializing in newer German cars.

Me personally I would push back. They are probably being passive towards you because of the impending buy back and they may be assuming that this is another car that's going to be traded in and crushed.. whether if that's true or not, I wouldn't put it past the stealer ships with their rip off mentality.

I'd push back and try to escalate it as high as you can go. Maybe leverage with them and tell them that you're doing the modification where you keep the car and that you will have it done there so that way their techs get paid on it plus the service when it's that time.

Of course you don't have to abide by this empty promise but they don't know that.

Also i would consider getting a second opinion. Perhaps from an independent guru near where you live. It may not be the heater core. Or it may be. But if it is I'm willing to bet that they would resolve the issue far cheaper than the dealer will.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
If you're willing to drive a bit, Mike hevester over at m &m auto is the man!

He's in Montague nj. Which from you I'd imagine to be about 3.5 hours. Call him and see what he says. He's also on this forum.

If you dint want to make that kind of drive somewhere on this forum there is a list of trusted tdi mechanics listed by state.

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
Both good points, thanks sandman. I am planning on doing the mod so that may help too. I just graduated from YouTube university a second ago. https://youtu.be/QUPm1O-Jfvk the replacement isn't nearly as bad as I'd thought, I thought the whole dash was coming out but it's not there in the MK6. I don't see this taking a tech 8 hours to do so I may mention that also. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the core being clogged as it only has 41k on the clock and I bought it with 7k on it. The system has never been opened. Anyone else with experience with this?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I haven't heard of this issue on the jetta. Passat yes but not the jetta. Again I'd really consider taking it to an independent shop. The dealership techs throw parts at problems.
Heck prime example my tdi the backup camera wouldn't work intermittently. Vw tried 6 times and threw 12k worth of parts and labor. Later on while installing my trailer module I saw one of the ground connectors wasn't seating properly. It was loose. Tighten it and it's been good since

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
My heater core plugged up on my 09 at 150K. Barely got any heat out of it at all. I looked up the flat rate time for a core replacement and it listed 3.0 hours to do the job. So I ordered a heater core and put it in. It did not require dash removal and was really quite easy except for the coolant tube to heater core junction.

Find an honest independent near you. I looked up a core for your core for your car from one of my major suppliers and they are not hugely expensive. They show a retail price of $220.00 for the core. It shows the same core for 12-16 Jettas. I looked up the flat rate on your car and it shows 3.0 hours labor required.

I wish I could get away charging $1100. for that job, but I have to sleep nights and can't if my conscience is not clear.

I would also call VW customer relations and complain first. I know they are extending warranty on Passat cores, maybe they have a secret warranty program that is on a complaint basis. It is a poor design that allows crap to collect in the heater core, but your car has been maintained according to their schedule on coolant replacement so it should be on them.

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks PDQ. I wil make sure to talk to the service manager and ask him to show my the labor in his book and explain to me how they got to $1,100. I REALLY don't like being lied to.

Last edited:

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
Small update: called the service manager, pleaded my case. He's going to contact VW to see if they will participate in my replacement. In the meantime I just got the absolute worst mileage in a tank by far. Any thoughts why that could happen? Coincidence? I'm typically in the 42-44 range. This one was about 37.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Small update: called the service manager, pleaded my case. He's going to contact VW to see if they will participate in my replacement. In the meantime I just got the absolute worst mileage in a tank by far. Any thoughts why that could happen? Coincidence? I'm typically in the 42-44 range. This one was about 37.
That's great news. Regarding mileage it is most likely due to winter grade fuel. Barring you don't have any CEL?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
That's great news. Regarding mileage it is most likely due to winter grade fuel. Barring you don't have any CEL?

Actually I just thought of this, but how are the engine temp overall? If you have a bad t stat that would explain the heat and offer an explanation for the mpg

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
I don't have a water temp guage, just idiot lights. No CEL though. I've been through a winter before, mileage didn't suffer that much though. Almost 100 miles less than typical when the fuel light came on

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Is it leaking? Is the top radiator hose also lukewarm? Why not try and flush the core and if it is clear, check the thermostat?

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
No leak, just trying to see if there is a correlation between a bad stat and ****ty mileage. Maybe i don't need a new $1,100.00 heater core?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you want to take a little drive to the south side of DC,(off I-395 north of the DC beltway) we could hook up the VCDS and look at a few things.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
Perhaps this is a dumb question but why don't you just do the buyback and not fix it?

tdiDZL

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks for the offer meerschm but I called the Service Manager back and was told VW would pay for half of the repair so I'm going to go with that. Less headache replacing it myself and less antifreeze I have to smell and wear. Thanks for all of the help guys