23O6 Emissions Service Action

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
Just received a letter today from VW about them wanting to reprogram the ECM software in our TDI. Having a tune installed, this is not a good sign. I did check on the vw site with my VIN to see if it falls under this recall campaign, and it does not. Although there is a note in the letter that says "California regulations require that this campaign be completed prior to the time your renew your vehicle registration." Plus additional lawyer speak. Sigh. I'm hoping I don't have to send my unit in to have the program removed for the ECM update only to send it in again to have it re-installed. As it is, mine passes emissions without issue.
Just what I needed after getting hit by rocks from a dump truck two weeks ago. grrr.:eek:

SundanceGS

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition (bought back), 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Totaled), 2013 Audi Q7 TDI (current)
Just received a letter today from VW about them wanting to reprogram the ECM software in our TDI. Having a tune installed, this is not a good sign. I did check on the vw site with my VIN to see if it falls under this recall campaign, and it does not. Although there is a note in the letter that says "California regulations require that this campaign be completed prior to the time your renew your vehicle registration." Plus additional lawyer speak. Sigh. I'm hoping I don't have to send my unit in to have the program removed for the ECM update only to send it in again to have it re-installed. As it is, mine passes emissions without issue.
Just what I needed after getting hit by rocks from a dump truck two weeks ago. grrr.:eek:
I got one of these today as well... lousy timing. I've had the car for over 5 years and never received anything regarding the ECU before... I got the Malone tune 2 weeks ago and now I get this. Terrific.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Maybe you could pay the service advisor to mark your VIN as ECM RE-PROGRAM COMPLETED?
Either that, or never get close to a dealer network again.
Or beg Malone to have pity on you and give you a discount on a re-tune?
Best laid plans...

k12rs

TDI
2000 jetta TDI sold. 2013 golf TDI 6sp
Oh man I'm at the dealer now having this done. BETTER NOT SCREW UP MY MILEAGE! let's keep this going and see if there's any changes mileage , driveability , starting , ect.
Regards.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Got one of these, too. Kinda weird, in that they seem to talk about having the most efficient smog system as the reason, then talk like the main issue is an overly sensitive engine light and tweaking to not trip so easily is the reason, then state how you need to have this work done and certified so you can be registered. Which gives the impression of a major settings mod, but am I reading too much into that?

Is there any good way to get info out of VW, or state smog boards, to know exactly what the purpose is?

The other big thing is the special section to "tuners", warning about how SW and HW changes made will be deleted at the owners cost... Sounds like an expensive trip if a Stage 3 guy goes in and has turbo, custom exhaust removed and a stock one plus new DPF installed at dealer prices!!

Seriously though, even though the letter talks about costs of R&Ring your ECU to change a tune, wouldn't they just reflash from the port and not have to pull anything out?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They had updated software 6 months after the car left the factory... just about everyone does. But they must have decided the updates were necessary enough to want to do them regardless of any issues cropping up *yet*.

That is how they fix cars in the modern world, software updates. MB had them when we did PDIs, LOL. Meaning, between the time the car left the factory in Germany, and the time it got to the dealer here, something changed.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Well, yes... I've had 3 updates since I bought my 2010 used in 2011. But, it's probably 2 years since the last one... figured they'd ironed most everything out. One actually was to fix an O2 sensor being reported bad too soon. I'd just like to know more about this one, that's so vague and contradictory.

And, for those who have a tune, what's the price impact of going in with the tune in the ECU, vs vendor clearing before the dealer visit?

sabbotage

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I actually just posted in another thread I saw where someone else got this letter, but mine is a 2010 Jetta 2.0 TDI and I got the letter a few days ago as well. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow for a free detail and was gonna ask about it.

