metric grade 10.9 bolts in ontaria

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
anyone know where I can find em? looking to replace my motor mount bolts wth non-stretch bolts. home depot, canadian tire, partsource, had only metric 8.8/sae 5.

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH
Where are you located?

BoltsPlus, Spaenaur, Knapp Fasteners (not sure if they do walk-in sales)... Amazon, eBay... McMaster-Carr...

You're probably stuck buying a small box of bolts from most industrial places that do sales to the public.

Another option is a SHCS which is always 12.9 grade. Socket-head cap screw, allen key/hex drive. Maybe try TSC Stores? Or find a friend that can get stuff like this through work for pennies ;)

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Where are you located?

BoltsPlus, Spaenaur, Knapp Fasteners (not sure if they do walk-in sales)... Amazon, eBay... McMaster-Carr...

You're probably stuck buying a small box of bolts from most industrial places that do sales to the public.

Another option is a SHCS which is always 12.9 grade. Socket-head cap screw, allen key/hex drive. Maybe try TSC Stores? Or find a friend that can get stuff like this through work for pennies ;)
Windsor.

Pretty unreal that the entire weight of the engine and tranny are supported by four stretch bolts. I'm feelin super sketched about the tranny side because I reused em.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Windsor.
Pretty unreal that the entire weight of the engine and tranny are supported by four stretch bolts. I'm feelin super sketched about the tranny side because I reused em.
Sketchy to you but the VW engineers are not idiots and they are stretch bolts for a purpose: during a collision the bolts give and let the engine drop down instead of stay intact and intrude into the passenger compartment (really wanted to put it in a way that really spoke my mind but had to try to hold back) :rolleyes:

How many millions of VWs doing hundreds of thousand of km each and I've never heard of engine mount bolts spontaneously breaking unless people do stupid stuff like reusing bolts when they are told to replace every time, or modding engines without understanding additional reaction forces and moments. :rolleyes: