GTB1756VK boost on 1.9TDI

moivw

Veteran Member
TDI
Séat ibiza(s): ahu and pd100
Don t know where to post, so many threads on 1756, well another experience, another feedback, i installed it with pd150 nozzles, it spools... i did not believe .. better than bv39 turbo, sooner, it builds boost from around 1300 rpm (WITH stock downpipe). But i did not put the stop screw, i have to put it back, btw, is this dangerous for the turbo to run like this?

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Don t know where to post, so many threads on 1756, well another experience, another feedback, i installed it with pd150 nozzles, it spools... i did not believe .. better than bv39 turbo, sooner, it builds boost from around 1300 rpm (WITH stock downpipe). But i did not put the stop screw, i have to put it back, btw, is this dangerous for the turbo to run like this?
And, if it is on the PD you list, dangerous for your cam too.

asap03

Veteran Member
TDI
G5 1.9TDI PD 2007 BXE
I`m sorry but I don`t get it. What can do overboost to the PD cam?

Last edited:

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
I have a 1756vk on a 1.9 ALH.

It spools if i get on the throttle early.
But is lags if i try to go from cruising to passing.

It lacks the playfulness of the vnt17.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I have a 1756vk on a 1.9 ALH.

It spools if i get on the throttle early.
But is lags if i try to go from cruising to passing.

It lacks the playfulness of the vnt17.
If you drive 55, sure. If you're doing 70+ mph, you should not have this issue or its setup wrong.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Two years now on 1756 on ALH with OM pipe intake, large s.s. IC pipes, tubular E.M., free-flow DP and Malone stage 5 custom tune. This turbo likes the high side of the rpm scale. Very little spool in the 1500-2000 day-to-day driving commute. Just not there like the 15, 17 or 17/22...BUT, if you stomp it above the 2000 zone OMG, it just takes off! It seems to be a very tune dependent turbo and yes requires appropriate air in/out mods. ET's stay very respectful even with a upgraded SMP...but this car is in a coastal environment most times.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I agree it is very tune-dependant and that's for all the turbos out there. I'm back on a VNT17 with a smoke-free tune and I find it quite laggy for a small turbo. I think it's too lean right now, it does not spool enough to my taste at 2000rpm.

Compared to by 1756, it was spooling like crazy but the tune was quite rich also.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Depends a lot on the tune if you've read the thread.
The latest generation of turbos with ceramic ball bearings spools
a LOT faster from all reports.

https://gottuned.com/product/gtd1756vrk-billet-wheel-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/