Rattle from Front End

Mad_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Highline TDI - 6sp Manual
Okay so this rattle developed about a month ago. Since I was still driving on the original shocks, and was planning on swapping them out sometime this summer, I rebuilt the front end while it was disassembled. Replaced: LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, left side inner tie rod (threads were knackered), shocks, springs, strut mounts and all of the single use nuts and bolts.

The rattle can be heard (barely) with the windows rolled up, and is very noticeable rolled down. It seems to be coming more from the middle to the passenger side. It is particularly noticeable on washboard roads, but can be heard on single, sharp bumps. I get the rattle with or without my aluminum skid plate. I've put the car on jack stands and have hit various components to try to duplicate the rattle but no success. I'm at my wits-end and need some help. Does anyone have any ideas on where else I can look?

PS. I spent yesterday reading the numerous threads on front end rattles, but most are fixed by replacing the same parts as I have.

rustwagen

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2002 New Beetle TDI
Check for brake pad movement in the caliper. Many aftermarket pads have some play when mounted.

-Jason in Albuquerque

Mad_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Highline TDI - 6sp Manual
rustwagen said:
Check for brake pad movement in the caliper. Many aftermarket pads have some play when mounted.
-Jason in Albuquerque
I just went out with my trusty big azz screwdriver and it seems that the back pad on the front left tire has tons of play. It looks like (and sounds like) that may be it. I had ruled that out because it was only a couple of months ago that I swapped in some Akebono's.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.