Anyone know if an update like this will affect the tunability of the ECU? I don't have a malone tune yet, but I was planning on getting a stage 2 within the next few months and hoped this update wouldn't prevent the tune from working. I'd at least like to have the newest software on the ECU when I get the tune done, but if it breaks something I'll avoid it.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Oh man I'm at the dealer now having this done. BETTER NOT SCREW UP MY MILEAGE! let's keep this going and see if there's any changes mileage , driveability , starting , ect.
Regards.
I've got my tin-foil hat on...
With the written documentation of the flash necessary to register/reregister the vehicle, CARB/EPA has just reverted every tune in the state. No more tunes, until someone puts the tune back on the ECU.

Here's the tin-foil hat part - Has CARB/EPA mandated that VW lock down the ECU against further tunes/unauthorized changes? Heck, if I were on CARB, and believed as they believe, I'd make VW make that part of the recall.

frank

Note to k12rs... I got one of those - 2002 red Zebra. Great scoot. Did you swap out the ECU on yours to that which came on the final k12gt? Worth about 5-6mpg, starts better, pulls better.

k12rs

TDI
2000 jetta TDI sold. 2013 golf TDI 6sp
Well just traveled about 200 miles can't tell any difference. Mileage about the same .
Now I'll have to re think the Malone tune I've been wanting.

Side note , I've not changed out the ECU on the bike but still enjoy it often. Cool to know there's fellow BMW riders on this forum. ATGATT.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Last edited:

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
Well just traveled about 200 miles can't tell any difference. Mileage about the same .
Now I'll have to re think the Malone tune I've been wanting.
Side note , I've not changed out the ECU on the bike but still enjoy it often. Cool to know there's fellow BMW riders on this forum. ATGATT.
Count me in as a BMW rider also. Though I sold my K12RS back in '03 due to our second child coming into this world. Hung up the helmet for a while until they get a bit older. I do miss going on long weekend rides:D

Punter01

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
I just called a nearby dealership (not in my town) and they said they will not touch a chipped car to attempt this update. So it sounds like anyone with a tune will have to remove the ECU, send it in to have the tune removed, get the new update at the dealer then send it back (more $$?) for a tune again.
I suppose when getting a tune one expects that something like this could happen.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Crap. This makes me paranoid. I haven't done any type of tuning and I probably never will. However, placebo effect is strong in This One (aka me).

I'm due for a service in 2000 miles. Going to be keeping my ear to the ground on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gothenburg

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6 spd, Candy White
Stock 2012 golf tdi here.

Had the dealer incorporate this into the 50k service (4 days ago). I was paranoid about them referencing "better emissions", which of course makes me think lower performance.

Luckily, I have noticed ZERO difference in performance at all. Might be a tad smoother actually, but I think it's a placebo effect. I really feel no difference.

I can't really comment on mileage, as I have a short city-ish commute so it's hard to tell, but I have no reason it would be anything but the same or better. If I notice anything one way or another, I'll post back.

Last edited:

sabbotage

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Stock 2012 golf tdi here.

Had the dealer incorporate this into the 50k service (4 days ago). I was paranoid about them referencing "better emissions", which of course makes me think lower performance.

Luckily, I have noticed ZERO difference in performance at all. Might be a tad smoother actually, but I think it's a placebo effect. I really feel no difference.

I can't really comment on mileage, as I have a short city-ish commute so it's hard to tell, but I have no reason it would be anything but the same or better. If I notice anything one way or another, I'll post back.

I had mine done today too. I didn't notice any performance differences on my drive home. I did get about 7 mpg less on my commute home. I usually get about 44mpg consistently on my work commute and only got 37 today. Not sure if it was because the weather was cooler or not. I'll keep an eye on it the next few days.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So using VCDS, how do you know what version of the software is in the vehicle at the moment.

I may already have it logged but maybe I might have to go to a specific block to note it.

And is it mandatory because I do not want any changes made till I get all the facts.

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Ugh, that means I have to make a trip to Les at German Diesel Motorwerks to put the stock tune back on the ecu?

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I just got this letter today, the one I received doesn't say anything about vehicle registration being a problem.

It does appear that only California/other CARB states have the restriction on registering "unfixed" vehicles.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Got the letter today. SC doesn't inspect or smog cars, so it'll be a while before I find time. I also havent had time for them to install the misfuel part either.

