New project: Golf Mk4 PD TDI 4motion 6-speed

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Got my modified VW Crafter pistons back today - sweet ;)

Things that have been changed: omega bowl has been modified to PD-style-shape; valve pockets are +0.5mm deeper; oil squirter holes have been re-located based on original PD TDI pistons.

My BigBore PDE have arrived, too - but they look exactly the same as OEM ones, so I didn't take a picture.

Greetz,

Fabian

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Got my modified VW Crafter pistons back today - sweet ;)

Things that have been changed: omega bowl has been modified to PD-style-shape; valve pockets are +0.5mm deeper; oil squirter holes have been re-located based on original PD TDI pistons.

My BigBore PDE have arrived, too - but they look exactly the same as OEM ones, so I didn't take a picture.

Greetz,

Fabian
They're asking for some serious boost with the bowl volume =)

have you titrated to bowl and pockets yet?

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
They're asking for some serious boost with the bowl volume =)

have you titrated to bowl and pockets yet?
Yep, you're right ;) But actually we didn't increase the bowl volume on purpose; the only addition was due to re-shaping of the omega-bowl-peak from "smooth CR" to "PD peak".

Neither bowl nor pocket have been titrated yet; I considered DLC-coating for the entire piston incl. piston rings. However, gapless piston-rings should come first. I think Kexel (the company that did my cam shaft) can do that DLC-coating for sure. Does anyone know a good source for gapless piston rings?

Greetz,

Fabian

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Fabian, any idea how much horsepower your BigBore PDE will support? Any information on availability and pricing if you don't mind sharing? :)

Thanks,
Ash

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@K.I.T.T.: I have no confirmed data about the max hp the BigBores provide. Sad thing is that up to now nobody combined the BigBore PDE with some descent turbo; only 1756V builds etc that certainly won't max out the capacity of the BigBores. I think I will be the first one who combines BB PDE with some "slightly bigger" turbo ;)

@Whitbread: Thanks for the info! I will contact them soon and get some nice rings ;) EDIT: I took a look at the page, but it only shows rings for motorcylce applications. Do you have some parts number or so for the rings that you usually use for 81mm pistons?

@Bobby Singh: No idea about that - I run a SMF and a Sachs Motorsports clutch, good for ~530NM. I assume the DMF would crack at that torque as they are prone to failure even in OEM trim.

@turbo johan: I didn't check the CR yet - I will approach that when I meet Ruben next time. We actually didn't change the size of the bowl at all; only the rather smooth CR design has been changed to the more peak-like design of a PD piston. BTW, saw your new project and your new workshop - nice one :p

Greetz,

Fabian

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Please note that by the looks of it, these pistons have a wider 1st compression ring groove than ARL piston for example..

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Seen that, yep. I'd prefer a company here in Europe, but incase I won't find one, I will import those rings from the US.

turbo johan

Veteran Member
If you find a good company in Europe please let me know. :)
Do those totalseals work good at really high boost applications?
The older high chrome ones didn't take it to well from story's i've heard..
I've talked to some guys of totalseal at prof. motorsport expo in germany and they said it should be good..

Are those oilgallary stops welded in of just pressed in?
Pistons look nice!
CR is interesting because i've seen info that crafter pistons are 18:1.
Or is there a differents between different hp models?
Haven't had time to check it all.

Johan

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
EDIT: I took a look at the page, but it only shows rings for motorcylce applications. Do you have some parts number or so for the rings that you usually use for 81mm pistons?

Greetz,

Fabian
from one of my reciepts i found this

p/n s9205 20 3.150 bore, 1.75 2.0 3.0 these are the ring sizes
p/n s9205 40 3.170 bore, 1.75 2.0 3.0 " "

then for gapless 2nd ring only

standard p/n 208 232
.5mm over p/n 208 242
and w/ a quick call they can get you custom sizes 800-874-2753

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I've broken ring lands and bent rods on my old IDI before damaging the total seal rings.They also held up after I broke the panchi rods in my ALH. I've been running 45-100+ psi boost on a couple of different engines with these rings.They seem to be one of only a few items in my engine that I can rely on.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Fab176 said:
I took a look at the page, but it only shows rings for motorcylce applications. Do you have some parts number or so for the rings that you usually use for 81mm pistons?

Just ask to speak with Keith Jones. He has supplied me with a set that fits both BHW and CBEA (81mm) - same ring sizing between these two engines. I have also bought a set for Shadowmaker that fits his pistons (5cyl). They are being made next week. Might be the same ring sizes as yours.

Louis

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
If you find a good company in Europe please let me know. :)
Do those totalseals work good at really high boost applications?
The older high chrome ones didn't take it to well from story's i've heard..
I've talked to some guys of totalseal at prof. motorsport expo in germany and they said it should be good..

Are those oilgallary stops welded in of just pressed in?
Pistons look nice!
CR is interesting because i've seen info that crafter pistons are 18:1.
Or is there a differents between different hp models?
Haven't had time to check it all.

Johan
what day did you went to Köln? I was there the first day =)

that honda le mans engine there was equipped with 2 BW EFR turbos, to bad there were alot of people watching or they would have ended up in my pockets :D

turbo johan

Veteran Member
I was there second day :)
Lot of nice stuff there!
My pockets weren't big enough to take all nice stuff i've seen ;-)

Johan

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@turbo johan: OEM CR of the Crafter pistons is 16.8:1 according to ELSAWin. AT least for those particular 163 bhp pistons I used. The oil gallery stops are pressed in and locked with a puncher. I will have RUben take a look at them and decide then if it requires an additional weld.

@87turboquattro: I got to doublecheck the thickness of the Crafter-piston rings. I got the impression they are a bit thicker plus I have to do some mm to inch conversion ;)

@TDIsyncro: I will measure the rings I would need and might come back to you later...

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Holy mother of turbo!!!

Skipped right on past the GT3XXX and on to: :eek:

:D

and in order right to left KKK K03, Garrett GTB2056VL, Garrett GT4082KLNV:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Wow! Well, that's BIG! Thanks for receiving that turbo for me, Frankencar. But I think there is no need to waste money on shipping that turbo to Germany. So the search continues...

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
if the shipping isn't tooo bad I'll take it for the price you paid it Fabian :D

How does it compare too a 351ve?

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
:D Funny, somehow your question doesn't surprise me :p It depends, if it might fit the 3.0 CR TDI, I won't sell it. But do you agree that this huge turbo will be too much for a 2.0 PD TDI?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
330d with one of those would be nice!! are they oil controlled? as opposed to vac or electronic.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
Hmmm GT4082KLNV seems fine so we can do a new turbine housing. As you know that here in Brno CZ has to be a Garrett R&D and a friend of me manufacture a special le mans diesel vnt´s. BW has a new divided turbine housing for vtg so we can make it divided too. This kind of upgrade will make you happy because turbo manifold will be simple a efficient.

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
That's the same hino 4082v that I have, I'm planing on using it with the other hino 3571v.The 4082 compressor is a bit smaller than the he351 and the turbine is a bit bigger than the he351.I'll have no trouble spooling the 4082 when used as the low pressure turbo.The only downside as mentioned is the size and weight of these bigger vnt turbo's.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
If you don't need it, I'll buy it =)

Guess for the 3 liter we can better use a he341ve sized turbo as its still a daily driver, or not? :D

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@StingrayRT: Are you talking about using a GT4082 as a single unit with modified housing(s)?

@andy2: Will you combine your 4082 with the 3271v? Aren't both of them a little too big for compound; at leat the HP unit?

@Rub87: You try to convince me as to use a HE351 for the Audi as you want the 4082, right? ;)