VW Masterguard Extended Waranty: Does It Exist?

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
I went to a VW dealer and asked specifically for documentation abuot the "VW Masterguard Extended Waranty" which has been mentioned in previous threads here. The salesperson (and others) seemed unaware this existed and gave me brochure info for another plan which is not related to VW in any way. I also researched the VWoA sited and found no mention of any extended waranty or extended service contract.

So my question is: Does the VW Waranty exist, and where can one get info about it.

Thank you in advance.

mikeg

TDI
OILMAN300
Perhaps the dealer makes more profit selling the non-Masterguard Warranty. I purchased a Masterguard plan for my 99 NB TDI. Have you tried another dealer? You may want to give VWOA a call. I prefer the plan sponsored by the mfg. even though it's underwritten by someone else. I have found in my experience that I had fewer hassles with a mfg sponsored plan than going with a strictly 3rd party provider.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Bucky:

GEICO's Extended Warranty isn't too bad for only a couple dollars a month. I have it on my Town & Country minivan even though it comes with a $250.00 deductible.

Bucky

Veteran Member
NewbieBaby:

Try Geico...They offer an extended waranty for about $4 a month. (I have this on my policy)It sounds too good to be true but I checked into it and it's legit. I think it even covers some things that VW doesn't. The catch is that you have to have the insurance through them and the car has to be new. I asked two different Geico reps. about this and they said they use it strictly to lure and keep customers, but they don't really make money off of it.
"WORD OF CAUTION" Insurance people are just as honest as car salesman.
Double check everything they say.

------------------
"If it bleeds...We can kill it"
"I ain't got time to bleed"
My personal favorite "A Man's gotta do what a Man's gotta do" Women hate this one... ;)

erickimb

Veteran Member
I just purchased one from Allstate last week. It's not the best price in the world but it seems pretty good. It's the gold plan and covers just about everything for an additional 75,000 miles. So our car is now covered to 99,000 miles for just about everything, the deductible unfortunately is $50, but that's per visit, so it's not that bad.
Price for an A4 TDI is $916.

[This message has been edited by erickimb (edited November 13, 2000).]

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
mikeg: Does your contract documentation specifically cite affiliation with VW?

I got my info on Saturday 10 minutes before closing at one dealer. I will be questioning other dealers about this. I am in the process of cosidering different contracts, but I do have an attraction for a plan that is specifically configured for work to be done at VW dealerships.

Thanks for the responses.

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
I got solicited in the mail for a Masterguard warranty after I bought my 98 Passat. I paid $850 for 7/100 bumper to bumper. Then when I sold the car, I cancelled it, and i didn'tget solicited after buying my Jetta. So at 23k I called 4 area dealers, and each pushed a different warranty. I finally got one through AcuraCare, $899 bumper to bumper 100K extensive coverage. I called Masterguard directly after trying several phone numbers, but the samegreat deal I got before didn't exist. Best thing to do is serch area dealers and be a smart shopper.

99 jetta GLS

MEAT

Veteran Member
You know guys, if you thought the car was so crappy that you need to purchase a warantee to get the car to go 100,000 miles, you should never have bought the car in the first place. With these extended warantees, you are betting the insurance company that you car will require over $800 (or whatever the premium is, plus deductable) in non-maintenance, covered repairs within 100,000 miles. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Any car built within the past five or so years should be able to go 100,000 miles with only routine maintenance; if it won't, it is only a big heap of stinky dung. IMHO

------------------
1996 Pink VW Cabrio, Barbie Edition, wide open exhaust, has been rear ended

erickimb

Veteran Member
Just because we decide to insure ourselves against possible mechanical failure does not mean we think our cars are crappy or that we are idiots.

These vehicles are mechanical and as such are likely to have a malfunction at one point or other. My 00 Jetta now has 24,000 miles on it, I have had to have the following replaced or repaired so far:

Complete dome light unit
Air bag light has been investigated 3 times
Passenger window regulator

These items almost total the amount I paid for the extended warranty, so I see this as being safe.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I think that extended warranties are not a good deal for most people, including VW drivers, because most repairs are not likely to cost more than a couple thousand bux. With the warranty, you get 2 bureaucracies (the mfg. and the insurance co.) that need to be fed with a steady stream of profits. You will also likely have extra hassles in trying to collect a claim for insurance-covered repairs, because any pay-out will reduce their profits.
That said, if your financial state is so precarious that your VISA/MasterCard can't handle an extra unexpected couple grand (max!) then perhaps an extended warranty will buy some peace of mind.

mikeg

TDI
OILMAN300
NewbieBaby,

Although it dosen't explicitly state it is affiliated with VWOA, it has the VW logo on the front of the policy & in the definition section it refers to we/our as Volkswagen of America. With the way VWOA goes after trademark infringement, I don't think the policy would have the logo on it if it weren't someway affiliated with VWOA.

As far as it being unnecessary, I've had to put in 2 claims against it. The drivers side power window switch broke & the drivers side window regulator broke within weeks of each other. I could have made a third claim to replace the radio & antenna but the dealer chose to fix it under the 2/24k warranty since it happened at around 24.7k miles. As far as I'm concerned it's money well spent.

[This message has been edited by mikeg (edited November 14, 2000).]

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
mikeg: Thanks for the info.

And ... Masterguard does exist! After two dealers who claim they have no information, a third gives me an actual brochure. ( in dealing with sales types, the distinction between "doesn't exist" and "have no information" is significant) In fine print, the brochure suggest the interested party review the Agreement prior to making the contract, which I will do. The VW plan will not be the only one I will look at. I will report significant findings as I encounter them, and Thanks to All for the responses.