DIY 12v Constant Power Outlet MOD

DieselDubs83

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd, 2005 Passat BHW, 82 Caddy TDI
Did you ever wish that your Passat had a 12V constant outlet? Like for charging your dead phone while in a meeting, or plugging your battery tending solar panel into? This is a simple way to get your factory outlets to be 12V positive even with the key off.
First of all remove this tray by pressing inwards on both sides while maintaining opening pressure. When it releases, simply open it all the way down and pull it off the hinges.

Next you want to shine the light up into the cavity at the back of this drawer and locate the yellow (or greenish) relay (circled in red) with the number 644 on it. pull this relay out by releasing the lock tab (circled in yellow)

Next you need to open the relay up. :)

Then check out how the contacts inside the relay work and place an object (I used an electrical terminal) in it to hold the contacts together.

Snap the relay back together and enjoy your "always on" 12V outlets. This retains a fully fused circuit and an OEM look. Below is a pic of the fuse for this circuit.

ENJOY!!!!!

Last edited:

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Nice! Finally someone figures this out. Just one question, will this drain the battery's hen the vehicle is off and the outlet is not in use?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Nice mod. I would be concerned that the terminal wedged in there would/might/will loosen and fall out, since the coil will continue to energize each time the car is on and release when turned off, and over time this slight movement can affect the placement of the terminal. Then you got a rattle to deal with. A dab of 5 minute epoxy would hold it in place. Better yet would be to solder a 12 gauge wire jumper across the contacts.

DieselDubs83 - Thanks for the tip on removing the relays. i was trying to remove my aux relays to move some wires around and just couldn't seem to release it. Does the lock tab move out to release or in towards the relay? TIA.

You may affect the battery charge state if you left something plugged in for an extended period without running the car, but that would be an extreme case.

DieselDubs83

TDI
That tab is moved away from the relay to release it.

I understand the concern on coming loose. This was on a customers car and he wanted to be able to return to stock should he need to. Make sure that it is wedged tight enough to eliminate any movement when energized. I would probably hot glue mine as it would hold well and yet still remove easily.

-Les

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
That simple?

Cool!!!!!!!!!!

Now, why hasn't VW thought of this...?

My guess is that VW's corporate board is 'too conservative' (think of lawyers and bean counters, instead of engineers).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wonder if this would work on the JSW to have the 110v outlet always hot? Be great for camping trips when you need to charge things.

DieselDubs83

TDI
will this relay mod energize other electrical circuits that otherwise would be OFF with the key?
In testing this circuit there are no other components on it. This is a single relay and single fuse (30A) circuit. The only things on this circuit are the tow outlets.

-Les

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Wonder if this would work on the JSW to have the 110v outlet always hot? Be great for camping trips when you need to charge things.
It might. Does your JSW have two fuses where the OP's (and my) car only have one? The relay powers that entire row of fuses.

-J

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
You can do the same thing by crimping two spade connectors on a short piece of wire 10 or 12 gauge minimum.

Pull relay,

insert jumper in appropriate sockets where relay used to be

Now power full time with no kluge and taking apart relay.

Takes 5 minutes total.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
You can do the same thing by crimping two spade connectors on a short piece of wire 10 or 12 gauge minimum.

Pull relay,

Takes 5 minutes total.
Exactly what I was thinking. Just need to determine which 2 terminals activate the coil and which 2 are the contacts.
I never have understood the practice of switching off the lighter socket on imports.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Exactly what I was thinking. Just need to determine which 2 terminals activate the coil and which 2 are the contacts.
I never have understood the practice of switching off the lighter socket on imports.
I absolutely love the 12v plugs being switched! Having a dash cam that turns it self on and off without having to unplug and replug everytime is heaven.

my chebbie cars I had to install a switched relay, they are 12v constant, it was a royal pita with the radar detectors, usb car chargers, ect.

the only reason i've want'ed a 12v constant is what you guys have pointed out already, to charge the phone while away inside a store.

-Carl

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Back in the day, maybe an occasional 12V car vac with crappy suction or compressor for tire inflation might be found in the trunks of cars. Cigarette lighters on many cars would work with the ignition off and no one would run down their battery. Now we can power laptops, phones, GPS units, hot plates, wire aftermarket radios, portable DVD players, car seat heaters, 12V impact wrenches for lug nuts, coffee pots, little frying pans, curling irons and yes the list goes on.

My point is simply this: Too many people would run their battery down by forgetting to unplug.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
My point is simply this: Too many people would run their battery down by forgetting to unplug.
What you are saying is true, but those people would learn it quickly not to leave the gadgets connected, after a couple no start due to dead battery. Failure to learn would simply requier to keep a jumber cable and/or a portable jumper box in the trunk.
Can't really blame the manufacturer for one's own stupidity. ;)

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
My dodge caravan has the best of both worlds. It has two plugs on the dask, one is switched and one is not. I'm going to make the same mod on my Jetta by using an add a circuit in the fuse box to an extra socket in the cubby ahead of the shifter.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
... It has two plugs on the dask, one is switched and one is not. I'm going to make the same mod on my Jetta by using an add a circuit in the fuse box to an extra socket in the cubby ahead of the shifter.
This was my solution as well :cool:

-J

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Good mod my man. I am going to go with the spade connectors and wire route but way to experiment and figure this out

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE

Pull relay,

Takes 5 minutes total.

This does seem like the eaiser route. It's the way I would like to go. There are 4 connectors total on the relay, which two need to be connected in order for this mod to work?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
This does seem like the eaiser route. It's the way I would like to go. There are 4 connectors total on the relay, which two need to be connected in order for this mod to work?
if you look at post #1, its the 2 legs that are perpendicular to each other, where the case is being pried off. Looks like they are labeled 3 and 5. Officially, the schematic shows them as 75 and 30a on the relay base with male spade connectors. They're the bigger tabs to carry the current. 30a is the 12V hot from fuse SB24 (50A in under hood fuse box). The other 2 legs (smaller than the power legs) are labeled 85 (power to relay coil) and 31 (ground).

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
if you look at post #1, its the 2 legs that are perpendicular to each other, where the case is being pried off. Looks like they are labeled 3 and 5. Officially, the schematic shows them as 75 and 30a on the relay base with male spade connectors. They're the bigger tabs to carry the current. 30a is the 12V hot from fuse SB24 (50A in under hood fuse box). The other 2 legs (smaller than the power legs) are labeled 85 (power to relay coil) and 31 (ground).
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I'm sure that others will find this helpful as well.