Oh, and I ride a '93 K1100LT too.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
I just called a nearby dealership (not in my town) and they said they will not touch a chipped car to attempt this update. So it sounds like anyone with a tune will have to remove the ECU, send it in to have the tune removed, get the new update at the dealer then send it back (more $$?) for a tune again.
I suppose when getting a tune one expects that something like this could happen.
Hmm... We need more dealer questions, to feel this out, but I don't like this one data point. Now, as I understand it, the dealer will see that it's been tuned, by checksum not matching, etc. And, it SHOULD be possible for the dealer to just overwrite the ECU with the updated version, without having to pull the ECU, correct? So, easiest route would be get the dealer update, and one trip to the tuner for one pull, tune and replace.

So, the real question is are they required to reject the update if they find "an issue", causing someone with one have to do the pull unflash install pull reflash install tango before and after... or, even worse, do they plop in a new ECU instead of just reflashing the old one if they find an issue, and call it the cost of updating yor car?

Many ways to go in this hypothetical situation...

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Worked for Audi for 8 years and have flashed/updated 100's of ecu's. if your ECU is tuned and you have it updated there is a very good chance that you will lose the tune as the update will rewrite the ECU. There is a waiver that is contained in the recall/tsb notice that the service advisor should go over with each cust and have them sighn it to verify they know they will lose any tune. Had it happen a few times where we updated a car and the cust comes back and complained there tune was gone after the update. The dealership had to pay for one cust to have the tune reinstalled as the advisor didn't let them know and have them sighn the waiver.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I just got this letter in the mail today. Checked over on MyTurboDiesel and there is a guy over there complaining of a rougher idle and multiple shorter regens.
I think I am going to procrastinate on this as there may be a few updates to the update before this is all settled.

For those who have had the work done, please keep posting results to calm down paranoid owners like me :)

Punter01

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
Hmm... We need more dealer questions, to feel this out, but I don't like this one data point. Now, as I understand it, the dealer will see that it's been tuned, by checksum not matching, etc. And, it SHOULD be possible for the dealer to just overwrite the ECU with the updated version, without having to pull the ECU, correct? So, easiest route would be get the dealer update, and one trip to the tuner for one pull, tune and replace.

So, the real question is are they required to reject the update if they find "an issue", causing someone with one have to do the pull unflash install pull reflash install tango before and after... or, even worse, do they plop in a new ECU instead of just reflashing the old one if they find an issue, and call it the cost of updating yor car?

Many ways to go in this hypothetical situation...
Interesting points DriverJon. My registration renewal was sitting on the table when I got the letter so I immediately went online and renewed. We'll see if I get my sticker. If so, I'll have a year to ponder this.
There's a dealership nearby that I'll approach about this if I have to. I think one of the service writers has a neuspeed tune on his Golf

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Let me quote from the letter:

The vehicle's engine management software has been improved to assure your vehicle's tailpipe emissions are optimized and operating efficiently. Under certain operating conditions, the earlier strategy may have increased the chance of the vehicle's MIL light illuminating. If the MIL illuminates for any reason, your vehicle will not pass an IM emissions inspection in some regions.

So sounds like they did not change any fuel maps or anything, maybe just thresholds for the algorithm that sets of the MIL light. This is why there are no drivability or mileage differences have been noticed.

Then it mentions EPA cooperation - so they must have had to get it approved by the EPA or get some kind of an exception for a higher threshold value.

Sounds like this might be of value to people driving with the check engine light on without any real issues and can't get it resolved (cheaply).

So if you don't have the CEL on, you can probably keep driving and ignore the campaign.

I really do not see any sign of any changes to the ECU that will affect engine performance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got this letter yesterday, which I found funny, as the new owner of my Golf picked it up the previous evening. I'll let him know. My car hasn't seen the dealer since I drove it off the lot in October of '11, so I know it hasn't been reflashed. Seemed to run fine.