I need advice.

Ralph Mowry

TDI
2012 Golf 2dr
I love my 2 door Golf. But, I'm frustrated and ready to let VW take it back. Heres what happened. I left a store last fall. Where upon the car started flashing codes and lost all its power. My car is a 2012. I had the APR flash done previously. I took the car to a good local mechanic. His diagnostics couldn't read the codes. I took it to the local VW dealer. After a week and some hesitation they told me my turbo was bad. I didn't trust the way they told me. Something felt wrong. But, I bought the Kerma turbo. After a really tough swap, done by a diesel Mechanic with decades of experience, my car is still the same. The local VW dealers won't work with him. Almost no advice. The one tidbit he got was that there was one test they can run that tests total engine pressure. I have 2 questions. Is this car saveable? Does anyone have an idea whats going on? Is it possibly related to the APR flash? The 2nd question is this: If I take my car for the buyout, and its flashing codes-whats going to happen? Does anyone have any experience here? Thanks guys.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
>Took it to a good mechanic
>Does not have the right tools, but i let him work on it anyways!
Mistake #1, i guess if you trust him from the past then i guess thats not so bad.
>took it to dealership
>even bigger mistake
dont do that again.
your turbo is fine, screw that scum sucking dirt bag dealership scum

you never ever got a report from the dealership for the codes, you should sue them

now as for what to do, hope you did a decent upgrade on the turbo you got. you never fix any problems at all.

you need a VCDS and a VAG-COM cable. you can buy them used or new for a few hundred. with out any codes or diagnostic knowledge, we cant help you at all.

report back once you go to autozone, and get a code reader for free to use and find the codes. this is your first step. you can read and clear codes with any reader. you cant do anything else though that you do need that vag-com cable for.

asking us if the car is salvageable, is like asking us about if your pet fish is going to die, I HAVE NO IDEA. we need more information.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What is "the Kerma turbo"? Is it a stock replacement, or something else? If it's a stock replacement then things will probably be easier to fix. If it's something else that deletes emissions, then you've got to get the car to someone really knowledgeable.

Unfortunately you're kind of in the middle of nowhere. There's a good TDI guru in Port Jervis, and another good one in Columbia NJ. If you really want your car sorted it will be quicker and probably less expensive to get it to one of them.

You've gone down a road that it's going to take some effort to return from. It may be more expedient to sell the car back to VW (if you still can) and buy a bought back and fixed Golf that doesn't have the same issues.