EXTENDED Waranty for HPFP 2012

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Don't bother. Huge waste of money. The chances of you having this problem are extremely small. And if you do have this problem, then you will see by reading the threads that VW is more willing to fix this problem no-questions-asked now than they were a year or so ago. Why pay big money for an extended warranty when VW would fix the problem themselves without the warranty?

Now take the money we just saved you and go buy yourself that big flat-screen TV you've been wanting. :D
If I am reading your post correctly, you are saying that VW will replace the HPFP if it fails, even outside of the 5/60k warranty. Is this really true? It doesn't sound right to me.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
While my earlier comment was being slight facetious, the fact is that I do love the level of service and customer support that USAA provides. Not only have I never had any issues with them, but on the occasions where I had a problem that required their assistance, it was handled exceptionally well.

If you have ever had USAA, or if you read the reviews of them, I think you will understand.

And actually, yes, USAA does show loyalty. Not only do they offer annual dividends back to it's members based on it's profitability every year, but they also reward long time members with special discounts and rewards.
I'm glad to know that..but the "loyalty" is not loyalty. It's a business decision designed to keep their insured's, which keeps the cash flow.

The level of service when you need them though is something worth considering. :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If I am reading your post correctly, you are saying that VW will replace the HPFP if it fails, even outside of the 5/60k warranty. Is this really true? It doesn't sound right to me.
It has happened. One member here had VW replace his entire fuel system for free at 86,000 miles. This does not mean that they will always do this, but it has happened. No guarantees, though.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Even if the percent is 1/2% that is extremely high risk considering the cost to repair. Risk is a two part equation. It is the probability of an occurrence times the severity of occurrence. If the severity is high, even a low probability of occurrence makes for a high risk. I also believe that 1/2 percent is a very high probability. If you had a 1/2 percent overall failure rate on your car, you would consider it unacceptable. That would be like having it not start once every 200 days when you got up to go to work.

Its kinda like Dirty Harry. Do you feel lucky today? I purchased the extended warranty for peace of mind. It's the first time I've ever done that and I know that the manufacture statistically will make money on it, but if I'm one of the unlucky ones who get stuck with a $8K repair bill the manufacturer will lose and I will win. Anyhow, the point of this long winded post is that it is a personal choice based on ones personal evaluation of the risk (not probability - risk). I'm happy with my choice even though it won't be the right choice for others.

When we do risk analysis and risk management professionally, we look at it as (simplified version):

What is the severity of the risk?
What is the probability of occurance of the risk?
What is the chance of detecting the risk before it becomes a problem?

Rank each of those 1 if the severence, occurance, or risk of not detecting it is low. Rank a 3 for those that are medium, rank 9 for those that are high. This is subjective to YOUR tastes. In place of the 1, 3, 9 scoring for severity, you can just put dollar amount there.

Then multiply the 3 values together and see if you can live with that amount of risk exposure.

The second half of this gig is to determine the benefit: List your benefits and rank them 1 for "meh", 3 for "cool" and 9 for "I love it!"

Now take benefit/risk as a number. Can you live with that?